Home Buying in 22044>Question Details

Sammie, Home Buyer in Falls Church, VA

Is there anything wrong with working with 2 different agents when searching for a home?

Asked by Sammie, Falls Church, VA Tue Feb 17, 2009

I live in Northern VA and was referred to a great agent by a co-worker. He is only licensed in Maryland. I've been looking for homes in Maryland and Virgina and would like to work with someone on the VA side. Should I continue to work with the gentlman in Maryland and find someone licensed in VA or should I seek someone licensed in VA and Maryland?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hey Sammie,
I would get a referral from your MD guy for someone who can handle the VA side. That way everyone has full disclosure and you won't have two agents competing against one another. Things can get dirty when that happens and you don't want to get caught in the middle
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 18, 2009
I agree with getting two agents working together for your best interests. I have done this successfully several times, for various reasons. I would encourage you to allow your MD agent to suggest who your VA agent will be. These two agents have to work together and so if they have an established relationship, it will make it go so much better for all three of you.

Good luck !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 18, 2009
Hi Sammie,
You could ask your great Maryland agent to refer you to a great agent in Virgnia to help you with the area(s) you are interested in. The two agents can work out the details regarding referral fees. I wish you the best in finding your perfect place.
Kind Regards,
Eunice Waller
Prudential Simpson & Associates
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 18, 2009
I review with each agent if they are licensed in both states? If so which areas do they cover, if either dont cover the entire specified locations you have an interest in 2 agents be your best interest. However notify both you searching in 2 states not one, therefore fair to them allow agent make their own decision.

Nice you are concerned regarding agents who are working on your behalf
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 17, 2009
You can ask the agent that you are working with he may have the right answer for you or direct you in the proper way to go about getting the right assistance that you need.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 17, 2009
Hey Sammie...great question. I would get an agent on both sides...maybe even ask the agent you are working with in MD to recommend someone in Virginia. You might even get the agents to have an agreement between them to share the commission in some way...maybe 80% of it for the agent in the state you buy in, and 20% for the agent in the state you don't. This would encourage them both to work for you rather than try to sell you quickly on a house so they don't end up working for free.
Web Reference: http://ourfairfax.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 17, 2009
As a licensed Realtor I would actually say no. But only as long as you disclose to both what you are doing. It might make the 2 work very hard for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 17, 2009
I call Real Estate very local, agents have to know the community to match your needs and the houses. To serve my clients best I feel its so hard being here and showing all is fair to my clients. Even if I am licensed in MD and VA I would only work in VA -- We had a client who wanted to see in MD, we asked him to seek someone there who can guide advise and be ahead of the game. But had VA buyer agnecy with us and MD with another person.

But I know agents crossing the river all the time. It's your comfort or discomfort level that should guide you through.
Web Reference: http://www.Realtygeeks.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 17, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer