Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

11778 : Real Estate Advice

  • All18
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying10
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 20
Wed Aug 6, 2014
Thomas Brady answered:
Yes it's the same development. Out of 8 available listings 7 say no pets, one says cat or dog. I tend to think that the one allowing pets is in error, but if you are interested I would be happy to make a call and find out.
Thank you
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Barbara Carter answered:
The lease would dictate the rules that were agreed to by the landlord and tenant.

Best of Luck
Barbara Carter
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 7, 2015
Christopher Lefebvre answered:
You should be able to contact a local insurance agent for help. Have you tried that?
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 4, 2016
Anna M Brocco answered:
For any necessary legal advice do consult with your attorney; as for suing an inspector, it really depends on the exact issue, again consult with your attorney.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 26, 2012
Anna M Brocco answered:
Without much information--do you plan on selling the property you currently own, can you carry another mortgage, other expenses, etc., or will you be purchasing in cash; are you being foreclosed, if so before considering any other purchase, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate, see what options you may have.... ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Barbara Moniuszko answered:
Please call me. I will be happy to help you with it.

Thank you,

Barbara Moniuszko, Broker Associate

Baird & Warner

543 Pennsylvania Ave.

Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

(Mobile) 708-650-6665 ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 3, 2011
Lisa Molinelli answered:
Many factors can determine the value of your home. Traditionally, if the home has had updates, it would hold a higher value. If you'd like, you may contact me, or another local agent to draw up a Market Analysis of your home based on what features, etc., your home has. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 23, 2014
Martina Ryan answered:
Be careful when renting Basement apartments as they are not legal in NY & the fines can be huge. Check the C of O before you start your renovation. Good luck.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Tim Moore answered:
Not sure what you mean by "go infront" but you will be subject to the rules of the co-op.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Richard Wind, RA, SFR answered:
The fall Zone can be Certified by a Licensed Land Surveyor, they will need to come out to the property & document the existing conditions.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Dec 8, 2009
Jeff K answered:
A BR must have a closet to be a BR. Otherwise, it's a study/den/bonus room - whatever.

I'm not sure if there is a specific minimum size though ... that 6x8 is really small. Your town will have codes that govern that - easy enough to check ... ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 28, 2009
Gail Gladstone answered:
Some of the finest home building was done at the turn of the century and some of the worst workmanship can be found in homes built in 2009. What does it matter.

What is important is that the house is in good condition; it has probably been updated in many ways over the years.

I myself prefer older homes...they have so much more character.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 21, 2010
Grace Hanamoto answered:
Hello Barbara and thanks for your post.

Typically, the local MLS will auto-fill certain aspects of any property listing from County or township records, such as the APN or Assessor's Parcel Number, the square footage of the home and lot, and the age of the property. Sometimes, owners make changes to the home's square footage without the approval of the local building departments, and the increased size is not noted in the government records and does not get updated into the MLS's database. As a result, there is difference between what the government database will show for the home and what the owner believes is the actual characteristic of the home.

As a result, some (not all) MLS services do allow us--as Realtors--to insert different square footages or property information into the listing, but will provide a note on the listing that the updated information is "from the owner" or a "representation from the owner," so anyone who sees these differences will see that the amounts will differ from the information on file with the local government. If the MLS system in your area pulls data only from the government database and does not allow for changes as I've noted earlier, the differences in the property's characteristics will remain on the MLS and can be explained by the Realtor when someone calls about the home.

If you feel that your listing is incorrect, talk with your Realtor to see if any "notes" or comments can be placed on the MLS listing that can explain differences between square footage, age or lot size. To make a change like this permanent, however, it will require changes to the government's database,and that is a procedure best explored with your local building or assessor's office. Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 10, 2014
Meredith C Kurz LSA CBR EPRO answered:
There was a house in our area - great location - a classic colonial - several acres of preservation land backing up onto the back yard - but right near the power lines. It took well over a year to sell - and ended up being sold vacant - and at a severe discount price.

Here's a quote from an article about this:

"You may not care about the resale value of your home because you plan to live there forever, but be aware of the potential financial risk you are taking. If you ever find yourself in a position where you have to sell your home quickly, it may be harder to sell if it's located next to high-voltage power lines, which means you will probably have to price it low and possibly take a loss on the sale.

If possible, you should avoid putting yourself in that position. But if the only home you can afford is located next to power lines, and it meets all of your other home buying criteria, go ahead and buy it with the knowledge that you will also have to make it affordable when you sell it."

There's not proof about any danger of being in proximity of power lines - but there is a PERCEIVED health hazard that's enough to greatly reduce the value of the property and the length of time on market.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 23, 2009
Meredith C Kurz LSA CBR EPRO answered:
Are you purchasing in Port St. Lucie Florida (this is the location noted next to your name) or on Long Island - which country, etc.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Oct 18, 2009
CCC answered:
If you see issues here, talk to your Realtor and request an extension on Contingency. Write a Real and credible explanation. Also, go to yellow pages, internet search or even your Realtor for inspectior referelas. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon May 18, 2009
Carol Bromm answered:
It is extremely rare.

It is not uncommon with new construction. The builder will sometimes pay the closing costs. There might be an occassion with a co-op unit to keep the price of the unit up for approval by the co-op board.

What is common is a "sellers concession". If a home is selling for $300K and the buyer needs $20K for closing costs, The seller will write up the contract for $320K with $20K to be returned to the buyer at the closing table for their closing costs. Then the adjustments are made by the attorneys to cover the higher transfer tax that the seller would have paid on the $320K price instead of the $300K price.

It usually makes more sense for the homeowner to sell at the lower price point, than a higher one with a credit.

Carol Bromm, SRES, CBR
Associate Broker
Prudential Douglas Elliman, Babylon
631 422-8269
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 13, 2008
Phil Svendsen answered:
I assume you now know all about the 'external' square footage and that your son is now in the contract phase and you want to find out as much as you can to further analyze the situation. As far as 'internal' room by room square foot measurements are concerned I see no other alternatiive than to ask the seller permission if you can revisit the premises. Before you do anything however I strongly suggest you get legal advice. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 9, 2008
Cameron Piper answered:

If you have any influence to stop such an arrangement I would strongly encourage you to. It would be much better for one to buy the house and the other to rent from his brother. If you buy a house with someone, you are married to that person come rain or shine until the house sells. If one wants to buy the other out they would need to come up with the cash to pay for their half. They will still be on the mortgage together however. What if one of them meets someone and wants to get married? What if one gets a jpb transfer? What if they have a fight and can't stand to live with one another? Real estate isn't liquid enough to just up and decide to sell.

Here is a thread of why the situation they are proposing is a bad idea.

Cameron Piper
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 2, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
That's something you will find out by experience. Folks have been told for years that having a bankruptcy would not hurt them and then found out it was on their history for seven years or more (depending upon the type) and it did hurt them.

I cannot believe it will be good, but it is sometimes necessary.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice