How To... in 32771>Question Details

Maria, Other/Just Looking in Orlando, FL

how do I place a lein on my x home for outstanding judgement? I live in Florida

Asked by Maria, Orlando, FL Tue Aug 12, 2008

My x owes over 70,000.00 do to unpaid alimony for over 10 yrs .. can I place a lein on his home?

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 32771

Help the community by answering this question:


You can probably file a petition at the courthouse with or without an attorney if you have the divorce decree that states what the settlement is for alimony. It is possible that wages can be garnished to collect your payment--big question is why did you wait for 10 years to bring up the issue? What advice did you get from your attorney? If your attorney has not assisted you in collecting what is owed to you, I would find another attorney. This is not rocket science, assuming you have a proper divorce decree!!
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
If it is Homestead it may be exempt from judgment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me, I really appricate it.

It has taken my x 9 yrs just to pay 6 yrs of child support, and then only after the child support services stayed after him. He fufilled his child support last Feb. Now the State of Fla will not assist me in collecting any futher payments as they don't collect alimony. He has made promised to me that he would start paying something towards the debt... but as usually it is always empty. The divorce decree spells out alimony payments, but I can not afford to hire an attorney, so I wanted to file the papers myself against a piece of property he jointly owns. (not TBE)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
First step is to contact the attorney who handled your divorce and petition the Court to enforce the Marital Separation Agreement. You must obtain a judgment first before perfecting a lien. The Court can also issue an income deduction order and/or seize assets to satisfy the back alimony.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
good morning.......yes you can not only lien his home, but you can go after remedy thru the courts such as garnishing wages, or ckg and savings michigan if you seek remedy for a judgement and it is still not can actually go to the sheriff's dept in the count where the home proof that you have unsuccessfully collected and exhusted all legal remedy, and they can foreclose on the home to collect the debt..not sure about fla.hope that helps....bob mcclure- mortage now....farmington, michigan (248) 974-4444- i would start with a collection attorney....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer