Market Conditions in 90041>Question Details

John Goldfarb, Home Buyer in Eagle Rock, CA

Is there a firm that can help one who bought near the peak to reduce his property tax bill in L.A. County?

Asked by John Goldfarb, Eagle Rock, CA Wed Aug 27, 2008

Purchased in June 2007 in Eagle Rock: a 1395 sf home for $660,000

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi John, as mentioned before you don't need to pay anyone to do that. I just did it myself for a property I own that went from 700k to 295k. (Silver Lining of this cloud-much lower property tax bills!) All they will require you to do is fill out a form which is found here. you'll have to mention two comps of about the same building size which you can get off Trulia, Zillow, Redfin, or I can email to you. When you file the form, you should simultaneously file a request for appeal because if they don't give you the figure you want, you'll have to go downtown to Kenneth Hall and go before the appeals board with your comps. It sounds much worse than it is, I had to appeal and it took all of three minutes. The reason you file for appeal from the onset of your request is because the LA county bureaucracy is very slow moving and if you wait to file for appeal until after you get back your value, it will take another few months. If I can be of any more assistance, just email me. Good luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 12, 2010
I agree with the majority that you do it on your own or better yet with the assistance of your Realtor who can supply you true facts to support your request.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 11, 2010
The assessor's office has already re-valued a large number of homes purchased 2005 and after. I would call the Assessor's office and ask them if yours was one. It should have been.

I have a referral if you need one, she does primarily corporate tax appeals. Call the assessor first. See the link below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 28, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA

I disagree with the prior answers as that is what the assessors want you to do.... go it alone..... so you are stuck with there results if they disagree. As a state licensed appraiser also I have provided the requirements to assist in getting your tax bill reduced for many clients and sending a report attached certified to the assessors with provided information does in fact get thre attention.

I have done property reassessments for clients and suggest submitting an appraisal along with the required form to the assessors office. I also send it certified which puts them on notice you mean business and you have proven your case. I am a state licensed appraiser and we have done this before, but its up to you to prove, not the assessors. Most people give up and don't take this seriously, which is what they hope most people do. Feel free to call or email me your address and I will let you know what I see the taxes should be and what I could provide.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 28, 2008
Hi John

You do not need a firm or even a professional appraiser to do this. Just get comparable sales together & follow the instructions on the Tax Assessor's site; forms are available on site too.

Good Luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 27, 2008
Hi John,

You don't need a firm to try to reduce your bill what you need is a limited reappraisal for reassessment of your tax liability. A reputable, licensed Appraiser can help you with the appraisal and the form necessary to petition to have your tax liability is available through the County of Los Angeles Property Tax Assessors Office Click on the link at right to download the form.

If you would like a referral to a reputable appraiser who can do the limited Appraisal for you I would be happy to suggest that you give Lonn Apfel a call at 909-989-9000 Pager: 909-399-6028. He has been a licensed appraiser for upwards of 20 years and is also a licensed Real Estate Broker (honest as the day is long, and one heck of a nice guy :-). Tell him Tisza recommended you give him a call.

I hope that helps. Take care and have a great day!

Tisza Major-Posner, Realtor, IVPG Realty (909) 837-8922
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 27, 2008
Hello John,

You can do it yourself. You just need to complete the form Decline of Value. This is available at the County Assessor's site. You will just need to provide two comparable sales as clos to January 1,2008 as possible and no later than March 31,2008. You can probably find recent sales on sites such as Zillow or Trulia. If you need a couple comps you can email me directly.


Monique Carrabba
The Reavis Group Keller Williams Wilshire
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 27, 2008
Hi John,
Actually you can do that yourself. Please visit this site and they got the forms for you to fill out and ask for reassessment of your property to lower your property tax. Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 27, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer