General Area in Riverdale>Question Details

Eric, Other/Just Looking in Riverdale, MD

How can I get a plot plan for my house?

Asked by Eric, Riverdale, MD Sat Apr 12, 2008

I am getting ready to have an additon put onto my house and the builder is asking for a plot plan. How and where can I get a plot plan of my house?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hello Eric, you should be able to get a plot plan from your local Engineering Dept..Marion Chase
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 17, 2013
How can I obtain copy of my real estate plan property with all the measurement on it
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 16, 2016
I have to put up a new fence and they need a plot plan of water lines, etc. where and how do I obtain this copy? Dallas, Texas
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2016
Plot Plan of 5702 Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave NE Washington DC 20019
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 15, 2013
Plot Plan of 5702 Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave NE Washington DC 20019
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 15, 2013
Some of the suggestions below can get you started but a warning for those building close to property or setback lines.

Unless a survey map is certified in YOUR name, it is very unlikely any legal issues/liabilty can be remedied against the land surveyor- you are on your own. If you have a large or complicated addition it may also be worth having a professional surveying company help layout the addition and check footings and/or foundations before construction proceeds to completion.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 22, 2013
5 years ago, when you asked the question, it sounds like you meant a Plat of Survey, which is probably in your safe deposit box from when you bought the house.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 27, 2013
obviously you go to a designer.. I am also a designer.. they will help to you..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 27, 2013
How can I get a plot plan for my house?
The property is located on Lot # 379, Harbor View Heights, in the Bay Park area of San Diego.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 2, 2013
where can i get a plot plan a house at 1161 Levinson st Torrance CA 90502 apn number7345-019-014
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
If you want to draw one yourself there is a great tutorial on how to draw a plot plan and find the resources necessary to make it accurate enough to apply for a building permit with at the address below. There is a difference between a plot plan and a site map. A site map is prepared by a civil engineer and can be used as a legal document to help with transferring title to a home. A plot plan uses the information on a site map and adds to it all the things on your property like the home, driveway, trees etc. The plot plan can be used to apply for a building permit or simply let a contractor you are hiring know where you want something built.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 17, 2012
where can i get a plot plan a house at 12897 114th St No. Largo Fl
I need it to pull a permit to put a new fence up for the owner
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 8, 2012
I use to work on these at an engineering firm for 13 years. There is actually 3 types. Plot Plans, Foundation maps and loan maps. You may be able to find one of your house if you know which builder built your house. A lot of times a builder will go to a engineer or a surveyor and you can contact them and they should run you a copy. A foundation map is a map where the builder needs a surveyor to located the corners of the house and draw it of a map showing your property. The bank requires these so that the builder can get their loan from the bank. A loan map is kind of the same as a foundation map but the surveyor goes back out and locates the driveway,porches, deck, etc so when you buy the house at closing it shows your names and what is located. Hope this helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 4, 2011
Although this issue is two years old, I will still add my 2c. First, I am surprised that the people who prepared the plans for your addition didn't verify the buildable footprint my refering to the survey. Maybe a professional didn't prepare any plans then I am wrong in that regard. Here in Texas we call this a Title Survey. Before a Title Company will issue a Title Policy, a survey needs to be prepared. You paid for this survey out of the closing cost. Somewhere in your title documents is a copy of it for your records. If you didn't get one, call the title company. You should have one. Preserve it. Don't draw on it. Run a few copies or scan it. Depending on how complex the addition is you can draw on one of the copies. Most surveys are drawn at 1" = 20'. So one inch on your ruler is equal to twenty feet. Depending on how sophisticated your city building permit office thinks they are, this should adaquate. Check with your zoning and HOA rules to be sure you are not encroaching on any minimum setbacks or easements. Anyway, I do hope by now you are enjoying your new room addition.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 23, 2010
At closing, you got a plat of survey when you purchased the home. It's large and drawn in blue in most cases.

You can also pay to have a new survey drawn. This typically costs 225-300 dollars.

It is a necessary element to getting that building permit, so I advise you to find the survey you got at closing when you bought the house, or hire a surveyou and build it into the cost for ground breaking.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris Bowman
Remax Experts
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 14, 2008

I am adding an additional suggestion to the ones below. Many times your lender keeps a copy of your "plat". You could try to give them a call.

I hope this information helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 14, 2008
To follow on Ida's comment, surveys are customarily provided to a buyer, by the seller at the time of closing. If you cannot find the survey from your closing, you might want to look at the "Respa" settlement statement to see if you can determine what survey company prepared yours. (Sellers very often pay the surveyor from sale proceeds). They should be able to print off another copy or update it at a discount to ordering up something from scratch.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 14, 2008
When you purchased your home, you should have gotten a "plat of survey". That's what you need. If you can't find it, call a survey company and they will come out and measure your property. Hope this helps you!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 13, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer