Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Crime & Safety in 10003 : Real Estate Advice

  • All46
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying18
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 22
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 3, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
The local police department can accurately answer your question, therefore consider a call/visit.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
Now there's a good way to eliminate some Realtors from your list;
Don't you know Realtors spend a lot of time hanging around Bars.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 14, 2012
James Furlong answered:
It is your choice as the parent. It would depend on the age, I guess. I just have a concern with all the stories we hear about, even with older children. I know it probably seems like a convenient solution but I think all other options should be considered first - are there after school options at their school, at a local Boys & Girls Club, at your Church or YMCA. Check with local social services. Be careful. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 11, 2012
Alison Hillman answered:
Oh fun! Who are you seeing perform?

I would recommend checking out Trulia's crime maps and of course walk in groups if possible.

Enjoy and be safe!
Ali, Community Manager
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 1, 2012
Nick Rafello, V.P. answered:
Hi Kim,

Unfortunately, no matter if you're Male or Female, a licensed real estate agents across the 50 states are not allowed to talk about safefty. Per Fair Housing Laws we cannot. The best advice is, you must walk to the building and the surrounding area. If you like it, you can give an agent a call.

Good Luck,

Nick Rafello
Senior Vice President
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 11, 2012
Anna M Brocco answered:
For any crime/safety concerns you may have, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand...
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 11, 2011
Jenet Levy answered:
I am a lifelong NYC resident, and we are talking 5 decades here. NYC has never been safer. If have seen neighborhoods only come up, not deteriorate, in the last 10-15 years. I don�39;t know what neighborhoods you are referring to, but you can check crime stats with local precincts. There are many great neighborhoods for your daughter and her roommate to explore, enjoy, and live safely and happily in. Other boroughs are options, but you have longer commutes, and random acts can happen anywhere - in any neighborhood, any borough, in any city or state. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 21, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
If you already live in the building, ask a neighbor(s) or contact management.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon May 17, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
There are many support groups out there comprised of people with similar situations on hand that will offer better advice/support than any of us ever could in a real estate forum format--and one can begin by checking for programs at local houses of worship, local hospitals, etc. If threats are made that endager your sibling's life or any physical abuse is taking place, the local police should be called in, and the one(s) causing the harm should be arrested. ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 12, 2010
Jolie Muss answered:
Agents and brokers are not allowed to discuss these matters. You can contact the local police department about your safety questions, It's the 20th precinct located at 120 W 82nd St and online here: or by phone: 212 580-6411
There are also online community informational resources that you may be able to find by searching online.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 1, 2012
Jenet Levy answered:
Valid question. The best answer I can give you, and the legal one I am obliged to give you, is check with the local precinct on crime statistics. They have that information. See how it compares to other neighborhoods you may be considering.

Hope that helps.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, c
212 381-4268
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 21, 2009
Pascual Paul Tarrats answered:
Maybe you have not taken the proper steps to document your abuse. Otherwise it might just sound like you are trying to change for personel reasons. People become agreeable if you have a paper trail. ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 23, 2009
Patrick Thies answered:
Check with the local police department for that.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 29, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:

The best resource for this information is the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the mose accurate and up to date information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

Good luck
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 23, 2009
Deborah Stassi answered:
Your best resource to obtain the information, would be to contact the local police department. Also, the internet also has sites that report crime statistics for cities throughout the United States so that you can do your research and make a determination.
Good luck in your condo search.
Deborah Stassi
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Alen Moshkovich answered:
Hi John,

The best way to answer that question is for you to go to an NYPD website and find out crime stats for that area, it will give you a good idea to how a specific area is.

We are brokers can't answer these type of questions or anything about schools in a specific neighborhood.

Crime stats is your way to go.

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 14, 2015
Gail Gladstone answered:
The value of other units are affected by sold prices.

Regarding the actions of your former her/his manager. If no satisfaction, call the local Board and see how to file a complaint. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 20, 2008
Aileen-Manhattan-NYC answered:

Your question is placed under the crime and safety subcatagory. If crime statistics are what you're seeking, you can can contact the NYPD directly. Every precinct has a community liason and their own crime statistics.

New York City is a wonderful place to live. Whether you live in Topeka, Kansas or the UES, it's a good idea to exercise common sense and get involved in your community.

You're within walking distance to Carl Shurtz Park, the Museum Mile, Gracie Mansion, and Central Park. It's not the trendiest neighborhood, but many persons continue to choose to live in the Upper East Side.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 23, 2007
Aileen-Manhattan-NYC answered:
Hi Prudi,

I believe E. 118th may be in the 25th Precinct. I've attached the NYPD web site below. Feel free to contact the NYPD directly to confirm.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any additional questions. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice