Home Buying in North Port>Question Details

Mike, Home Buyer in Tinley Park, IL

What is the difference in the building code after 2005? Do I need to purchase a home built after 2005?

Asked by Mike, Tinley Park, IL Thu Jun 26, 2008

How much is flood insurance in North Port? Thanks,

Help the community by answering this question:


Flood insurance is not needed in most areas in North Port therefore if you elect to purchase it it is quite reasonable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 28, 2008

Even though flood insurance may not be required in an area, the fact remains that we are talking about Florida where the elevation is very low and seasonal waters can be very high..... our recommendation is to strongly consider the flood insurance option.

The recent tropical storm is a painful reminder to many central Floridians of the importance of this level of protection.

Best of luck ,
The "Eckler Team"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2008
You might want to check out this website:


The "Eckler Team"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 18, 2008

Flood insurance is quite inexpensive and at this time the annual premium is in the $300 to $400 range.

The "Eckler Team"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 29, 2008

Here's a website that the state uses to compare rates in each area. This will give you a general idea but you would still need to speak with an insurance agent:

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 27, 2008
Thy viewing this site:


The difference between the building codes of 2004-2008 are minor compared to those of pre-1993. Basically building codes were not updated until after Hurricane Andrea in 1993 and have been updated regulaly since then. Thus, the newer the home, in theory, the better the construction.

Good luck,

The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
I agree with Jim - the code is revised constantly. That should not limit you from buying older construction.

Make sure you don't pick a property because it is code compliant. I am an architect and in my opinion, older homes are generally built much better than new construction (and that's why the code has to change, to make sure contractors follow minimal requirements).

In Miami there are a number of older neighborhood where no home will be built to today's code, and as long as you educate yourself on what that means, you can make minor changes where it's necessary (like GFCI outlets in kitchens and bathrooms near the sink, or hurricane shutters and/or hurricane impact windows).

Inspectors are not regulated in the State of Florida, so just make sure you work with someone that comes well recommended.
If you are looking at newer construction, one way to figure out quality is to look at properties built by the same contractor/developer and see how they look after years of construction and how they are "weathering".
hope that helps,
Web Reference: http://www.miamism.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
Remember codes change every year. The big code change was prior to 05'. What is most important is to conduct a thorough home inspection with a very reputable inspector. They will check foundation and all aspects of construction. You can certainly ask for a credit from the seller to bring things up to code. The closer you are to the water, for example east or west of SR 75 will affect your insurance costs as well. Remember to also check if the home you are considering is in a V zone. Which will require you to pay for added WIND insurance.

Visit my website at http://www.jimsoda.com and our blog!

Jim Soda
Jim Soda Group
Prudential Palms Realty
Cell: 941.809-7759
Fax: 941.923.0834
Web: http://www.jimsoda.com
Blog: http://randyhrealtor.blogspot.com/
Web Reference: http://www.jimsoda.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
Hi Mark,

There are very few areas in North port that require flood insurance. So it is not required in most areas. The flood zones run right along the Myakkahatchee River. My home owners insurance for a home built in 2003, 2127 under air and no pool is $737 per year. Olympus Insurance has some of the best rates for newer homes.

Another thing you need to know is that the state of Florida is offering discounts if you get a wind mitigation report done. They usually run around $200. Go to http:// http://www.MySafeFloridaHome.com to apply. This can save you a lot of money on your insurance each year.

Many of the building codes changed in 2002 so I would recommend looking at homes that are 2002 or newer. A few other things that you need to be looking at is (which some are hard to do in an Internet search) how far the home is away from a fire hydrant or natural body of water, what kind of roof it has (hip roofs are better), the age of the home, the hurricane protection i.e. shutters.

Hope this helps!

Shannon Moore, Realtor
Re/Max Anchor Realty
North Port/Port Charlotte/Venice
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
Here is a link with several resources for North Port, Florida

Insurance costs have been increasing, shop around!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer