Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Roof Certification All Locations : Nationwide Real Estate Advice

  • All708K
  • Local Info59K
  • Home Buying260K
  • Home Selling43K
  • Market Conditions26K

Activity 119
Showing results for Roof Certification [Clear search]
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Gina Odom answered:
Typically a "move-in" ready home suggests that it's been updated and or remodeled. You may also hear it being called "turn-key." It implies that you have to do nothing to move in and It's been updated and inspection reports are coming back with little or no work that needs to be done. If this is the case, these houses do tend to yield a higher purchase price. Many home buyers don't want to have to do any work. They want the luxury of just moving in. Often times, you will see multiple offers that jack up the purchase price. If you are considering this type of house, be sure to have your Realtor look over the inspection reports to make sure they have not missed anything. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean the house is necessarily in good shape. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 30, 2012
Gary Hitchcock answered:
Thu May 31, 2012
Sarah Goulart Nathe answered:
That they can present their information in an 'alarmist' manner.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 3, 2012
Joe Nernberg answered:
Disconnecting and reconnecting the faucet and drain piping? Needs a permit. I see Frankenstein-like plumbing under sinks every week. Mostly, your renovations seem like things I would not get permitted. Not my advice really - just my opinion.

Short list of things requiring a permit in California: new dual pane windows, furnace replacement, water heater replacement, re-roof, ceiling fan, cooling unit replacement, new electrical panel, kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, patio cover, framing alterations.

Permits trigger the installation of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. HVAC replacement (full or partial) triggers duct testing and sealing/repairs. Pre 1978 homes need a lead certification and remediation when you manipulate and sand walls or floors.

New work on old homes require new (today's) code compliance.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 28, 2012
Dan Tabit answered:
Without seeing the home, it's hard to be certain. If your roof is questionable, it will definitely create a problem for resale. Some loans will not be approved if you can't provide a 5 year roof certification by a licensed roofer. Carpeting is a popular preparation for resale and can help.
Rather than consider these and other repairs/replacements as adding resale, in many cases they just make a home saleable. Clean, neat, move in ready are the main things a buyer is looking for and willing to pay for.
I would encourage you to discuss your potential plans with a couple local agents to gain some insight. These may be the top places to spend some money, but they may not. Without local knowledge and expertise and the chance to view your home and property it's hard to be certain this is what to do.
I wrote a blog piece about preparing for staging. I've attached a link that may be helpful. Best of luck.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 10, 2011
Nina Harris answered:
Yes, more than likely there will be another inspection. The bank will require this. Perhaps the attorneys can work out money left in escrow.

Sorry for your troubles and I'm sure everything will work out fine. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 15, 2012
John Arendsen answered:
You've chosen the right venue for this question. There are many pros and cons to purchasing a "Factory Built" home. I will try to summarize the best way I can but if you still have any questions please do not hesitate to email me at

There's a big difference between purchasing what is known as a Pre HUD "Mobile Home" (built before June 15, 1976) and a HUD compliant "Manufactured Home" built after June 15, 1976. There's also a big difference in the way Factory Built homes were built between the 70's and from the 80's on.

You need to be very careful with a Pre HUD home for many reasons the first being potential health concerns as many "Mobile Homes" built during and up to the mid 70's utilized formaldehyde and asbestos in some of their building components in the roof, countertops, insulation and misc building materials.

Getting insurance and financing on homes built during this period is difficult if not often impossible albeit most homes that old in that particular area are pretty inexpensive and often paid for in full without the need for financing. But insurance is a must if you don't want to lose all your personal contents as well.

If any "Factory Built" home is in a Zone 4 Seismic area, which most if not all of the Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Desert Hot Springs, Yucca Valley, Thousand Palms, Indio, Cochealla Valley, Salton Sea, etc. area is in, you will need to make sure the home you purchase has a State approved "Earthquake Resistant Bracing System" (ERBS) installed. Most insurance companies won't give you any homeowner's insurance unless you do.

Now for the good news. HUD compliant homes built after June 15, 1976 have to comply with regulation housing building requirements and cannot contain caustic or carcinogenic materials. They are built like traditional "Site Built" or "Stick Built" homes and are built to last as long.

Many HUD compliant Manufactured Homes built from the 80's on even have 2x6 exterior walls, cathedral ceilings, drywall, Masonite, T 111 and Hardy Board (cement) and even stucco siding and can even have tile roofs. In many instances you won't even know the difference between them or any traditionally built home unless they are in a designated "Manufactured Home Community", "Mobile Home Park", "Manufactured Home Condo Conversion" or "Planned Unit Development" (PUD).

You can buy a mobile or manufactured home in a park, condo conversion or PUD but where you will get the best prices is in rental parks. You purchase and own the home but you will pay a monthly rental fee for the space. Many areas do not have any type of rent control so you are at the mercy of your landlord and your ability to negotiate an adequate rent/lease agreement.

If you purchase a home in a Condo conversion or a PUD you will actually own your own lot plus an interest in the overall development. Example: If the development has 100 spaces you will own your lot plus 1/100 of the overall development. Even if you own your own lot there will always be HOA fees you will have an ongoing responsibility for.

There are several very well maintained Mobile Home Parks and Manufactured Housing Communities in the desert area but there are also many "Toilets" as they are referred to in the industry. You should be very careful when choosing the community you wish to live in. Use a real estate or Manufactured Home professional who specializes in Factory Built Housing and understands all the nuances of the industry and the parks, developments and private residence (single lot not in a park, condo conversion or PUD)

Most important of all, however, is to hire an experienced "Factrory Built Home Inspector" to thoroughly inspect every/any home you are interested in. Don't just hire any "Home Inspector". Most home inspectors don't know or understand all the nuances related to a MH and won't even crawl under the home and give it a thorough inspection.

You need to make sure that the home is not in a flood plain or if it is you need to make sure that the home has an adequate French and surface drain system that will catch and divert any water be it run off or percolation (sub surface seepage).

Additionally, make sure the vapor barrier (black membrane under the floor of the home that holds in the insulation) and insulation are in tact and not ripped open by careless plumbers or tradesmen or being occupied by varmints.

Lastly make sure the home is level and that all the piers and pads are in good shape and tightly secured to the mainframe (steel chassis) of the home and make sure the home has a state approved ERBS system under it. If it doesn't and you still wish to purchase the home please make sure you have an ERBS system installed. Depending on the size of the home (single, double, triple wide, etc.) it will range from $1500 to $6000 depending on the system you choose.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 15, 2012
Dot Chance answered:
You should let your agent know that you still don't understand what she is trying to say and ask her to explain again and again until you feel comfortable understanding. IF she is saying to waive the appraisal contingency before you even see it, in my mind, that would be foolish. Your agent's job is to protect your best interest throughout the transaction.

All my best,
Dot Chance, Realtor®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
DRE License #01494182
Keller Williams Realty World Media Center

WHEN YOU THINK OF REAL ESTATE...Think! My business thrives from your referrals!
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sun Nov 20, 2011
Gina Chirico answered:

If termites are found during the inspection, the bank (your mortgage company) will require that they be remediated. Usually a certification from an exterminator or proof of extermination or exterminating treatment should rectify any problems arising from homeowner's insurance and/or mortgage company. It should be the responsibility of the homeowner (seller) to take care of termites but if your dealing with a short sale and you are responsible, you should contact an exterminator. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 30, 2014
Mack McCoy answered:
No. Don't worry about it. If there is actual structural damage, ask to have the affected wood replaced. Carpenter ants do not destroy Seattle houses.

All the best,
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Thu May 14, 2015
Ron Thomas answered:
Probably about the same in Florida;

A General Home Inspection costs about $350 for about 1700 sqft.
If there is a Pool, Outbuildings, more square feet, then it goes up.

They generally will not include PEST or ROOF in that, as those are separate inspections and require climbing UNDER and in the ATTIC: They are pretty specialized.

This would tell you, that you want to have all three done.

Out here, the Roof Inspection is generally free, so that they can get a small job of repairing and doing a 2-5 year CERT.
The Pest is only about $60, in anticipation of getting any pest work that is needed.

I hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 23, 2015
John Sacktig answered:

I would contact the roofer that gave the certification and made the repairs and have them come and take a look at the situation and discuss your options.

I have found that in todays market and world.. almost everyone feels that new a new ___________ should be installed. I would call the previous roofer, but lose the "go after" portion of the conversation and see what they have to say since you have the certification from them.

Let us kinow how it goes!
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu May 17, 2012
Alexander Shulzhenko, ePro answered:
Hello Jim,
None that are for sale at this moment, unless i am mistaken.
If you are looking for low energy homes i am sure we can find something.
If you want to work with me please contact me at your convenience: 267 738 0886
Besides the energy criteria i would need to know more about what type of home you are looking for.

Alexander Shulzhenko
Realty Mark Cityscape
267 738 0886
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 13, 2015
Anna M Brocco answered:
Prices will vary depending on your needs and contractor--in order to find a reputable contractor, contact any Local Chamber of Commerce office, and ask...also ask for recommendations from family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun May 1, 2011
Tim Moore answered:
Obtaining a loan has certain costs, you would be well advised to go to a bank and ask to speak to the loan officer and ask them to break down the costs for you - it's what they do. They can also tell you what you could afford to borrow. Speaking to a lender 1st is step #1. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 11, 2016
Carlos Escamilla answered:

Every folio that starts with 30 needs a CU if the property was obtain throught a CTI (certificated of title) if is a bank owned or purchased by an investor.
Also make sure you obtain the CU prior to negociated any offer.
The penalty is about $500 dollars a day if you don't have it.
I hope all this information help you.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 1, 2017
Bill Eckler answered:

The types of inspections available are: structural, well testing, septic inspection, WDO(termite inspection), pool, HVAC, etc.

We recommend arranging for a general structural inspection that will pretty much cover the home itself. roof, windows, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, appliances, asbestos, etc. It may be helpful to mention any concerns you have to the inspector, prior to commiting to any service.

Since there can be a very wide variety of areas that could be covered, it would be important to discuss the extent of the inspection with the service provider before hand. We recommend an inspector that does a structural inspection and a pest inspection for one fee.

Good luck,

... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 30, 2015
x answered:
If there are pretty easily seen indications that a roof has been leaking it will probably be included in the report. Or noted in their report that a roof inspection may be necessary. Home Inspectors are usually not qualified to do a roof inspection.

If you are concerned about the roof it's always best to hire a good roofer to inspect it and get a written report.

If you can see that the roof does not look good from standing in the yard you can count on replacing it before long. Having said that - newer roofs leak sometimes too.

I believe that one of the very most important parts of a house is the roof. If the roof leaks it can lead to a lot of damage in the home and a lot of money in repairs.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 23, 2015
x answered:
When an inspection is ordered a roofer comes out and inspects the roof and profides a report on it's conditon.

A certification goes a step further where if the roof is in very good condition or after needed repairs are done - usually for a price, the roofer will certify the roof is in good condition.
Meaning if there are any problems covered by the certification and within time limits, the roofing company will come back out and make the repairs for free.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon May 29, 2017
Ray And Karen Levy answered:

If the home is in an area approved for USDA.

The lender must also be USDA approved.
0 votes 22 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6
Search Advice