Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

How To... in 19152 : Real Estate Advice

  • All27
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying16
  • Home Selling5
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 19
Tue Jan 29, 2013
Ruth and Perry Mistry answered:
Regret to hear of your problem.

Who is the lender?

0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Suzanne MacDowell answered:
Can you explain what you mean by "Sheriff Sale Homes"? Sheriff's sales are basically auctions where homes are sold that are being foreclosed on. Typically, at least these days, they go back to the bank because the bidding is so low the bank outbids everyone else in hopes of recovering some of their losses by listing it with a realtor. Even if the bank does not take it back, Sheriff's auctions are risky investments. You don't get a chance to look at the house before you buy, you don't get a home inspection, you basically don't know WHAT you are buying. If the home has a leaking oil tank, or a bad septic system, or some other major problem, bad roof, bad foundation, you are stuck with it, Plus you have to have a lot of cash to hand over at the time of the auction and have to come up with the balance within a very short time, so most mortgages are out of the question.

In my opinion, you would be far better off purchasing a Short Sale property or even a bank owned property (one the bank took back at the Sheriff's Sale). At least that way you get to see the interior of the home and have a home inspection done prior to purchase.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 26, 2013
Ron Thomas answered:
We have no way to search this for you; you have two choices,
You can go down to your Country Recorder's Office and ask them, or,
you can ask a Title Officer at a local Title Company to do a search for you. It might cost something, it might not.

Good luck and may God bless
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 15, 2011
Kathleen Sheridan answered:
You can contact me for some recommendations. Your particular needs will determine which attorney will be the better choice.

Kathleen Sheridan
Weichert, Realtors - McCarthy Associates
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 11, 2011
Gina asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Shari Anderson answered:
Certainly, I have investor clients that may have interest....Are the properties for sale already listed?
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 30, 2010
Aaron Gray answered:
What is your question? Are you looking for an agent or guidance on whether or not to purchase?
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 19, 2010
Timothy Garrity answered:
Hi, Wilbert.

Taking out a loan on land in order to pay off taxes might prove difficult in today's lending environment, but there may be a few other options for you. If you need a good mortgage contact, please let me know and I'll help you out.

Best of luck with your search!


Timothy M. Garrity | Brown McKinney Real Estate, Co.
Real Estate Professional & Consultant Email| Website
215-825-2250 x 1007 Office | 267-879-2716 Mobile | 267-519-5490 Fax
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 14, 2010
Scott Godzyk answered:
Unfortanately they do not conduct spot approvals any longer, the whole condo project will need to get approved, most times if you are getting a loan, the loan officer may assist in getting the documents to the management to complete it. There is limitation on how many units can be rented, what percenatge of owners that can be delinquint etc. It is not an easy process. It is also something you can ask the condo board to get done as it will increase the value in your condo in the long run by opening it up to more buyers. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 11, 2017
Frank McGovern answered:
To the best of my knowledge, you can transfer it to any city or state in the continental US. Its not only good for where you originally got the voucher. Feel free to give me a call if you need further assistance. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Chris and Stephanie Somers answered:
Big Mike,

I believe (do not quote me on this) you need to present architectural drawings for both neighborhood approval and city zoning for permission to change the zoning from apartment to condo. Once you get approval, it would be a good idea to get the condos qualified as FHA approved dwellings for an easier sale. You will have to be given different tax id's for each unit and you may want to apply for a tax abatement if you will be making significant improvements.

I know my answers are a little vague. I can put you in touch with my husband Chris who has a better grasp on the process.

My 2 cents: I know that Philadelphia has a lot of condos for sale right now. It may be a better plan to look into the condo idea for the future. Once the condo market inventory has leveled off a bit in a few years, you may be able to yield more money from your conversion.

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat May 16, 2009
James Gordon ABR SFR SRS answered:
The MLS is a broker to broker exchange of properties available of sale and the offer of compensation for cooperation in the sale of the property by brokers other than the listing brokerage. The way to remove your home from the Multiple Listing Service is to contact the agent that you listed your property with or that agents broker and withdraw your property from the market.
If you can not contact the agent that listed your home that agents broker may be the other option.
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 7, 2009
Sharon Harris answered:
Not sure have you asked your attorney. I have heard that there is a number of times it has to run. It may be different in Philly then it is here in Hanover. Good luck...
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 28, 2010
Bruce Lang answered:
For anyone else in this situation a buyer is entitled to a financial statement of the condo, a realtor or Attu or both,s help......second, check the public records for the developer for liens, suits etc.

It is important not that the developer does or doesn't go bankrupt but the financial health of the condo. What's the reserves? Delinquencies?

The other issue is lending. Always look to see if it's Fannie/Freddie approved. Also check if trident /wells/bank of America will do jumbos....if not think twice. Resale depends on these factors

As you mentioned atty is always an option. I'd also recommend an agent with a lot of new construction experience. Having sold at 2200 arch, the ritz, the aria, the western union building and the symphony house...i have seen the gambit

Bruce Lang
Cold well banker realty
2673126221 cell
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 3, 2009
Peter Lavelle answered:
Mr. Gatto,

I have an LLC in place for the purpose of doing business and it is what suites my needs. I wouls suggest you speak with your accountant or attorney to figure what would best suite you. If you need, we have have those professionals available for you.

PeterB. Lavelle, GRI
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 15, 2008
Chris and Stephanie Somers answered:
You need to price it right, have it super clean and tidy and adverstise it. Then you need to be able to do all the showings (be prepared for cancellations and no shows), you will need to have to be able to assess the creditworthiness of your potential tenant, have them fill out an application and do the best you can to determine how their credit is and so forth...

Are you sure you want to do it on your own ?

If so, I would look on Craigslist what the other ones are being advertised for and put your own craigslist ad up ?

Good luck !

Maybe try it for 2 weeks or so ? And then call a real estate expert would not be a bad plan.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 8, 2010
Peter Lavelle answered:
Hi Bonn,
If you plan on managing yourself, you have to take classes over at the Philadelphia Housing Authority located on Broad St. The house and / or units have to inspected by the PHA inspectors, and if there are any deficiencies, they have to be corrected, and then reinspected. PHA also allows landlords to promote their rentals on certain Saturdays at PHA. This will also allow you an opportunity to speak with Housing Voucher, not called Section 8 anymore, recipients.
As for eligible voucher holders, there are approximately 18,000 and housing is needed.
It can seem a little confusing, however, do feel free to give me a call (215) 906-6702, and I can help walk you through this.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Hey Vincent,
Best thing to do will be to keep looking on Craigslist. You will also find some other listings in the Philly Inquirer and also Daily News. The price is going to depend on whether you looking for a 2 bedroom or a studio. There are places in that price range but its all going to depend on what your needs are. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jul 12, 2008
Chris and Stephanie Somers answered:
If you are looking to rent in Port Richmond, PA I would look on craigslist number 1. Secondly, you can look in the local newspaper "Port Richmond Star". You can also visit our website below to search for rentals. We have an office in Port Richmond and can also refer you to the rental department. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice