Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

General Area in 10007 : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 155
Tue Dec 1, 2009
Nick Rafello answered:
Donate a portion of your commissions as we do. We call it CORCORAN CARES.

Nick Rafello, V.P.
The Corcoran Group
636 Sixth Avenue at 19th Street
New York, NY 10011
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 28, 2009
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
Hi Vpad........Yes............ to be licensed in NJ you would need to take the required 75 hr course, and pass the state test.
There is no reciprocity between NY & NJ. In fact, I don't think NJ has reciprocity with any state! Alas!

In the meantime......if you have any clients who want to move here....I'd be happy for the referral!
I work in one of the NYC commuter areas, 17 miles from Manhattan.
Good luck!
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Jenet Levy answered:
I am sorry but you won't find the answer to your question here. There are very strict laws about real estate agents answering such questions. I suggest you look at a map of Brooklyn, then Google the different neighborhoods and learn about the demographics that way. Then when you have zeroed in on some neighborhoods that interest you, you can tell a real estate agent where you would like to look.

Jenet Levy
212 381-4268
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 12, 2009
Rogov Team answered:
Hello Gricko,

The answer to your question depends upon the type of home you are looking to rent. The amount of bedrooms, bathrooms, age, condition, and other features greatly impact the rental amounts. Providing criteria such as number of bedrooms, bathrooms, preferred age, style and so on would allow us to provide you with a better answer.

Send us an email with your preferences and we will let you know what the rentals are.


Artyom and Natasha
Rogov Team
Remax Central
Artyom- (908) 216-5066
Natasha- (908) 839-5995
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jul 18, 2009
Fred Griffin answered:
In commercial real estate, that is known as "the Chinese Wall".

In residential, it is highly discouraged, but some States permit it, and some Brokerages will practice it,
if they have your written permission.

Read the Fine Print in your Listing Contract Agreement.

Call the Broker of the Agency to discuss your concerns.

Best wishes,
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 31, 2012
Nunzio Zappola answered:
The best burrough is the Hamptons from here you can use the Jitney to commute to the city and enjoy all the natural wonders the Island has to offer along with the city people and atmosphere.
Your family will love it and you will be suprised as well I would love to assist you in finding the perfect location since their are many to chose from call me and we can discuss your needs so I can match them to a premier home in a great location !! (516) 383 - 0700
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 21, 2015
Chris Mabry SRS,e-PRO answered:
This sounds like more tha just an ethics violation to me. Your broker was basically putting your home "on sale." Considering they are not a Realtor, the broker is held to a much lower standard than one who is a member to the National Association Of Realtors. But there are still rules. Any price reductions should be approved by you. Since this person is the broker, it's unlikely that you will be able to go over their head within the company. I would say the next step should be to discuss your concerns with the broker and ask for an explanation. If you are not satisfied with their response, then file a complaint with the NY Department of Real Estate. They probably have a website thay you can Google. Maybe you should consider looking for a Realtor to sell your apartment if you don't like the broker's explanation. ... more
0 votes 20 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 6, 2009
I am not a retired person, however one of the issues that I would like to point out to retired persons is that if you are over 62, you should explore the option of a reverse mortgage if you are having difficulty paying your bills. If you have enough equity in the property, you may be able to pay off your existing liens. One of the beautiful things about a reverse mortgage is that you do not have to make a payment. You are still responsible for paying your property taxes and your homeowner's insurance, however any principal and/or interest paid on a mortgage loan or line of credit would not have to be paid monthly. In addition, there is a form of mortgage insurance built in to the program so that if the value of your home is less than is owed on your reverse mortgage at the time of sale no one would have to come up with any money out of pocket to pay back the reverse mortgage. These products are backed by either FHA through their HECM product, or Fannie Mae in the Home Keeper. They all require the homeowner to obtain a mortgage counseling certificate before applying for the loan, which supports the fact that the person fully understands what the terms and purpose of the loan are.
Robin Silverberg
Senior Loan Officer
Preferred Empire Mortgage
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 16, 2009
Dana Schuster answered:
you will be able to get the most accurate answer from someone in your own area who is familiar with local landlord/tenant laws,but my assumption would be that without a lease(a legal binding document) you don't have a leg to stand on. In my area,without a lease,you would be considered a month to month tenant & could be asked to leave at any time. unfortunately,verbal agreements have no standing. if it's not in writing it's not an agreement. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 1, 2009
Richard Daub answered:
There aren't any sandy beaches in Manhattan, but if you go out to Brooklyn or Queens you will find plenty. Manhattan has lots of great parks and piers though, and the terrain is surprisingly hilly in some places. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Weichert Realtors Mazzeo Agency answered:
It's possible that the 1 year rule is in your condo by-laws. That's where you can find your condo's sublet policy. If your neighbors are subletting month to month the management company might just not be aware of it. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 11, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:

Contact the hme owners association president or one of the current board members. I'm sure they will be able to assist you with what you need.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 8, 2012
Carmen Di Biase answered:
Contact a real estate attorney as soon as possible. Have all of your documentation regarding the renovations and approvals ready for review.

Good luck.
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 24, 2008
Tammy Benkwitt answered:
Agents are prohibited by law to discuss commissions with each other or to comment about an "average" commission. There is no average or going rate when it comes to commission. Commissions are always negotiable.

Each company offers it's own level of services and qualifications . Interview some firms and find out what you will get for your money.

I think you were stating that the property is worth approximately $20 million. How do you know? In any case, that type of investment certainly demands care and due diligence, It is worth your time to investigate a couple of companies and ask many questions.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Tracy Maurer answered:
Check your old lease. It should state what will happen at the end of the lease, but in the vast majority of cases it just goes to a month to month lease unless a new one is signed. If your lease is up, and is month to month then you should be okay to just give 30 days written notice, unless otherwise stated in your lease. Hope this helps! Tracy Maurer/Broker/Realtor Intracoastal Realty, Inc. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 10, 2008
Paul Macapagal answered:
Hey Rubin,

If my memory serves me correctly....

A broker is due a comission when the buyer or renter is ready, willing and able.... and there is a meeting of the minds. If all are satisfied then yes a comission is due. If they are not ... then the answer is no. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 8, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
contact me offline at and I will set you up with a free account on Listing Book which will show everything available on the Multiple Listing Service and you can automate it to notify you when something is available. It will also allow you to control and change your criteria from moment to moment. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
Generally, the landlord pays commissions. If you have tenant representation, you would be expected to pay the commission which is different with each broker and each brokerage company and is sometimes negotiable.

Timeline depends upon negotiations and lease preparations and the availability fo the space.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 15, 2008
Jeff and Ginny Mitchell answered:
There are some very good reasons for choosing a large nationally recognized real estate company with an outstanding reputation in your area. One of the advantages is the practical orientation and ongoing education available with the larger brokerages.

There are also good designation courses to take that will enhance your expertise and stature in the industry, such as an ABR, GRI and later a CRS. You can find information about all of these online, or you can contact me for more information. Good luck.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 17, 2008
Richard Daub answered:
There are lots of apartments for rent on the Upper West Side. Give me a call at 917-657-6532 or email me at
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search Advice