We are a full service property management firm in Ventura County. We currently have 3 River Park homes available for lease:
3116 Ventura Rd: 2BR + 2.5BA townhome asking $1850 (no action)
Thames River: 3BR + 2 Bath detached home asking $2395 (not many calls)
Flathead River St: 3BR + 3 Bath townhome asking $2100 (lots of interest, but no takers.)
I believe the listing we have on Flathead River St is a similiar model to the one in question. We originally had it posted at $1950/mo and had tons of action...the owner decided to pump it up to $2100 because they thought we had listed it to low...now it has been sitting for 2 months. Obviously, had we rented it at $1950, they would not have had a vacancy for two extra months. It pays to price it correctly at the beginning.
As a seasoned investor myself, I would recommend you avoid the unstable Riverpark area of Oxnard for your long-term retirement plan for several reasons:
1) There is a 20-year Mello-Roos tax in that community
2) There are low-income housing units set aside through the City of Oxnard
3) There is already several bank-owned properties in the development
4) There are a lot of units still for sale and many which they have not yet completed (since the financing converts for the builder to a mortgage)
5) The local real estate market is still trending down and is predicted by experts (incl. C.A.R.) to have downward pressures from loans resetting thorough the year 2012.
Since you asked a very good **question, I will proceed to answer it, without the market spin :-)
** Riverpark leases range from $2000-2400/month, based on data from the local MLS:
** 20 Homes in the Riverpark Tract are listed here for your review:
BONUS: Here's a link below for a "Market Snapshot" of Homes in the Area, including maps, community and school information.
Might I suggest you develop a trusting relationship with an experienced local realtor that recognizes, understands and respects your long-term investment goals? I have completed about a dozen 1031 Tax deferred exchanges and have access to a great tax guy as well. BTW: Our family used to live nearby you in Venice, Hawthorne and near La Cienega/LA Tijera. Good luck in planning for your families future.