Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 19132 : Real Estate Advice

  • All13
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 39
Sun Feb 1, 2015
Dmytro V. Bova answered:
A good wood flooring is always s better idea!
Dmytro V. Bova
Main Line Investors Group
Property Management
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 28, 2014
Sheri Curci answered:
YES we do.Brian,

feel free to call me Sat after 11 an so we can talk?

All the Best John Curci RE/MAX 215-680-9955
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 17, 2014
Larry Lichtman answered:
Hi Clee,

It all depends on its current condition. Is it demoed and cleaned out, ready to renovate?

What type of flooring, HVAC, plumbing, electric needs to be done. If you want a french drain and sump pump system installed to waterproof the basement, that requires digging up the basement floor. Very labor intensive and can be costly.

A good guide would be about $24 up to $36 per square foot complete. maybe even less. Again, it all depends on condition now and what needs to be done. My guess would be approximately $14-$18K total.

Please feel free to call me if you would like a referral to very good, very competitively priced contractors. We manage over 600+ properties in the area and have used many contractors over the years to find the best and yet least expensive ones who are now our preferred service providers. We recommend only the best who we have had great experience with.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman, CNE
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994

Real Estate Sales & Leasing
Property Management & Insurance
1611 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Office: (215) 271-7070
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Tracy R Robinson answered:
Will add you to my list of contractors. Do you have a website or brouchues.

Tracy Robinson-Realtor
62 S. Main Street
Yardley, Pa 19067
Office Ph: 215-493-0200 ext 1087
Direct Ph: 267-395-0251
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 31, 2012
Darrell D. Drouillard answered:
Hi Shaheed!

It's best to find local contractors and obtain bids than to use this forum. When you obtain your bids, find out how the work will be done - ie, will they fish the wires through the walls (which may only be an option for 40-60% of the outlets/switches) or will they cut channels in the drywall?

As part of the bid, verify if they are responsible for any of the damage done to the walls, because there will be some and it may be extensive. If not, that would be a second bid for drywall or panelling repair.

Good Luck!
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 9, 2012
Fsola27 answered:
I have used sinks, toilets etc, and also offer low pricing on installation in philly email me
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat May 19, 2012
Ana Barlow answered:
Hi Scotty B:

Zoning costs and taxes are specific to a project / property. You will not find the answer to your very broad question in this forum. If you are working with an experienced realtor they may be able to assist you by guiding you to the processes by which that information is derived. If you are not working with an agent and decide you need one I would be happy to meet with you regarding a new construction project. Feel free to contact me privately, my information is found below.

Ana Barlow
Barlow and Birdsall Group
Keller Williams Realty Center City
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu May 17, 2012
R. Eric Axelson answered:
Hi Henry, yes, in fairness to neighboring property owners and the public, a permit is necessary. If the roofer was licensed and bonded/insured, he should have pulled permits. Ofttimes the property owner does not bother or know to ask to see them. Ultimately, however, it is the property owner's responsibility for any work performed.

If the work performed was not permitted, the city could require that it be redone (worst case) or if the building inspector inspects and finds the work to be satisfactory / decides to allow it to remain, the property owner and/or roofer may simply be fined.

If you are fined, you could go after the roofer for redress.

You should consult an attorney if you need more help.

Likewise, if you ever need help negotiating a commercial lease in 19107, feel free to contact me.

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International y
267.507.2287 d
856.617.1212 m
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Larry Lichtman answered:
?? You must make contact with the owners of the properties, regardless of whether they are pre-foreclosure, REOs, etc... Only the owner of record can enter into contracts for work on the property.

Good Luck in your endeavors

All the best,
Larry Lichtman
(267) 254-7994
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 28, 2012
Roland Vinyard answered:
I assume those that moved in are tenants. You can buy the home subject to their tenancy. In my opinion, homes with tenants are a bit harder to sell and command somewhat less money. Yours could be an exception. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 26, 2012
Robert D Hughes answered:
Rubim, best to get quotes from tree removal companies that deal with Philadelphia. They will be able to give you a ball-park estimate and whether or not permits are required. Past clients have had success with this company Rubim. Phone: (877) 604-0606

Good luck in your purchase,

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 19, 2011
Ana Barlow answered:
Properties are zoned, some can be changed with a varience, the property will need to meet specific zoning requirements for the area for any conversion to be considered.

You need a real estate attorney to begin with.

Ana Barlow, Coldwell Banker Preferred, Philadelphia
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 12, 2012
It has been years since I closed one of these, I do not remember requiring a full title search, maybe they are just requiring an update. The reason would be to make sure there are no mechanic liens against the property for the work completed to that point. Hope this helps, good luck, ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 8, 2012
Hello Totally,

I use Rocco Lombardo 215 779 7743. He is also a 203k consultant so he understands the whole process.
Let me know how you make out.

Best Regards,
Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending
Southampton Pa
267 992 7276
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 29, 2014
Belinda Johnson answered:
Contact Derrick with Ultimate concrete, he can help you out. 215-848-2889 or visit his web-site. Ultimate

Belinda Johnson
Keller Williams Real Estate
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 3, 2014
Charles Balducci answered:
`I doubt that you will have the need. There are many existing options around the vicinity. And even if you want to adapt an existing floor plan to include a self-contained living situation, the zoning will not change since it is technically not a multi-family situation with a private front entrance, separate HVAC, meters etc. Yet, the proper permits and paperwork will have to be presented to L&I through your architect and contractor. I am a multi-family specialist so please feel free to contact me to explore your options.

Charles Balducci, 215.531.2000
Coldwell Banker Preferred, Avenue Arts
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 24, 2011
Kirsten Wallace answered:
Dear Home Owner,
Unfortunately, there is no "uniform" definition of a bedroom. You also don't say whether the bedroom is above or below grade. For instance, under FHA lending and appraisal standards, if the bedroom is below grade, and the window sill is higher than 44 inches from the floor and lacks a net clear opening of at least 24" x 36", the appraiser may not consider the room a bedroom. No mention is made of a closet in FHA standards. Alternatively, local jurisdiction and custom, as well as residential building codes, may have requirements for what constitutes a bedroom. For example, requirements might include adequate area to accommodate a bed and other bedroom furniture; privacy, such as a door; an emergency exit, such as a window with adequate clearance, and a closet. But in neighborhoods with older homes built prior to WWII, it would not be uncommon for bedrooms to lack a closet. In that case, it would depend upon the comparable properties as to what constitutes a bedroom. In other words, there is no "definition" of what constitutes a "bedroom," and unfortunately, it might depend on several factors. You should ask for an explanation, and take a look at the comparable properties used for the evaluation. Alternatively, check out and see if you can get more information. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 12, 2011
Timothy Garrity answered:
Hi, Ralph.

I specialize in working with investors just like you. Please let me know what I can do to assist you with your next project.

Take care.


Timothy M. Garrity | Brown McKinney Real Estate, Co.
Real Estate Professional & Consultant Email| Website
215-825-2250 x 1007 Office | 267-879-2716 Mobile | 267-318-7004 Fax
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Does the complex allow you to do that--if you haven't checked do check beforehand--yes, permits are necessary, check with your licensed contractor and or local building's department for additional information ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 28, 2010
Dan Chase answered:
The builder probably filed building plans with city hall when it was built. You may be able to find them there. Maybe code enforcement would be the right office to ask.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice