Home Buying in Massachusetts>Question Details

Erik, Home Buyer in Sandwich, MA

i live in a 1300 sq ft house with a 10x14 cathedral ceiling abovedining room which i have requested a permit

Asked by Erik, Sandwich, MA Thu Apr 9, 2009

to convert into office space.i am being told it meets criteria for a bedroom therefor need septic inspection ect. i run my company from my home and need the extra space.how do i redraw to eliminate criteria of bedroom so i can put this floor in once and for all

Help the community by answering this question:


You'll probably have to have a general contractor familiar with the permitting process apply for and handle the work. Sometimes it takes someone who speaks the inspectional services language to properly explain things. There could be concern from the town that after you sell such a property the next owner may attempt to use the space as a bedroom and therefore your private sewerage system would need to be evaluated to see if it can handle additional volume. It's a bigger picture issue that could be a problem in the future that the local inspectional services department may be enforcing. You might look into finishing it off as an open loft without a closet or window (maybe a skylite instead) to limit it's being considered a potential bedroom. Once again consulting a licenced general contractor familiar with building codes and your individual towns methods will be needed.

Hope that helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 9, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer