Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 01701 : Real Estate Advice

  • All20
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying10
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 17
Thu Jan 31, 2013
James Ward answered:
There are homes being built now. I am sure with the improvement in the market and consumer confidence rising, as will the Builders' confidence and more construction would be built. Have you consulted a mortgage person to establish what you will need for down payment, closing costs etc? If you have a criteria in mind the search can be consolidated very easily. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 29, 2013
Richard Shapiro answered:
You first need to determine if its needed. The association is covered under a master policy paid through the condo fee. If the master has "walls in" coverage nothing more is needed. If not then you need an HO6 policy for personal property which is similar to renters insurance. 300-500 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 29, 2013
Jay Allen answered:
Thank you for posting your question, Sueandtony. There are many 55+ communities in the MetroWest area...each with a different set of ammenities. I can tell you that most will have a clubhouse for meetings and activities. Snow/refuse removal and road maintenance is commonly included in the monthly fee. Some have swimming pools and tennis courts. Most will be on public sewers...but for the towns who don't have the infrastructure, you might encounter septic systems.

If you'd like to tell me what you're looking for and what towns/area you are considering, I can probably help narrow it down for you. Feel free to contact me through this forum...or you can reach me directly at 508-380-2101 or I work for Coldwell Banker and serve the MetroWest Boston area and beyond.


Jay Allen
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Masha Senderovich answered:
Thu Aug 22, 2013
Christine Moran Realtor & Notary answered:
More than 30 inches difference requires a 36 inch high 'guard'.
Openings in this 'guard' should be small enough to keep a 4" sphere from passing through.

The former US UBC code and present IBC code calls for guard rails to be 42 inches high. This is required for vertical distances from 30 inches to finish grade or higher. I feel a lot better about the 42" number but I still see the 36" / 38"mentioned for railing heights. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 18, 2012
Louis Wolfson answered:
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 9, 2012
Stephen Flaherty answered:
My company is offering 25% buyer rebate program and also a 3% friends and family listing agreement. Please feel free to contact if its something you might be interested in.

Also have a mortg broker that has been in the biz for 20 years that can answer all your financing questions. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 28, 2012
Tim Moore answered:
Offer more money......................
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Gerard Dunn answered:
Eileen -

Generally the best place to check for Lease to own properties is on Craigslist. It is a bit more difficult to wade through listings on line to get this information.

Good Luck!

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Serving Maryland, D.C. and Northern Virginia
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon May 7, 2012
Louis Wolfson answered:
Know the area well. As to safety best bet is to speak with local police stations. They will tell if there is anyting to be concerned about.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 25, 2010
Andrew Adams answered:
If you were happy with the work they did for you...Refer all your friends and family that are looking to buy and or sell real estate. If you were not need just tell them you will no longer be looking and call it a day. ... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 21, 2015
David Valley answered:
All decks greater than 30" above grade are required to have a railing height of 36" minimum.

This code pertains to new construction, but I still recommend the upgrade (when I see low deck railings) simply as a child safety feature. ... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 25, 2010
Tom Lynch answered:
Many of the homes in the hamlet of Hillsdale, New York were recently connected to town sewer... the old septic tanks (if they were concrete) were filled in (I'm not sure if they were filled in with sand or concrete) and left in the ground.

All the best,

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts and New York
Berkshire Property Agents
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 1, 2009
Ed and Margot Brody answered:

We listed and sold a condo in the Wilson Gardens in Framingham in 2006. Since then property values in that complex have depreciated, as have property values in most towns in MA. Our best advice would be to hire a real estate agent to represent you, your Buyer's Agent, to do a careful market analysis of recent sales there.
If you are a first time homebuyer, there is an $8000 tax credit awaiting you if you meet the income and time of purchase requirements. Mortgages are available at historically low rates also.
As for whether it is a "good and safe" area, that is something you must decide for yourself based on your own views. The best way to get a feeling for that is to talk to some of the present residents of the complex and talk to the local police.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jun 2, 2009
Sam Cowles answered:
Yes, on a purchase the loan to value is based on the purchase price not the appraised value. If you decide to refinance after then it could be waived if the loan amount was 80% or less than the appraised value. But on a puchase you will have PMI unless you put 20% down based on the purchase price amount. Sounds like you found a great deal though, good luck! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 10, 2015
Laura Muscente answered:
If I understand your question correctly, your Buyers will be using a VA Loan to purchase. If so, then your offer should be like any other as their buyer agent. It should be subject to a satisfactory home inspection, WDI, Radon etc. If the home is on well and septic, I believe it will have to have satisfactory water and septic eval as well. The Mortgage broker or the gov website can give you more info on required inspections. I will usually offer the price to be paid first, with a note requesting an addition 6% seller's concession once a price has been agreed upon. Otherwise, some sellers and agents get confused on what you are really offering. Of course, it must be subject to a satisfactory appraisal, but this is usually written into the contracts by attys.....good luck! ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 7, 2008
M answered:
Search Advice