Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

General Area in 49548 : Real Estate Advice

  • All11
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 5
Thu Oct 25, 2012
Looking For A Deal! answered:
I'm guessing you are preparing to appeal your taxes . . . My husband and I appealed ours 3 years ago. We consulted with attorneys, etc. but decided to fight on our own. My best advice is to build your case by first going to the township or city and receive your property card. Make sure that everything is accurate - - ie. measurements, etc. Next, we requested the property cards of neighboring homes with similar features and made comparisons. It took us two years, but we successfully had our taxes reduced. After we were denied at the township level, we appealed to the state tax tribunal. There was a terrible back-log in cases, so it took over a year before the tax tribunal ever scheduled a hearing. As the hearing approached, the township assessor contacted us to settle, which we did. We had purchased the house (which was a foreclosure) for $100,000. The township taxed us based on the value of $177,000, which they claimed the house was worth. As I stated, we reduced the taxable value to $57,800.

It was a tough and stressful battle, but definitely worth it!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 20, 2008
Sarah Dodgson answered:
The market is strong in Grand Rapids for duplexes. The area has many universities and colleges and these areas tend to be great for rental opportunities. Grand Valley is a large university and a good place to start. Walker is a good area, close to the university. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Oct 25, 2012
Dallas Texas answered:
GREAT QUESTION: However banks are not in the market to be landlord for tenants
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 16, 2008
smith3gary answered:
Beth, Glad to hear you're considering coming back to Michigan. There are many real estate professionals under member search on Trulia that would be glad to assist.

Was there a specific question? Simply reply to this question on Trulia and members will try to assist. Search for homes is on the left hand side of this website ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 25, 2011
Missy Caulk answered:
Before you walk away, call Wells Fargo and have a chat. Tell them your thoughts, they will possibly offer you to refinance out of the Adjustable rate on the rental. Also I would send an certified letter to the renters telling them to pay in full or get out. Walking away should be a last resort.
You can also call another lender to refinance.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice