My thoughts are as follows:
1) Try calling the broker at the office she works for.
2) Go to NYC.gov and see if the agent is actually licensed by the department of state.
3) Did the agent actually show you the interior of the property? If not I am worried that this may be a scam.
4) Check property records on www.nyc.gov (go to ACRIS) and see who the owner of the property is.
5) Contact the owner via phone, letter or simply ringing their door bell and explain to them what has happened, see what they say.
Usually an agent will not give out the owners phone number just as they would not give the owner your phone number until the deal was 100% consummated. You can try to have another agent help you, just make sure you tell them the whole story. If you want call me and I will see what I can do.
Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783