Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

14625 : Real Estate Advice

  • All3
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 195
Sun Jan 18, 2009
Kelly Herman & Kim Mattice answered:
Hello there,

County Tax Liens against your property complicate the sale of your home. The real question is, has or when will the county take tiltle to the property. Once this occurs you lose any right or claim to the property, and the new owner (the county) may keep the property or dispose of it by sale. The tax liens will be the first to be paid in the proceeds of the sale and then the mortgage. The homeowner now former homeowner has certain rights on payment of the taxes (timelines). You should consider talking to a real estate attorney to find out exacly what your rights are.

The question then is how much is the home worth, how much do you owe. Are you in arrears in mortgage payments. If so how long? etc etc. Will there be any proceeds left when the home is sold? If the homeowner does not have enough in the proceeds and cannot close this results in a short sale. Someone has to come up with the difference. If you are short and obviously cannot pay then the buyer pays. This needs to be disclosed to any potential buyer during the listing.

So as you can tell there are many factors weighing into the process of selling your home. The answer to your question is if at the end of the sale and going to the closing table if everything breaks even it's a regular sale and the proceeds go to payment of taxes, mortgae, and any other lien holders. Permission may need to be granted from each lien holder in writing that a sale can go forward.

I strongly encourage you to contact an attorney right away, or pay the taxes.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 7, 2009
Kristen Wahl answered:
Hi Katie, this home is actually in Rochester MN, not NY, so you will probably get a better response from local agents if you post it there. Good luck!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 20, 2009
tom "TJ" roberts answered:
Amy,I believe nx yr you can,since they are always a yr in arrears,so your parents paid them.But good ?

TJ ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 11, 2009
Bob Kirby answered:
Sandra, The tank could have had 5/8 full when you closed, and the gage is hung up at 1/2 now and empty. We have had a very cold fall and cold far below normal since you closed. If the tank had 5/8 and lasted to now it would seem you did pretty good. A oil company could use a heating day index to calculate approximatly how many oil you would have used since then. I always encourage the sellers to fill the tank to the top with the oil companys invoice stating that and have buyers pay for full tank. If in late spring or summer buyers sometimes don't want the extra cost at closing. You could have had the seller call the oil company and pumped the tank out at a small charge. ob Kirby RE/MAX First ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 6, 2008
Dallas Texas answered:
Best to confer with a real estate attorney, and lender can MIGHT OR COULD STOP the foreclosure if you make attempts to try to resolve payments issues that could be reasonable for you. However if not ....yes once the home goes to auction your days are numbered to move, if not the bank will have to file eviction papers on you.
Sorry to hear about your circumstance.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Dec 12, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
I own rental property in Rochester...I lease to Section 8 which is government subsidized and have been very pleased with the outcome.

You must have excellent representation there...I have been burned by property management companies and it took a long time to get the right person to manage.

contact me off line and I will give you the name of my Realtor. Contact me at
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 28, 2010
Gail Gladstone answered:
This is a very popular investment and has been for years. I have an investment property in Rochester myself and if you contact me off line at, I will be happy to recommend the Realtor who has been so helpful to me, not only in buying and selling, but also in property management. ... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 27, 2009
Leif Mermagen answered:
Hello Michael,
The best thing for you to do is to bring in a realtor that is knowledgeable of your area. Any qualified realtor will put together a comapartive market analysis to show you exactly how your home fits into the current market.

As for the answer to your original question, the market has showed some signs of slowing down by means of less activity but has otherwise remained stable. The good news in that the value of the homes are not going down as a whole.

There are some circumstaces that have led to some sellers losing a bit of their original investment. One of the most common reasons was that 3 or 4 years ago the market was smoking hot and that resulted in people getting into competitve situations as buyers and paying well over asking price for the home.

I could probably type my fingers off on the subject but I won't. Instead, if you would like the opportunity to chat in person about what you have and what it is worth, you can give me a call or an email anytime. I am very familiar with Park Ave having lived there for quite a while. As well as living there I have sold quite a few properties in and around that area, including 2 beautiful homes on Sibley Place and 1 on Granger that closed this week.

I love the area and would love to help you out in all this if you would like. I can meet with you even just to satisfy youy curiosity.

Whatever you need fell free to call.

Leif Mermagen
LSP for Nothnagle Realtors
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 14, 2008
Elayne Tiller, Realtor, GRI, QSC answered:
Hi Marilyn.......The tax laws are so complicated that you should ask a tax expert, which would be a tax accountant in your area. Ask your friends or co-workers for recommendations, and call your local Board of Realtors, too. They may have affiliate members that are tax accountants. Elayne Tiller, GRI, 231-632-0035 or, Real Estate One, Traverse City, MI ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jan 30, 2009
Michael Walker answered:
An agent isn't legally able to comment on the crime rate or what type of problems if any that you'd encounter in an area. If you'd like to get that info ... it's best to contact the police in that area or get your feedback from someone that lives in the area.

As for the tenants and the turnover -- your agent should be requesting to see the rent rolls and the two of you can review the findings.

If you'd like to find out any further particulars on this property ... I'd be happy to help you with those!

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 24, 2008
Karen Wingender answered:
Here are some tips to help you raise credit score:

1. Pay everything on time! Even if it’s only the minimum payment.
2. Pull a copy of your credit reports from all three reporting bureaus. You can obtain free copies from (I believe they allow you to pull a report annually for no charge).
3. Check for errors on your credit report. You can file a dispute to correct inaccuracies.
4. It’s better to have several credit cards open with low balances versus one card with a high balance. Frequently opening and closing accounts in a short time span can result in a lower score.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Nov 29, 2009
Raymond E. Camp answered:
Laurel, Most of them are advertised each year in the local papers; Monroe County would be the Democrat and Chronicle. You could also contact the county clerk or town clerk in area you are interested in.
Thanks, Ray
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Gail Gladstone answered:
I live downstate in Long Island and have had properties in Rochester for several years. As ownership reduces, rentals increase there. One of the properties I owned was a 2-family purchased sight unseen from a source who was not reliable. We were happy to sell it soon after. The other property was a burnout that we had rebuilt and has been a rental ever since and we are seeing a return.

the key here is knowing who you are working with. I found a Realtor who really works hard for us and also manages the property for us in terms of being there for any issues that arise and seeing that they are cared for. I have referred several out of area/country buyers/investors to him and everyone is quite satisfied with how he works and what he has done for them.

If you contact me off line at, I will be happy to share his information with you.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 30, 2008
Ron Mazza answered:
I would like to see information posted on all local resources for Sales Qualifing, Remiedial, Brokers and CE courses. to include schedules, pricing, etc.. All training opportunities made available through Nothnagle as well. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Aug 7, 2012
Cameron Piper answered:

If a website could accomplish everything that you are outlining in this post, there wouldn't be such a thing as a real estate agent. The reality is that the internet is only part of the full service marketing offer and should be viewed in the appropriate context. Certainly most every buyer starts out on the internet but often they are just looking at that point. To accomplish what you are asking you will need a high energy - high octane realtor to get the job done.

Cameron Piper
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 27, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
Please discuss with your attorney...his lender and loan officer should have done credit checks and this would have come up on the report right from the beginning.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 20, 2015
Pascual Paul Tarrats answered:
You should have hired a buyers agent which most likly would have paid by Ryan. Sellers and their agents know that a Real Estate agent are more likely to get the job done, and so are willing to pay their commission. Also because their YOUR agent, they have better powers to negotiate, as they know what to say, and how to say it. Most times, once you go at it alone, it's hard then to bring in a agent to negotiate, but it doesn't hurt to try. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 8, 2008
Barbara Carter answered:
Check with your agent. The purchase offer should have been contingent on mortgage approval.
Good Luck
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 3, 2008
Vicky Chrisner answered:
Disclosure: I am not an attorney, you need one. I do not work in your area. What follows is just my 2 cents, which is worth, about, 2 cents.

1. You must have known about the dog when you put the offer in, so what's changed?
2. Did you pick your home inspector? Doesn't matter what your friend says unless you're still in the home inspection period.
Unless you can negotiate otherwise, you could lose more than your deposit. It's back to the negotiation table. I don't know about in NY, but in VA they can wait 5 years before filing a lawsuit against you, and can hold you liable for any additional costs to them as a result of your default.

Having said all of that - do you have any contingencies left in your contract? CALL YOUR AGENT.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 2, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
Please seek the advice of 1) your attorney and 2) a mortgage broker. If you need a mortgage broker to speak with who has extensive experience in credit repair, contact me off line at for a recommenation. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search Advice