Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 01850 : Real Estate Advice

  • All11
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying7
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 28
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Kristen Blanchet Keegan answered:
It just went under agreement on April 11th. If you need help finding a property in the area please let me know and I would be glad to help!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Oct 29, 2013
Tim Moore answered:
Welcome to home ownership. You do the same thing you will do a year or two years down the road - You Fix It. A home inspector can not find everything and can't find problems that might not have been there when they inspected. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 28, 2013
Monica Mbabali asked:
Tue Jan 29, 2013
Wen Farina answered:
What is your ultimate goal in investing?
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat May 4, 2013
Justin Melo answered:
I am a local agent and have a property in mind for you, it is a multi family home. Call me or email me and I can go into further detail on the property.

Justin Melo
Bettencourt Real Estate
Lowell, Ma 01852
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 24, 2012
Kalyn Ringwold answered:
I can't see someone maintaining the price if the appraisal came in under the list price. Unless there was something extremely unique about that property and it was a seller's market, chances are they will have to come down on the price or risk not having that property sold for a very long time. Plus with it being an investor they care more about moving the property asap. In the end it would cost them more to wait on 1000 than to lower it.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 29, 2015
Greer Swiston answered:
Depends on your town ... but usually you can find an on-line field card from your city assessor's office. It will be pretty much just the envelope of your house ... not your interior layout.

If you need more help, please don't hesitate to contact me directly
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 3, 2012
Michelle Rivera answered:
Hi Amy,

Yes you can apply for an FHA Loan - you will need to apply and qualify for a 203k Rehab Loan. That is also an FHA product whicht will allow you to complete the rehab or fixing up that the home you select requires. As for the down payment assistance program throught the City of Lowell, they will just require all the documentation and contracts that prove you are applying for that type of loan. That will allow you to accomplish that goal of buying a fixer upper and use the down payment assistance.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss the matter further, where I have the experience and contacts you need to obtain both the 203k Rehab Loan and the down payment assistance program.


Michelle Rivera
RE/MAX Prestige
Call/Text: 978.551.3212
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Sep 2, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
Hi Sara,

What is your question about that home? Can I help you with something in particular?

Ali, Community Manager
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 24, 2012
Chris Doherty answered:
The Cotton Lofts are located on Jackson Street in Lowell and is part of the Jam district, a designated area for redevelopment that is an ongoing project. Over the past few years there have significant mill conversions in the area, particularly on Jackson Street, which are truly stunning. You should check out the Jam plan on the City of Lowell website to learn more about the exciting project. The prices reflect that the area is in process of redevelopment. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 11, 2012
Chris Tryon answered:

MLS is showing 3 available . What specific's are you looking for in a home?
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu May 17, 2012
Short Sale Mitigation, LLC answered:
A seller and a buyer can back out of anything at any time. The question would be what are the legal ramifications if you do?
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 16, 2012
Joshua Gillis answered:

Yes woodland park does allow pets and as far as being able to finish the basement. Usually you own from the studs in so I would say yes to the second question as long as no part of the structure or load bearing wall is being altered or compromised. The City of Lowell may take issue with this depending on why you are finishing the downstairs if and when you go to pull permits. In some cases bedrooms are against code and depending on egress issues you could be limited as to what you can do to a basement. I would advise you call the City of Lowell building department for this answer. If you are inquiring about 92 Swan Street # 207 MLS # 71243689 offered for $135.00 it has an accepted offer. It looks like it was first accepted January 26th 2012 the condo expired then it reactivated and then as of Feb 12th, it had an accepted offer again with no back on market or (BOM) so it looks like it had an accepted offer since January of this year. It is a Short Sale and depending on the lender it could be as little as 45 days to get a response up to and beyond 6 months if it is not an approved short sale. Again it depends on the Lender, deal being offered, the status of the home, the experience of the Realtor and or Attorney representing the seller. The seller also has to be organized and send in necessary docs in a timely manner. Lastly no short sale is a guarantee even when they agree to a price. Beyond this the sellers disclosure shows that the basement has had "seepage" in the past four years, so this could also be a concern when finishing a basement. Another issue that could arise is that you mentioned a bathroom. Depending on the height of the sewer line going to the street, you may need a sewer pump which is an added cost. Hopefully this was informative. If you should have any other questions feel free to contact me.


Joshua Gillis
(978) 771-4194
A Team of ERA Key
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 30, 2013
Jeff McDonald answered:
You should be able to get your earnest money deposit back if you have not removed your inspection contingency. You can ask for a $2000 price reduction or a repair credit, but they can always say no...

Just because they dropped the price does not mean they have to accept the lower price - they could just be trying to get more offers and start a bidding war to drive up the price! Also, you don't state if this is a standard sale, short sale or REO - what they are doing with the listing price would mean something different in each case.

I'm a little confused though - your buyer's agent asked you to terminate the contract? Or is this a dual agent who also represents the seller? Keep in mind it costs you nothing to have a buyer's agent working for you... Your agent could have brought up the price reduction and the unchanged listing status for you with the listing agent when it happened and negotiated for you!
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 24, 2012
Andre LaFond answered:
Hi, my name is Andre LaFond and I am a local Realtor with Dick Lepine Real Estate Inc. If you are looking at 240 Jackson St condos in downtown Lowell then the fees are $241 monthly. If you have any other questions or if you would like to work with a Realtor on your purchase, feel free to contact me at any time. I am also text and email friendly.

Andre LaFond
978-349-1113 (mobile)
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 4, 2010
George Lewman answered:
Cath, Check with a mortgage broker / banker in MA for programs that will help you. I don't know what you mean with a pretty low score. Typically, FHA will loan in the 580-620 range, VA (if you are a veteran), allows a pretty high debt to income ratio (DTI). Many cities, counties and states have down payment assistance programs.

HUD has a teacher next door program where they allow certain of their repossessed homes to be sold to qualified teachers for as little as $100/down. Contact a Realtor who works with HUD Homes in your area to find out what HUD homes match this criteria. You can check out the HUD homes Tab on my website for the homes in the six state region out west. If you want, I can help you find the link to the MA area HUD contractor. I can also find a Realtor in Lowell if you need that assistance.

Good Luck,

... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 13, 2016
Deb Nicholls answered:
In Massachusetts the inspection contingency is to ensure that there are no hidden defects in the property you have agreed to buy, and to allow you to back out of the deal if any are found. You can always try to re-negotiate (your agent would do this if you are using a buyer agent) but the seller is not obligated to fix anything. If you decide not to go forward with the deal, then the sellers can move on to the next buyer.

... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 6, 2011
Kristen Blanchet Keegan answered:
Hi Ted,

I can definitely help! I do a lot with REO's and short sales in the area and know Lowell very well. If you would like to send me your email address I can start sending you potential properties. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 6, 2009
Massachusetts Real Estate answered:
I would highly recommend Attorney Frank DiMaria. He will review your P&S for free if you request him as closing attorney also. He is a fantastic lawyer, attentive, responsive and a great guy on top of it. Check him out at Tell him Jake at sent you! ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Ken Lambert answered:
Hi Nina- Good point and thought. I would recommend you call Suzeanne Smith- 781-775-6327. If you use her services for the closing and the needed title insurance policy, I believe she would be happy to help you review the P&S and all that from your end to make sure everything is done correctly and in your interest- at no additional fees.

Other than that, a typical flat rate to have an attorney review and alter a P&S is between $400- $500 normally. I would just work with a RE attorney that will also do the closing and title though- it saves you money and makes sense.
If I can be of any other help, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken L
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice