Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

08833 : Real Estate Advice

  • All5
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 8
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Andrew Tisellano answered:
Seller just has to disclose what he has done to the house
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 18, 2010
Eugenia (Jean) Bonilla,ABR,SRES,ASP answered:
Your commute would be about 1 - 1 1/2 hours depending on traffic, the further up you get on the NJ Turnpike the more congestion you get. Currently the Turnpike is doing road construction which makes it a little more challanging. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jan 4, 2008
Marc Paolella answered:
Hi Wayne,

The reality is you're pretty much out of luck. I'd run, not walk, away from this house and this seller and chalk up the $1,500 to eduactional expense. You already know he's lied and none of your professionals have given you much of a green light. Whatever you know about with this house and owner, there are probably 50 other things you don't know and won't know about until after you close and then you're stuck with it. Realistically, you can forget about getting your expenses back, it's not going to happen and it's not worth trying to sue over.

I'd just move on. There are so many houses on the market without these problems. Why sign on for sure trouble?

... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 17, 2010
Deborah Madey answered:
Have you scanned for any other USTs? Any time I represent a seller of a property that has had structures (past or present) for a number of years, I explain to them that most buyers are going to scan the entire property for any type of UST. Any time I represent a buyer, I strongly advise that they do a scan.

How do you know there is a propane tank? Because it was disclsoed, or because you found it in a scan? Are you under contract?

The State of NJ provides grant monies for the removal of oil tanks. I don't believe it applies to propane, but you could check.

More buyers than not will probably want the propane tank removed. You might also consider that since you will someday have to deal with this as a seller.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 14, 2010
Justin Kiliszek answered:
Check out this website.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri May 2, 2014
Emmanuel Scanlan answered:
Hello Wayne,

According to the Tewksbury TWP WEB site FAQ (see reference below) all plumbing and all electrical work requires a permit. I would expect (in my opinion) they are referring to all significant work and not necessarily minor repairs. I would speak to Tewksbury TWP code officials for the exact definition of the scope of work that requires a permit.

If the electrical and plumbing required more than just normal repairs, i.e. replacement of portions of these systems, I would certainly look at having the work inspected by a professional, licensed and competent plumber and an electrician. If these items were required to be permitted and were not you might always encounter a potential for not obtaining a certificate of occupancy or potentially issues obtaining insurance for the property. To use an old phrase "When in doubt, check it out!".

Good luck on your project!

Emmanuel Scanlan
License# 7593

"Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!"

What requires a permit?

Permits are required for the following work:
Any type of new building (homes, sheds, barns),additions, add a level, dormers, swimming pools (above and below ground), sheds greater than 100 square feet (all sheds need zoning approval), finished basements, fireplaces and wood stoves, pole barns and run-in sheds, hot water heaters, boilers, furnaces (new and replacements), new air conditioning, gas piping (to grills, gas logs and gas appliances), sewer and water connections, radon mitigation, oil and gas tank removals, fire and burglar alarm systems, all plumbing work, all electrical work, siding, roofing, windows (new and replacement), oil and propane tanks (new and replacement).
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Ian A. Wolf answered:
You want to contact the building department in Lebanon. They will have records of any permits pulled and/or closed or open permits. They will also let you know what work has to be permitted and what work does not. You are correct though in your assumption that typically, plumbing and electric work if it isn't minor requires permits, licensed professionals, and inspection from the building department. It is a good practice to make sure this in order before purchasing.

Most real estate contracts do have a clause that indicates that any work done on the property was done with proper permits pulled, etc.

The below website for Lebanon should help too.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 26, 2014
Marc Paolella answered:
Hi Wayne,

Congratulations on making yur first offer. I'm sure the adrenaline is flowing. Typical fees are $700-$1200, with $900 being quite typical, providing there aren't a lot of complications.

Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly!
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Search Advice