Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

01129 : Real Estate Advice

  • All4
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 108
Tue Feb 2, 2010
J.M.Jones - 978-335-9092 - Homes & Rentals answered:
Everyplace has it great and its crap sections.............. we as Realtors cannot tell you one is better place that another. At least not in writing on a major website........................... find a realtor you trust who knows the area well, no just say they do. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Dec 19, 2009
Scott A. Nelson answered:
You'd probably have to consult with a tax professional or your lawyer for a legal opinion of your options with the short sale, closing and tax credit. It's very individual and you have to make sure you satisfy all the conditions exactly.

Check back with us and let us know how things progress,

Happy Holidays
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 5, 2009
Michael Giles answered:
The City assessment has nothing to do with the current market value of the home. How much the bank will lend is established by having a professional appraisal done. If you plan on buying some one out you should either split the cost of having an appraisal done or both have your own appraisal done and go from there. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 17, 2012
Bill Eckler answered:
The location of an oil storage tank for the purpose of home heating would likely be found in onr of three locations:

1. underground on the side of the home nearest the furnace

2. in the cellar

3. above ground, outside generally near the furnace

A heating contractor could likely evaluate this and show you signs of where the storage container was located. Or have someone with a metal detector do a sweep of the area around your home.

It's our experience that the majoriy of oil storage facilities in the northeast are located in the cellar.

Good luck
The Eckler Team
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 4, 2009
Keith Manson- Metro Milwaukee Wisconsin answered:
There are money reasons why people take there homes off the market:

. tired of keeping there home clean for people to come look at it
. tired of people coming at all times to look at home
. tired of having to leave their home when other come to look at it
. finding no interest in their home
. the home is not worth what they thought it was worth
. they are in the process of foreclosure and have given up
. They need a break from the marketing of their home and want to enjoy their home with out the distractions
. the job situation has changed
. the people decided not to trasfer to a new location with their company

I am sure there are lot more reasons, but this will give you an idea.

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certifed Distressed Property Expert
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Sep 1, 2009
The Hagley Group answered:
First of all, get an inspection. That will give you an idea whether there is a current issue.

Further, the friend of a friend with the $30,000 dame could very well be exaggerated. Do your inspections and decide from there. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 5, 2010
Rob Goodwin, Broker/Owner,ABR,CRS,e-PRO,GRI,SRES answered:
Good morning Sasa25:

If it is handled correctly on the offer , it should mean that the buyer will have a repaired or new septic system. Either the repair or replacement is done prior to closing or monies are withheld, typically 1.5 times the highest bid from the proceeds for the work to be done after closing.

The seller is traditionally responsible for the cost, however, the regulation does not specifically address that so it is important to put seller to provide Title V certification in your offer.


... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 4, 2009
Ken Lambert answered:
Hello- Sorry for the problems. Is this your attorney your are talking with, or your mortgage lender's attorney. 2 different things.
Is this your (buyers) RE agent you are dealing with- or the listing agent?
This a bank-owned home or a private sale?
Out of curiousity, what was the deposit amount? I assume in the P&S you state that you have all the typical home inpection contingencies, correct? And you have the mortgage contigency. The attorney is right that they need to return your deposit.
Usually a letter from you, your RE agent, or if needed an attorney would get them to release the deposit. Which should be in an escrow account anyways. It is not in the seller's possession.
If I can help further in any way, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Sep 17, 2009
Paul DeSousa answered:
As for looking for a home in or around Springfield, MA.; There are plenty of qualified realtors in the area. If you can't find one using Trulia, I can probably help you with that. If you are looking for a mortgage, I can definitely help you out. As long as your husband still has his US citizenship.
Contact me for more information.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 9, 2009
William Polack answered:
You do not qualify for the tax credit. Visit for more info. Your parents would qualify if they bought the house as a primary residence and have owned a house in the last 3 years. This is a first time home buyers product, not a first time renting from mom and dad product. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 19, 2009
Scott A. Nelson answered:

Well my advice would be to work with a trusted mortgage professional & real estate professional. Ask friends, family, colleagues for recommendations of professionals they have worked with recently and been happy with. Seek out several to begin the process of researching them, interviewing them and choosing one of each.

You'll need to have an idea of your credit situation and what can be done to improve your rating to make sure you get the most advantageous mortgage plan suited to your needs, with a year to do so you can clear up some issues if any are present. A mortgage professional will work with you to find the best mortgage that will work for your 3,5,10 year plans. You'll want to identify what areas are of interest to you and what your needs and wants are for a property.

Finding the right professionals will be important to making your purchase as stress free as possible. There will be some stress, it's inevitable but the right team of professionals working for you will limit as much as possible for you. Look for good communication skills, level of attentiveness, methods of communication they use and you use. Some buyers want alot of invovement, others less. Ask for their refrences, areas of specialty, experience in the type of property that interests you. Check their refrences, check them with the Better Business Bureau, local chamber of commerce, attorney generals office, office of professional licensure, division of banks, google, yelp etc. When you interview them ask them what other questions they might suggest to ask and how they could aid you in your purchase. Once you've interviewed several you'll be in the best position to make an educated and informed decision and start working with your team of professionals in your purchase. I'd be remiss not to say you should also look into an attorney to further cover your interests, the same process would apply.

Hope that helps & Good Luck
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri May 29, 2009
Tom Winand answered:
Sound fishy was it listed and do you have an agent? If the answer is yes to both get your agent to check with a title company to see if a warranty deed was recorded if not it didn't sell. If you made the mistake of making your offer with the listing agent then call them and ask them the status of the property. They should be able to tell you. The listing agent should be contacted with the question of what the status of the property is. It shouldn't be too hard to find out want the status is. If a property sells it has to be recorded. Get another agent not the listing agent involved is probably your best course of actions.

Now with that said sometimes if there was an IRS tax lien involved they have to wait 120 days from the trustee’s sale if your a trust deed state to record the sale, because the IRS can come in a void it. All this should be easy to find out. Most MLS have requirement to disclose the sale price and date to other agents. If you’re a judicial foreclosure state I have no idea how that changes it.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu May 28, 2009
Cynthia McKenna answered:
Hi Sophie:
The first step is that the home is in preforeclosure. The house may or may not be for sale during this time. If the home can not be sold, or the homeowner wishes to take it to foreclosure, then the home is sold at auction on the steps of the court house. Most times, the bank buys the house back. At that point, an agent is sent to the property in order to determine occupancy. If the property is found to be unoccupied, the home is cleaned and placed on the market.
If the property is occupied, then the eviction process is started. This varies by state law.
Once the property is on the market, the bank is looking for the highest dollar amount that they can get. This is usually determined by an appraisal or a broker price opinion.
There are many factors that determine how much a property is going to sell for. The bank has a certain leeway in the price before it has to go to a supervisor and/or investor for approval.

Good luck in your search!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jun 4, 2009
Dana Schuster answered:
You can submit any offer you like,but need to be aware that lenders usually receive multiple offers on foreclosures & will go with the best & highest.
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 7, 2009
Keisha Mathews answered:
JCRUZ - a tandem room is a room that is deep/or longer in its typical size. For example, a tandem garage is deeper/longer than a normal garage. It fits cars one behind the other. As a result, a tandem garage that appears to be a one car garage from the outside actually fits two cars! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 22, 2009
MaryBeth Mills Muldowney answered:
there are a number of factors which contribute to the cost of a new leaching field. Has there been an issue with contamination, does it need to be removed and replaced, is your old leaching field sitting in the water table, too close to a well? have guidelines changed in your community, are you required to expand it due to the number of bedrooms in your home (Title V requirements in Massachusetts). Start at your local town or city hall, find the list of licensed and insured septic installers for your community and make sure to get three bids on the work to be done, then you will have a clearer idea of the costs associated with this project. I have been associated with systems that were $4000 to replace in entirety and also $40,000 for a new system (total system), every property poses different issues to deal with, no pat answer on this one. Also check with your town for any kind of loan programs to fix existing systems and again check for tax credits which may be available for repair or replacement to your system. Good Luck, Marybeth ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 11, 2011
Home Buyer answered:
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 12, 2009
Michael Prescott answered:
It all depends upon the conditions of the contract you signed. In some cases you may have negotiated this, but since you did not know, chances are you did not. Also, it all depends upon how the buyer came across your property, due to mls or advertising by the real estate company or agent?
Best bet is to take a look over the contract, or have a lawyer take a look at it, or talk to your agent

Good Luck
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Jim Mellen answered:

Without a buyer agency form signed, you are not obligated to stay with them. As a listing agent I've frequently shown people my listings and am more than willing to show other agents clients my listings without any obligation or commitment. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 29, 2008
Dana Schuster answered:
Not unless it needs to be replaced due to a catastrophic occurrence. if you have a home warranty,though you're covered.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6
Search Advice