The documents that need to be submitted in a short sale are the agency documents between the seller and the listing agent (Listing agreement).
In addition the bank will request:
2. A copy of the ratified sales contract
3. A copy of the sellers past 2 or 3 years of W-2's and tax returns
4. Most recent 2 months pay stubs
5. Most recent 90 days of bank statements from all accounts.
6. Letter explaining why you can no longer make payments on the home or why the need to sell. (Hardship Letter).
There are several reasons the bank will accept as a legitimate hardship: loss of primary family member, medical, job loss in which income is not able to be recouped based on economy, relocation for job where that job can not be replaced in the current area, sometimes divorce, and a few others.