Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 10065 : Real Estate Advice

  • All10
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 1,351
Thu Jun 27, 2013
Christopher Pagli answered:
In NY its's anybody's house until contracts are fully executed between buyer and seller. The only other way to protect yourself is to have a sales binder in place which actually acts as a contract when an offer is accepted. Not many people use these in NY.

... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Have you or has your agent asked the seller if a downpayment of less than 10% would be acceptable at contract signing....
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Nirmala Caraballo answered:
Hi Luz,

The first step you need to take is to meet with a mortgage professional and get prequalified. The loan officer, will need you last two pay stubs, last two years tax returns and two prior months of bank statements. They will then give you a preapproval letter that informs you of how much real estate you can afford to purchase. You can then meet with a local realtor and they can provide you with a list of properties that meets your criteria. You do not pay a fee to have a buyers agent represent you in your transaction unless otherwise agreed to.

If I can be of further assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact me.

Good luck.

Nirmala Caraballo
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Cruse Realty
Tel.: 646-479-7873
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Gail Gladstone answered:
Hong Yao,

This probably depends a lot on the area. If you are dealing with NYC, don't hold your breath.

Actually, you might call the title company that closed you and nudge them a bit; they are probably in the best position for good information and expectations. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 26, 2013
Nick Rafello, V.P. answered:
Pre-forclosure is more than likely going to stay with you for 10 years. If you're credit is run, it'll show that you didn't pay your mortgage. This will be a red flag. But keep in mind, if you are caught up and pay everything you owe (i.e. credit cards, mortgage, taxes, etc) for the next 2 years you're credit score will be in good standing and it more than likely will not be an issue. I know this as a family member of mine with through the exact same thing. After two years of struggling to get everything back, they were able to get a car and begin again on a good path.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 20, 2013
Maura Jarach answered:
Hi Dirk,

Most likely bet is a condo for immediate ownership and ability to rent out without living in the unit first. However, there are also a handful of midtown , tudor city and kips bay coops which allow investors only which fetch excellent rent.

Is there a particular area of the city which interests you & is this a cash purchase/ 1031 exchange?

LMK how I can help further !

Executive Director of Townhouses
M: 646-418-4150
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Dena Schlutz answered:
Hi Geneviere!
What you need to do is first find a Realtor you trust and then they can match you up with a lender who specializes in the type of loan that best meets your needs. Many lenders claim to be a one stop shop, but in reality, some have better programs for certain buyers and a Realtor has the flexibility and knowledge to refer you to the right specialist. Ask friends and family, read testimonials from previous clients and call references. This is the biggest purchase of your life, you want to do your homework on who you are dealing with!

Then as a team, your lender and Realtor will help you achieve your goals. Call me and I can find a good Realtor you can trust. Even though I live in Colorado, I have an awesome referral network and I will be your advocate to find the right team! Check out my testimonials :)

Dena Schlutz
Owner / Broker
Estate Professionals
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
If you are ready to buy, and need to buy, why not simply work with an agent of your own. For available Queens area properties check
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Krystyna Rachtan answered:
Hello Adina,

The prevalent form of property ownership in Manhattan is an apartment in a cooperative (co-op) corporation, commonly referred to as a co-op. A cooperative (co-op) is a type of corporate ownership of property, in which the stockholders (shareholders) are entitled, by reason of a proprietary lease, to the exclusive use of a certain dwelling unit of space. The value of the unit is based on the number of shares allocated to that space, along with location of the building and services offered. The larger the apartment, the more shares you own. The cooperative corporation is operated by a Board of Directors, elected by the shareholders at their annual meeting. The Board sets monthly maintenance fees, and makes other policy decisions for the property. All prospective purchasers and renters must be approved by the co-op Board of Directors. The co-op Board approval process is often time consuming and rigorous - requiring extensive information regarding finances, employment, and personal background. Many co-op boards limit the amount of the purchase price that can be financed and require higher down payments than are usually required for condominiums. It can be harder to sublet a co-op. Each co-op has its own rules, but many limit or forbid subletting.

Cooperative = the building is owned by a corporation and operated for the benefit of persons living in the building. Shares in the corporation are allocated per apartment and the owners of those shares, called proprietary lessees, may live in the apartment for which shares are allocated.

The next most common form of home ownership in Manhattan is a condominium (condo) unit. A condominium is real property just like a free standing house. It is ownership of an individual property in a multi-unit structure, along with joint ownership of common elements such as hallways, stairs, recreations areas, etc. Condominium owners elect a Board of Managers. The Board of Managers sets the by-laws of the condominium, determines the cost of operation the building and sets the monthly maintenance expense called common charges. Unlike a co-op, a condominium apartment is "real" property. A buyer receives a deed just as though he or she were buying a house. Each individual apartment in a condominium receives its own tax bill. Taxes for condominium units are paid directly to the city and state, twice a year by the individual unit owner.There is still a monthly common charge similar to the maintenance charges in a co-operative. These charges don't include your real estate taxes and are not tax-deductible. They also tend to be lower than in co-ops because there is no underlying mortgage for a condominium building. The straightforward nature of buying a condo coupled with the fact, that in some cases, you can finance up to 90% of the purchase price and sublet them at will, makes condominiums the number one choice for flexibility.

Condominium= units are individually owned; common areas (lobby, elevators, hallways, facilities, etc) are owned jointly with the other condominium unit owners.

Krystyna Rachtan, CNE
Licensed Real Estate Broker
(212) 991-8072
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Stan Pau answered:
The "4" comes from the number of rooms in the apartment, specifically the bedroom, living room, kitchen, and dining area/small bedroom/office. The term is usually used in the New York City rental market. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Pat & Steve Pribisko answered:
You need to contact your local courthouse (municipal) for forms.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Shanna Rogers answered:
Hi beartaylor131,

If you're trying to post a For Sale By Owner, you can't. Trulia only posts properties listed for sale with a Realtor. So, if you are a seller and want your property on here, you will need to contact a Realtor and ask them to do it for you.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Javier Meneses answered:
I'm in the mortgage business and never heard of this program. Where did you get this from?

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS #23130
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
(516) 606-9648
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Ross Ellis answered:
Dear NYC Browser,

There is no clear cut answer.

Currently there is so little inventory on the market that it may take you a little longer to find the home you love.

Once you have found the home you love and you have obtained financing and you get all the necessary information to your broker for the board package in a timely manner (you shoud definitely use an experienced buyer's broker), the contract is fully executed by both parties in a timely manner,
and there are no glitches ... generally you can close on an apartment within two months of signing your contract and being approved by the board.

That said, not every deal is the same. Some deals can take longer. Cash deals move faster.

I hope that helps. If I can be of any assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ross Ellis
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Member of Real Estate Board of New York
212.317.7828 direct
770 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor New York, NY 10065
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Have you considered consulting with an attorney...
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu May 2, 2013
raffaele saccente answered:
Its a great building and location, the average price per foot is @885.00. There only a 3 br available in the building. call me if you have question about purchasing it, 917-623-8570


... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
Sun Jul 21, 2013
John Jourden answered:
Hello Shaquanna

Would love to help. Am a 13-year Marine Corps Veteran myself and can certainly assist. Feel free to review my profiles and what a few of my clients have said about my service:

Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss how I may help.

Looking forward to speaking with you soon.

John Jourden
The Spire Group
Licensed RE Salesperson
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 17, 2014
liutg kuitgo;ut answered:
Where in the us are you looking?
Please contact me through email
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
John Peitler answered:
Please call me. My name is John and I can be reached at 212-714-1027. Thank you and good luck.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice