Home Selling in Hutto>Question Details

Karrie, Home Seller in Hutto, TX

My husband and I are planning to relocate in summer 2009.

Asked by Karrie, Hutto, TX Tue Aug 5, 2008

We currently live in Hutto, Tx and moving to Idaho. If we want to move the 1st of June, how soon should we list our house?

Help the community by answering this question:



I belong to the Austin Board and the Williamson County Board of Realtors.

2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008

Yes that is what I am referring to. A good percentage of contracts are written with down payment assistance from the seller especially when dealing with first time home buyers. Is the builder still building in your area? You may be correct about what your home is worth. I won't know until I see it. Can we set up a time for me to preview the property and give you a market analysis. I promise not to pressure you. You are in my service area.

Carol Ann Pease, ABR, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008

You are in trouble no matter what you do but you are definitely in first-time home buyer territory. There is a window of opportunity here and I cannot stress that enough. One of the best tools for first time home buyers is being eliminated. We have less than 60 days to get your home sold and closed. You are also competing with new construction and builders are offering tremendous incentives. If your home doesn't close before October 1, 2008 it may sit out there for a very long time.

Carol Ann Pease, ABR, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Hi Karrie:

What do you think the price of your home should be? If it is in the range of first-time home buyers then you have a problem by waiting. Qualifying for a loan is going to get harder after October 1, 2008. There will no longer be any way for the seller to assist with down payment for the buyer. You will still be able to pay their closing costs but that is it. I wish I had a crystal ball to tell you what tomorrow's market may bring but I don't. So by waiting until next year you may miss the window of opportunity that currently exists. The President signed a new law last week which is supposed to help home buyers but the regulations to implement that law have not been written yet. My advice to you would be to list your home now and be prepared to move twice. If you price it appropriately then it should sell. Don't put it out there with a price that is unrealistic because it will get stale on the market. Hire an agressive agent! If you would like a market analysis on your home I would love to assist you. Please give us a call.

Carol Ann Pease, ABR, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Hi Karrie,
I dont see the market getting any better between now and next summer. Your value may continue to decline as well. Perhaps you should consider marketing the property now and if you get lucky and find a quick sale treat it as a blessing and suffer through the added effort of packing and repacking that a rental situation will put you thru.
All the best,
James Joseph
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Sounds like you have a narrow margin which makes things a little tougher. Do some research on the new 'rescue'. I'm not sure it will be as much help as you've been hearing in the media. Check out the site below for some of the conversations and read the comments. I would get in touch with a local agent to discuss your situation. There is no guarantee that your 5% will be there in a year - so now I'm not sure waiting is the best approach when you have such a narrow margin.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
To answer the question below, I hope to sell my house for around $154k. I've done some research and that seems to be reasonable for the area.

I appreciate all the quick responses. I know the future cannot be predicted, but so far it sounds like I'm going to be in trouble no matter what I do. I list now and risk moving twice or list later and risk not selling at all. Yikes. Not surprising news, though.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Hi Maureen,
I have seen your signs and you were on my list of people to call! However, with the massive unemployment rate in Idaho, we've decided to stay in Hutto for at least another year or two. If the economy in that area picks up, I will be in touch.

thanks so much!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 1, 2009
I live and work in Hutto. We live in CreekBend and also have a property in the Enclave Subdivision.
My husband and I own the local REMAX Vision.
It is located in the strip center right across from the Dollar General on Front St...between the liquor store and Ricks cleaners...next to city hall.
I am sure you have seen our signs around town. (Maureen & AC Rooker) We also have the REMAX tahoe.
Where is your house located? That will make a big difference. Certain neighborhoods have more than their share of foreclosures, which has driven the prices down.
Fortunately for us, we are still considered a rural community, and we have Zero Down financing still available. This helps alot! I am very creative with financing, I used to have a mortgage license.
We know this town like the back of our hands.
I serve as chair person of the Planning and zoning department, and I am very active in the community as a whole. I would like to think that I know pretty much everything going on in town. We sell more property in Hutto than anyone! WE ARE THE LOCAL EXPERTS! I would love to set an appointment to come by and see your home, and tell you my professional oponion. I am a broker and I am experienced in almost every aspect of the real estate industry.
Web Reference: http://www.HuttoRealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 31, 2009
Karrie, You're doing the right thing by starting early with your questions. However, the truth is none of us can predict what the market in Hutto will be like a year from now. I will say most of the Realtors I work with in the Round Rock, Cedar Park and Hutto areas all think the ways these areas are developing the properties values are expected to remain good and very possiblily appreciate. Find a Realtor your comfortable with. I know the area well myself if you ever want to ask me any questions. http://www.keithdowdle.com,

Keith Dowdle
Re/max Capital City
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 6, 2008
I'm glad to hear about the builder being almost done in your area. That is a real negative if the builder is still building in your subdivision. You just can't compete with their incentives. I look forward to hearing from you. My husband and I are a team. Last year we sold 150 homes. We do high-tech marketing and some unique and unusual things that I can demonstrate when we meet. Please give us a call when you are ready.

Carol Pease, ABR, CRB, CRS, e-PRO, GRI
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Sorry Karrie. I still like my original answer best too. :) But, that being said, there is no harm in getting as much info now as you can. Talk to a couple local experts and get their local insight. The more you know...

Don't stress. It will work out. It's good that you are considering all the possibilities now. All the best.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Ahhh - Linsey! I was liking your original answer best! Okay, I'm going to talk to my husband about meeting with some realtors and at least setting up a plan of action soon. Now i'm feeling stressed...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
I'll certainly give you a call when I'm ready. I've got a thing about asking a ton of questions, so I like that you've responded quickly and honestly. But, I want to take some time to consider what everyone has said and get a few more opinions.

My neighborhood is still rather new - about 5 years old, but I have seen a major slowdown in new construction. And they've sold all the model homes. (there might be 1 left on the market right now)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Ask your agent what the average days on market in the same price range as your home and get an idea of how many days it will take to sell and close! If your selling alone, have any agent do a CMA for you and you will get the same numbers! Best of Luck to you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Karrie, are homes in Hutto moving a bit slower these days? I would contact a local Realtor now. There is perception of slow moving markets because some homes are taking longer to sell and some price ranges may be taking longer to sell. However, perception isn't always reality. A Realtor visit now can clear up any misconceptions. They can also set a plan in action for any work that may need to be done to your home, and maybe even take the photographs now - with grass green and flowers blooming, rather than a Winter listing with bare trees, dormant grass, and blah skies. A knowledgeable Realtor can plan your listing to meet your pricing and timing goals. It is way too early now to actually put the listing in the system. If you don't want to move until next Summer, your days on the market with be used against you next year when a buyer comes your way and you won't get your possible top dollar. Put a timing and marketing strategy together now, but list after January 1, 2009. Some of the highest hits on real estate websites for the year happen between January and March. You can always negotiate to stay in your home a little longer to meet your June 1 relocation. We do that every year for people like school teachers who don't want to move during the school year and disrupt their students. We negotiate for them to stay in their homes through the end of the semester.
Web Reference: http://www.judgefite.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Carol - are you referring to seller's being able to assist with a down payment? I don't know exactly how that works, but I'm not sure I could assist even if I did get a buyer in the next 60 days. If I sell for around what I hope to get, I'll barely have enough to put 5% down on my next home.
Won't first time buyers get a large tax break with the new mortgage rescue plan?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
I'll be honest Karrie, I wouldn't sell now. I don't have a crystal ball but given the current climate (most recently the Indymac debacle) and the coming election (which always makes for a very slow real estate market) I think you have a better chance for stronger market conditions in Spring '09.

Talk to a local expert about your market cycles. I love April or May listings. March may be a bit early but you'll want to look at the average time on market for your area.

Good luck Karrie.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Please folks, don't assume that Texas is experiencing the same problems that the rest of the nation is housing wise. This is what gives the buyers here the mistaken belief that they should offer so much less and just wait the prices will come down more. We have only a slight decline in certain areas. This kind of talk can cause more of a decline eventually.
Yes Karrie March is a good time to list. You may want to start watching the market and checking on Realtors now.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
1st of March is not too soon. List it early, as early as possible. If it sells, you can rent in the meantime or stay with friends/relatives. The market is very unpredictable, no telling what the conditions will be next year.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Thanks Linsey! With houses moving quite a bit slower these days, would it be too soon to list in March?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
I just recently answered this very question on my blog. Hope this is helpful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer