Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate : Nationwide Real Estate Advice

  • All723K
  • Local Info60K
  • Home Buying264K
  • Home Selling45K
  • Market Conditions26K

Activity 2,120
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Elizabeth Fuller answered:
You will need to contact the city permits and code compliance department. Sometimes exceptions are made, but they may need to be approved by city departments or other compliance enforcement
departments. Good luck! Liz, 612-986-4105
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 20, 2012
Marsha Bowen Washington answered:
You might want to check with the zoning office at your ward to see if you could even convert the single family to a multi-family home. Some areas are zoned for only single family homes in Chicago. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Aug 25, 2013
Sam Shueh answered:
Suggest you contact contractors the questions. Based on what you described you have not even described foundation, structure etc. After you speak to the first contractor you will have more questions than answers. You need to learn about set back distance etc, city planning dept is the first place I start
before you go too far.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Tim Moore answered:
Usually removing a bedroom is not going to get you a gain in the property value. It will, of course, depend on many things but normally it is not something you want to do to increase the value. If you wanted to remove a bedroom to make another bedroom larger, that can often make sense, but to add to a family room does not sound like a great idea. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 10, 2013
Tina Lam answered:
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Tom Rollett answered:
Hi Katherine,

Please contact me and I can recommend some reliable contractors. And generally, the land and construction loan can be wrapped with about 50% down.

Tom Rollett,
408-398-7005 ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Lingtm777 asked:
We are in contract for a house in zip code 11365. Currently a one story ranch, we are expanding to 2 story 1 family home. Anyone has a good architect recommendation? Also, do we need to...
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Suzanne Hamilton answered:
You may start with the village contractor list. Many villages in the south suburbs require contractors to be registered/licensed with the villages and pay fees, etc. Sometimes it is beneficial to deal with someone who knows the village requirements and inspectors and has already met their requirements and fees. This can save money as an outside contractor will pass those fees along to you when they need to register. You can get the list of free from the village hall or sometimes on line on the village website. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Elizabeth Resident asked:
The project is to completely renovate 1 apartment, and partially renovate the 2nd apartment, in a 2 family house in Elizabeth. Thank you!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Oct 25, 2012
Alice Lebkuecher answered:
I would recommend Olson Electric. Not sure if they accept the visa, but I have put a call in to check. Will let you know what I find out.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 9, 2012
Joanne Mcdonnell answered:
Hi Grizzly,
Highly unlikely the city will allow a roof deck. Depending on your ceiling clearance in your attic you may be able to expand, you’ll need to check with the building department. If you can do it fairly reasonably it’s probably worth it from an added value perspective. If you make it into say a master bedroom you need to think about another full bath. Just open finished space won’t add much value. Also remember cooling is very important with third floor space. Definitely talk to the building department before beginning any big plans. Again, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact me. Thanks, Joanne ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 9, 2012
Paul Bombara answered:
Great question! You'd be better off by opening up your kitchen, living room and dining rooms rather than adding another bedroom. The value of your home will increase without a doubt! Trust me, I know from personal experience as well. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 2, 2012
Stelios Stylianou, P.A. answered:
Hello J.Lebreton,

I can assist you in your search for a 203K Contractor.

Please, call me at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,

Stelios Stylianou, Realtor®, CIPS
561.542.4131 (Buy,Sell Rent, Invest)
561.463.6004 (Short Sales/Foreclosures)
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 26, 2012
Tom Park asked:
Wed Sep 26, 2012
George Capella answered:
Below I have enclosed the R4 Informationfrom the Dept of City Planning and I hope that it may be useful to you. As far as the changes you wish to make to your basement you will really need to speak with an architect and explain to him exactly what you want done. With that information he can determine if you will be able to do them. In most cases the city would have to approve any permaent changes you wish to make to your property to assure that the structure is sound.Your archetect can help you with filing your permits and getting the job started.. I hope that the link below helps you.. George

Dept of City Planning
Zoning > Zoning Districts - Residence Districts > R4
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 25, 2012
James Gordon ABR SFR SRS answered:
There used to be a conventional rehab loan. It required 20% down of the purchase price plus cost of repairs. The credit score to qualify was higher than the FHA 203(k) product but it was available to nonowner occupants. You may want to start to contact local lender to see if they offer it. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Your question is far too specific to your indivual situation to get an accruate answer just from your question.

Getting Pre-Qualified for a renovation mortgage should be your first step the process. As one of the largest direct lenders in the country, Prospect Mortgage offers one of the largest selections of loan programs available. In addition to the standard conventional, FHA, VA, USDA, and Jumbo, we also offer a wide range on Renovation loan programs. Our Renovation programs include FHA 203K (Streamline & Consultant), HomePath Renovation, and HomeStyle Renovation.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 7, 2013
Nancy answered:
I know a good contractor as well as a great electrician. They work at a good price too.
Call Harrison Williams at 803-428-8764 for contracting and Albert McEntire at 803-840-7859 for Electrical. Both are licensed in South Carolina. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Matt Laricy answered:
What is it you are looking to do? Are you looking to build place? Have your place remodeled?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Suzanne MacDowell answered:
Call your municipal officer and ask them what you need to do. Normally, if you had done the work, the inspector would come and, if everything was done properly, he would certify that and close the permit. I am a bit surprised that the municipality hasn't already contacted you about the open permits, but sometimes the paperwork gets lost. Call them and ask them what to do, it's probably a pretty simple process. ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
... 7 8 9 10 11 ...
Search Advice