Home Selling in Kansas>Question Details

Bev, Both Buyer and Seller in Olathe, KS

We are first-time sellers. At our realtors advice, we paid for a pre-inspection on our house. We made all

Asked by Bev, Olathe, KS Tue Aug 5, 2008

repairs suggested in the report. We now have a buyer who wanted another inspection done within 30 days of the last inspection. This report has a whole list of new items that are mainly cosmetic and did not even surface on the first report. They are now trying to renegotiate their original offer. We are also offering a home warranty at our expense. At what point do I tell the buyer to just forget it and move on?

Help the community by answering this question:


This is a tough pill to swallow I know. But keep your eye on the ball if you can. The goal is to get your home sold. If you hold firm and refuse the repairs they may still stick, or they may not. If this buyer walks you may still be able to find another 'more reasonable' buyer. Are you willing to take the risks associated with that? They new buyer will likely do their own inspection and may find something they find equally important. The price will be up for negotiation all over again. New loan with those inherent risks. There are no guarantees.

I understand the frustration - believe me. But keep your ultimate goal in mind. Keep the risks in mind. Make your decision by balancing both the risks and the goal.

Hope that helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Too many variables here to know how to answer. I think if you had enough trust in your agent to hire him/her then you should rely on them. If you bring in any two inspectors you will get different reports. Same with appraisers. It's just the way it is.

Refer to the Inspections portion of your KCRAR approved contract and ask your agent for help in understanding.

But the sad thing is buyers feel they have the leverage in this market. So asking for something and getting it can be/may be two different things.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Don't lose the deal. If they are mainly cosmetic they most likely won't amount to a lot of money. If you take a hard line and pass this buyer it might take a price reduction amounting to more money than what you are facing now to get the next acceptable offer. Try to split it with him.
Web Reference: http://www.PGILiving.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
We've already discounted the asking price of the house by 8%. It's only been on the market for 35 days and we have had about 15 showings. We have had at least two other buyers who are interrested but are waiting on their house to sell first. Right now we are only about $3000 over county appraisal. Just not sure if waiting it out could bring in a buyer who is more reasonable. . .
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
There are so many "what if's" about this situation that I would rely upon the advice of your agent.
Web Reference: http://CBKansas.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
If it is a small amount relative to the overall transaction I would cooperate with the prospective buyer. You can offer to pay half and if that doesn't work grin and bare it. Prices have been falling and if the buyer walks away you could be in a bind.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Kansas > Home Selling in Kansas > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer