Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

11553 : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 10
Tue Mar 25, 2014
Carla La Chapelle answered:
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Feb 3, 2014
Anna M Brocco answered:
Best should be defined and based on your wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.; therefore visit areas of interest more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals, etc. When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 29, 2010
Phil Rotondo answered:
Good Morning Rose142
Title insurance is absolutely required for your protection. This protects you against any past liens, taxes, or amounts due on the property prior to your closing.
You should also order a structure inspection of the property followed by a survey of the property. Going forward you will of course need homeowner's insurance.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 23, 2016
Joseph Finnerty answered:
The "As Is" typically means if you go forward with the purchase the bank will not fix or repair any problems with the property.

In other words, if you put a property inspection in the agreement of sale as a contingency (something you should definitely do), no matter what problems are found wth the property the bank is stating they will not do anything about it. It is being sold "As Is". Your option, since you did a contingency, would be to walk away from the property or accept it "As Is".

Having said that, I have seen some cases in which the bank will do a repair since it may affect the buyer's ability to get a mortgage.

When you buy a property, you purchase title insurance. Title Insurance guarantees you receive the property free and clean of any liens or encumberances. Back taxes fall into this category. The bank must pay these or make it part of the negotiations (that you will pay them) when you do the agreement of sale.


Joe Finnerty
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc
Lehigh Valley Office, PA
... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 25, 2010
Jeanne Feenick answered:
If you find a house the fits your needs and you are a desirable tenant (good credit, references etc) and are not squabbling about monthly rent, you may be able to negotatiate to have the landlord pay the commission even if the listing states otherwise. Landlords often will start by pushing the commission to the tenant side, and then move to split or pick it up if necessary to move the inventory. A local agent can help from here.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 10, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
Very rare to find rent to own homes in the area; most owners just want to sell and move on. For by owner sellers, check local print media, any for sale by owner web site such as,, etc., also check out for listed properties. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 1, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
Any agent can help you with information, showings, etc.--If you are looking at a RealtyTrac listing--keep in mind that RealtyTrac's information is not always accurate and oftentimes misleading--you could be looking at a lis pendens property--notice of default--some of those properties may not be for sale yet, and some may never be, if the default is satisfied by the owner. If you are interested in foreclosures, work with an agent--he/she will have access to reliable information--also don't overlook traditional sales as some may turn out to be a much better bargain than some of the foreclosure properties. ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 29, 2008
Ralph Windschuh answered:
Marie, I have never seen a bank send a letter to the buyer about an offer getting rejected. If I can assist you further or answer any of your other questions, please contact me.

Ralph Windschuh
Century 21 Princeton Properties
Certified Buyer Representative
Associate Broker
Senior Real Estate Specialist
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Dec 29, 2008
Scott Godzyk answered:
You cant sign 2 buyer broker agreements fo rthe same area or risk having to pay more than 1 person when you do buy. if you feel it is time to switch, ask to be released from your buyer broker agreement and interview new agents. if you have reservation about starting over, perhaps talk to your current agent and let them know your feelings and what can be done to correct them. good luck with your search ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 29, 2008
Francesca Patrizio answered:
In Monmouth County our tax record system also include all legal documents relating to a property and that is where I find out this info. This might also apply to NY's online tax records. You may have to do some fishing around the site to find it. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice