Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Financing in 02184 : Real Estate Advice

  • All15
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 5
Mon Mar 12, 2012
Richard Shapiro answered:
Thu May 30, 2013
Tony Maziarz answered:
I don't know the answer but I know you can buy anything within your means as a Vet. Have you consulted with a VA loan officer or applied to a bank , they should give you the spill.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 6, 2010
Doc & Ellen Stephens answered:
Hi, Danny,

You can find some useful calculators here:

All of the online calculators are just generic. the best way to get the best rate is to find a great loan officer and ask your questions. The problem with online lending is that they often change the terms right before closing, if they even show up at all. Imagine that you are ready to close on your dream house and your e-lender sends you a little note that says, "We were unable to get you that low rate, but we can get you this rate..." Now, you are committed to buy the house, and they figure that you'll go ahead and swallow the bitter pill.

Real Estate is still a personal business. All the fancy web sites in the world can't substitute for a great Buyer's Agent and a strong Local Lender. You need someone who is accountable to you for getting you the best possible result, and available to you to discuss the process. We just don't see that happening with the online bait and switch crowd.

... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 9, 2009
Don Tepper answered:
The condo association should be able to provide you a history of all past special assessments.

It should also be able to provide you a list of any upcoming (but not yet collected) special assessments.

Even if your question is about upcoming possible special assessments, take a look at the items mentioned above. You may see a pattern. For example, some condo associations tend to keep their fees low by loading long-term maintenance into special assessments. For instance, roof repair is something that ought to be budgeted for, and generally included in the regular condo fees. But some associations handle roof repairs on an ad hoc basis, assessing and collecting on an as needed basis. So, if you see periodic special assessments for roof repairs, you might reasonably assume that they'll do it again.

Another tip: Talk to current owners there. Ask what their experience has been. Sure, they'll tell you about past special assessments. But they'll probably also know about possible upcoming ones, or major issues or needs that would require a special assessment once addressed. I lived in a condo once with an underground parking garage with a leaky roof. We knew for a few years that it'd take a special assessment to raise the money to fix it. So even though nothing had been voted on yet, if you'd asked me (or the other residents), we could have told you about it.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 21, 2008
Debt Free Dave answered:
You will need a lease to show you mother occupying your current home. A heloc is an acceptable down payment source. It will be counted in your debt to income ratio however. I would get prequalified before you make your next move. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice