Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Living Without Certificate Of Occupancy All Locations : Nationwide Real Estate Advice

  • All709K
  • Local Info59K
  • Home Buying260K
  • Home Selling43K
  • Market Conditions26K

Activity 55
Showing results for Living Without Certificate Of Occupancy [Clear search]
Sun Nov 15, 2015
Jenet Levy answered:
Hi Eduardo. To be considered a bedroom, there must be a window. Otherwise it is usually referred to as a "home office." Ktichens and baths however do not have to have windows.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 6, 2009
Jeff K answered:
Hi Danielle,

That sounds funny. Breach of contract is breach of contract - you don't have one. I don't see anything wrong with an offer that has a stipulation in it - they can accept that offer, counter, or decline. Perhaps there is something about how Florida works that's different than this?

You might consider paying to have an inspection done, before you make your offer. Thing is the WAY that you have phrased it might be the issue. For example, an offer of $X - with inspection contingency - usually means that you CAN walk if you don't like what's IN the inspection report. But you really can't demand that it "pass inspection" in a short sale situation. You won't even be able to enforce that the seller guarantees the C/O (certificate of occupancy). In a normal resale (well here in PA anyway) - the seller must guarantee the CO. I've no idea if that holds true for FL - but anyway this isn't a resale, it's a short sale.

So ... it's a much more complex type of sale but it can be possible to get a sizeable discount vs. market value.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 30, 2014
Dallas Texas answered:
Work with your buyers agent, could be bank may not approve the loan w/o permits .

~ National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Lecturer regarding Credit Repair, Mortgage Loan Officer ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 23, 2009
Craig Fox answered:

If the room is heated and cooled by the wall unit, it may count as living area if other criteria are met. Go to the following link and click on "Residential Square Footage Guidelines" to see a complete set of the guidelines for measuring square footage.

Craig Fox
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 2, 2009
Renee Porsia answered:
Hi Jeff,

Happy New Year!

If you are looking for an investment property, you will just need to get pre-approved prior to starting your search.. Once you find a place that meets your needs, you can then meet with your mortgage consultant to get them everything they may need such as W-2s perhaps pay stubs. Once you have taken care of everything the bank needs, they will be ready to issue your mortgage commitment and you will be ready to settle.

If you are having inspections, they would be done of course prior to settlement.

What exactly are you looking for, what is your price range and which area are you interested in?

I'd love to help you or answer any questions you may have. Feel free to contact me if you would like.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee Register for Free to receive every new listing that comes on the market. Try it now!
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 9, 2017
Maureen Francis & Dmitry Koublitsky answered:
I don't know who John Beck is or what his commercial says. If something seems to good to be true it generally is. A house that would cost less than $1,000 probably needs tens of thousands of dollars of work on it just to make it inhabitable.

There are lots of great deals to be had in today's market. I suggest you speak with a local Realtor to get a better idea about those deals in your market.
... more
0 votes 32 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 25, 2008
Arlene Trunzo, CRS,GRI,SRES answered:
Sorry Arabrab, I don't fully understand your question. You may want to call the Building dept. and ask them your question. Or re phrase it and I will try to help with an answer if I can.

Arlene Trunzo, Board certified licensed Real Estate Broker
A.T. Real Estate Specialists LLC
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 25, 2008
Chris & Stephanie Somers answered:
Is it one house of many in a development ? Or is just one house that stands alone ? Also, is it a house or a new condo development ? If it is a house, is it brand new construction or a rehab ? You can certainly contact your landlord your clarification. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Apr 21, 2017
Adelina Rotar answered:
I haven't had one that has closed; however, one of my buyers is using this loan to buy a foreclosed property. One of my loan officers at Regions Bank has just recommended the FHA 203B program. Apparantly, it's something new that they have unleashed to get foreclosed properties moving.

I'd be interested to read what others have experienced with a rehab loan.
... more
0 votes 36 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 25, 2008
Joan Prout answered:
Jersey Girl,

No one can make you sell your house for less money than you want. Keep in mind that one of the responsibilities your agent has involves telling you the truth, even when you don't want to hear it.

NJ is a state where sellers are required to disclose all problems they know about with a house. If the problems that they know about. If the items that the buyers are asking for credit for are something you knew about, you should have disclosed them up front. If you didn't know about them, you do now. If you don't got through with THIS contract you and your agent will have to disclose the condition issue from now on.

What does your real estate attorney say? If you're in a part of NJ that routinely uses them as closing agents, that verbal "as is" agreement should have been put into the contract. Buyers still regularly have a home inspection contingency that allows the buyer a chance to see what he's getting into. It isn't supposed to be used as an opportunity to renegotiate an agreed price (at the time more beneficial to them than the seller), but often that is what happens.

You say you can't afford to give a credit. Can you make some of the repairs yourself instead? Or offer them something other than money? Lawnmower? An antique carpet that fits perfectly in the living room? Can you change the closing date to something more convenient to them? Offer them less money (you're in negotiations here...) or a combination of the above.

What happens if you cancel this deal and the next offer, comes in $15,000 lower?

Or doesn't come in for another 6 months?

I love historic homes and have sold a lot of them. I always advise owners to have a home inspection of their own done before the house is listed. Then we provide the report to the buyers. That way the owner can correct little things if they want but say to the buyer prospects and their agents that the house is being sold "as is". Buyers are encouraged to have their own inspection, but you won't correct or make a credit for anything that was on YOUR inspection report. It costs you a few hundred dollars upfront, but it makes for a much smoother deal all around.

Another truth about selling in that in NJ, sales activity tends to decline in the fall. You may well still own the house when the spring market returns 6 months from now, and it is extremely unlikely that a house that sits on the market for a long time generates higher prices. It has to be a rampant seller's market for that to happen.

It really comes down to you can say no to the credit (nicely, of course), but can you afford to if the buyer walks away.

Good luck.

Joan Prout, MBA
Broker Associate
Jersey City, NJ
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Jeff and Ginny Mitchell answered:
You should of course listen to your attorney, but I am concerned that the building inspector does not agree with that assessment. Did you call the county or city or go online to learn the applicable building codes? Here in Florida, a bedroom by definition MUST have a door, a window, and a closet. A window for alternate egress in case, for example, fire prevents escape through the door, is a legitimate and very important safety issue. Therefore, a window large enough to exit through is part of the building code that is required for a bedroom. Learn the building code requirements in your area. An online search might direct you to the specific code for your situation. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 19, 2017
Larry Story answered:
I have heard of Sirva but, as a company we deal with CARTUS. Sirva has had problems in the past from the scuttlebutt. But, that is all heresay. But, now I have never had any dealings with them myself. ... more
0 votes 60 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 11, 2008
C Tann-Starr answered:
Hi Abigail,

This information was collected from a press release at

Departments of Buildings, Zoning Task Force Targets Illegal Conversions
Inspectors Cite Owners of Illegal Apartment Units

An illegal conversion occurs when a building owner constructs additional living space that is not allowed by building or zoning code.

On February 23-25, 2005 a task force of City building and zoning inspectors visited 57 locations in the Archer Heights, Brighton Park and West Lawn neighborhoods, and wrote scores of citations for code violations.

"When landlords illegally convert their single-family homes into multiple dwelling units, they often cause unsafe situations," said Department of Buildings Commissioner Stan Kaderbek. "Our joint task force took immediate action against a serious problem."

The most commonly cited building code violations included: no emergency exits; no ventilation equipment for kitchens or bathrooms in basement and attic apartments; inadequate heating systems for attic apartments; and inadequate light and ventilation for basement apartments.

FYI: Carbon monoxide (CO) is a odorless, colorless gas produced by burning fossel fuels (Fossil fuels shall include natural gas, coal, kerosene, oil, propane and wood etc.) Exposure to lower levels of CO over several hours can be just as dangerous as exposure to higher levels for a few minutes.

Those most at risk are:
1. Children.
2. Elderly.
3. People with lung or heart disease.
4. Pregnant women.

Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning include:
1. Headache.
2. Fatigue.
3. Sleepiness.
4. Weakness.
5. Nausea, Vomiting.
6. Dizziness, Confusion.
7. Trouble breathing.

In NYC, an adult family member may stay in a basement bedroom without penalty, but it is not recommended for a guest (e.g. tenant or anyone else), so I am assuming there is a personal liability / insurance issue in addition to the possible health hazzards. Regards, C.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Jacqueline Fortier - JC Penny Realty answered:
Hello Mario,

Please tell me you had a U.S. Realtor with you when you signed the contract to purchase.
It is very inportant for you, especially when buying from overseas to have someone well versed in the differences between the U.K. and U.S.
I am not in the Hollywood area, so I will leave the values to an agent in the area.
What kind of amenities will this condo hotel have?
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 6, 2013
Chris & Stephanie Somers answered:
I would contact a buyers agent that specializes in that area. That way you can get an independent assesstment from someone that could potentially represent your son. It might even be worth paying that realtor if the seller does not agree to pay a commission. Or you can contact a local appraisal person that could do the same thing. It seems like it would be a wise investment to make sure the decision is a wise one or not. Good luck ! ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice