Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Code Violations : Home Selling : Nationwide Real Estate Advice

  • All723K
  • Local Info60K
  • Home Buying264K
  • Home Selling45K
  • Market Conditions26K

Activity 73
Showing results for Code Violations [Clear search]
Tue Feb 15, 2011
Stacy Carter answered:
There's a section in the Seller's Disclosure form that asks the question if any improvements were made without permits. You'll want to have the addition carefully inspected to make sure there are no hazards or code violations.

Legally, it shouldn't prevent you from buying the home, but it is a buyer beware situation.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 21, 2011
Gail Gladstone answered:
As a Realtor, my personal opinion would be that they had time to do their due diligence and their attorney should have searched title and history.

Are you liable? You need to ask your Attorney. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 19, 2015
If you sell all cash to an investor, you might get one who will take it with the violations. If the person wants a standard FHA loan, then probably not. If they are going to take out a 203k renovation loan, then they could probably do it as long as they get a figure on the cost to cure the violation.
If they are planning on a conventional loan, I am not sure if you will find anyone who will go with one of the out-of-town lenders that does not ask for municipals, and may not pick up the violation. THe next thing, however, is to find a person who is using a lawyer who will not order a title report with a building and violations search, and will allow his client to close that way. What is involved in fixing the violation?
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 24, 2010
Joan Braunschweiger answered:
I honestly don't know what to say. Actually at a loss for words (not my usual condition). Please tell me more- I love good stories!

Oh, one thought about the crazy stalker agent- has the broker been made aware of the situation? I hope, really hope you don't tell me that the agent is the broker.

Now, about that cross dressing contractor......
... more
0 votes 22 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 11, 2010
Marc Comisar answered:
Certainly cannot hurt.
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Nicole Monary answered:
I can't give you an exact answer for how ofter Trulia updates the solds on their website. As an agent, I have access to that information on a daily basis. Here are all the properties that have sold in Benicia since September 1st. and their selling price.

20913426 WEST K St Benicia, 825,000
21005458 Orchid Ct Benicia, CA 94510 411,000
21009016 Shirley Dr Benicia, CA 94510 150,000
21013840 W K St Benicia, CA 94510 874,500
21015372 Mountview Ter Benicia, CA 94510 540,000
21016512 Snapdragon Dr Benicia, CA 94510 410,000
21017656 Del Centro Benicia, CA 94510 141,500
21018343 Devonshire Dr Benicia, CA 94510 251,000
21019388 Dartmouth Pl Benicia, CA 94510 349,500
21021006 E 7th St Benicia, CA 94510 170,007
21019967 Devonshire Dr Benicia, CA 94510 250,000
21020526 Charles Ct Benicia, CA 94510 569,000
21022151 Lansing Cir Benicia, CA 94510 580,000
21022753 McAllister Dr Benicia, CA 94510 605,000
21023414 Southampton Rd #11 51,010

If you are interested in knowing more about the trends in the Benicia market as well as getting updates on new listings or solds, please contact me at 707-337-2249. Or my website:
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 11, 2013
Michelle Minik answered:
You must list it at market value to begin the process. If after some time you don't have any offers then you reduce the price. Of course if you are in a foreclosure situation it is always nice to have an investor bid on it in the beginning to see where the bank stands and to prolong the foreclosure, but most likely they will go with market value or slightly below market value based on a cash offer. You must play your cards right in this situation because each short sale is different and each will have a different outcome.

You also must consult an attorney and an accountant regarding the implications you may have prior to listing your home. Make sure a short sale is the right choice for your situation. Feel free to email me your contact information and I can send you a list of three attorneys and accountants.
... more
0 votes 152 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 16, 2010
Debra B Albert PA answered:
A buyer is not going to IGNORE this issue. In fact if the current owner does not clean up this mess the buyer will have to. Call your building department, there is a cure. In my area, engineering drawings need to be presented to the building department and the permit fee is doubled. Another option is to remove the addition. Either one will work.

Selling a property as-is goes to condition. As-is condition IS NOT everything, major systems still must operate. A sellers property disclosure is NECESSARY...if he or she tries to hide this issue, they will probably end up in court later. Better to handle it now NOT later.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 5, 2010
Steven Ornellas answered:
Hi Clayton,

You can check for Agent DRE violations here:

Note that DRE licensees are NOT bound to a Code of Ethics; only Realtors take that oath, which can be viewed here:

You can check to make sure an Agent is a Realtor by going here:

Best, Steve
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 23, 2017
Jennifer Blanchard answered:
Good morning, Debarc, each town is different. But, I do not believe that a buyer can waive the right to a CO. You probably should confirm with your real estate attorney.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon May 10, 2010
John Juarez answered:
Greed gets the best of some people, including some real estate sale people.

If you can prove what you are alleging, you should report this agent and his broker who threatened you to your state licensing agency. If the actions you claim are found to be true loss of license may follow. If the parties involved are Realtors, meaning members of the local Realtor Associations, call the Association offer and discuss what steps you can take to bring a claim of ethical misconduct against both the agent and broker.

I am saddened by your experience.
... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Gregory Parker answered:
I think we need a little more information... Like why do you want out of your contract?
0 votes 27 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 30, 2010
Vivianne Rutkowski answered:

The buyer agent ( also called the selling agent) had NO right to give the key to YOUR property to the buyer, who did NOT own the property.

Your agent, called the listing agent, representing you as the seller needs to inform your broker, called the listing broker, who in turn should contact the selling broker representing the buyer.

Your broker should also report it to NVAR - it is an unacceptable violation of your rights as the seller and as the homeowner.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 7, 2010
Guy Gimenez answered:
If things occurred as you stated, you should definitely take the time to contact the real estate licensing authority in your state. This is a very serious accusation and should be investigated. If you don't follow through with this, you become part of the problem instead of part of the solution. Sounds like both the broker and agent should be investigated, especially since you notified the broker of this agent's actions and the broker ignored it. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Paul Walker answered:
There are many things that the City of Belleville will be looking for. You may call the city and have them mail you a copy of what they look for.
1) no peeling paint
2) windows must operate and stay open on their own
3) smoke detectors in every bedroom
4) carbon mononide detector within 15 feet of bedrooms
5) Ground Fault Curcuit Interupters (GFCI outlets in bathrooms, above kitchen countertops, outside receptacles, and inside the garage
6) no wire splicing or open electric junction boxes
7) no over fusing inside a fuse box - if curcuit breakers no "knockouts" open, no double lugging inside panel
8) no electric wires exposed (need to be in conduit)
9) door between garage and inside the home must be a firerated door
10) if attached garage the wall that adjoins the home needs to be firerated drywall and if living space above the garage then ceiling must have firerated drywall
11) 3" numbers on the house for 911 purposes
12) if gas furnace and water heater no copper for gas (hard pipe or the new "yellow" flex gas line
13) properly installed "sediment tube or dirt leg" for gas appliances (furnace,water heater)
14) no leaks under faucets
15) toilets must flush and have the "fluidmaster" brand (and not keep running after flushing)
16) no cracked or broken windows
17) need a smoke decector on every level of the home (including basement)
18) No keys needed to unlock an exterior door to get out of the home (in case of fire)
19) garbage disposal needs to have wire in conduit and not exposed under sink

Thats most of them!

Cracked walls? I'm not really sure, but I would try to have walls repaired depending how bad the cracks are, because you cannot have peeling paint, so if peeling then repaint those walls after correcting the cracks.

Many Thanks,

Paul Walker, Broker Associate
Realty Executives of Metro East
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 4, 2011
Vik Wadhwa answered:
This should be brought up to the rest of the residents because this will be an issue for any future buyers as well. Has the bank said how much the building needs to have in reserves? Would the association consider a small special assessment to build those reserves? Would like to see $2,000 per unit in reserves. ... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 28, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
Without knowing the details of your agent's violations--why not check with an attorney who specializes in real estate before signing anything.

0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 18, 2017
James Gordon ABR SFR SRS answered:
Good bussiness to get into if have the cash. You offer people 50 cents on the dollar for the after repaired value of the property. You don't need to make many deals, one out of a hundred will give you a good income. ... more
0 votes 52 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 10, 2011
Kipp Blackburn answered:
Yes, to both questions....unless the code violations make the property inhabitable as far as the city is concerned.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 29, 2010
J R answered:
Most flat fee listings I see instruct people to call the homeowner. In these cases the "listing agent" doesn't do any representing at all, of buyers OR sellers. There are flat fee companies that actually show the home to buyers? ... more
0 votes 42 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4
Search Advice