Foreclosure in Chicago>Question Details

Dave, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Chicago 3-flat rehab, permit questions, possible condo conversion?

Asked by Dave, Chicago, IL Mon Dec 1, 2008

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3-flat in need of renovation.I was wondering how long/frustrating the permit process was for this type of project in the City of Chicago. Here are some details on the property:

3 flat brick, electrical/plumbing/interior framing completed. There were plans to convert to condos previously, but I guess the developer ran into problems, so this property was on hold until it went into foreclosure. It's now and REO.

The building has a few code violations already. Some of the electrical and plumbing were done without permits before, so they need to be redone.

My plan is to fix it up and possibly rent it, or convert to condos. I know the condo market is a lot softer now, but the number seem to make sense. However I don't know much about the condo conversion process. I'm looking into getting an experienced lawyer. How much would his fees be for this type of project? Could someone give me a rough breakdown of the conversion process? Zoning is RS-3 btw.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hey Dave,

Sorry so long to get back to your question.

It sounds to me like you've got a pretty good deal in the works. A couple of things about working with the city.

Check to see what permits, if any, are on file for this property. If they were undertaking a large scale renovation, it's unlikely they didn't have any permits issued. The again.. it has happened. You can check on the permit history at any satellite office for dept of buildings. You will want to call ahead and find out when they have "walk-in" hours to sit down with a plan reviewer to discuss.

Another way to go, and I will recommend this as the best way to go, is to get an architect involved. You will likely need to get one involved anyway to get permits for an extensive renovation. You can discuss your zoning questions with the architect and get answers that other will not be as well versed on. Usually an architect will be glad to give you a fixed price contract for the drawings, which you will need for the permit (you may not have to do the plumbing and the electrical over again if their able to be brought up to code and you can get the city to approve the plans your architect draws, with existing plumbing and electric in mind). Architect's often offer expediting for your permits. If time is crucial, then pay for the expediting. If you have time and want to save money, you can expedite the plans yourself.

As far as zoning is concerned, I agree with Scott and that having the local political muscle behind you is helpful. I will add that the city has very clearly defined zoning districts and that getting a variance can be very costly. It is likely, that if what existed was a 3 flat, and you want to put a 3 flat back together, zoning will not be heavily involved. If you are adding units or square footage, including a basement, zoning is likely to be involved. How complicated it will be is a matter of what's there, what permits have already been issued, and the exact zoning and the survey. An architect can help you with a feasability study to determine home adding sq.ft. or units will be viewed.

Conversion is a matter for an experienced attorney or consulting firm. It is less complex for a three unit building vs. a six, though.

When recruiting help with the process, experience counts. The city would like to see you succeed in rebuilding a foreclosed building, and in this economy, they will be grateful for the permit $$$. You will likely need expert advice, so get it before you can't walk away from the deal.

Best of Luck. You can contact me for referrals. I know lots of good builders and architects.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 4, 2008
Re-zoning is a matter of making good friends with your alderman and proving there's justification for your project- it is done all the time.

The permits are a way of life. Again, your alderman will be a tremendous help on this and will help you speed up the process if he's on your side.

I can happily recommend an attorney to you but I am not comfortable posting his information in a public forum without permission.

I'm an experienced agent who has helped numerous builders- including 2005 Chicago Builder of the Year Foreit Properties- though every step of the process up until they're all leased out or sold. Contact me privately more for information but I know I can help you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 1, 2008

This is a bit dated but I only just saw this post. You have no idea how your simple phrase ".. a way of life" sounds so profound and sums up everything that one needs to understand. Sometimes, you don't have to fight the system or try to break the rules. It is just a way of life......

Thanks so much. Just made my entire week!
Flag Mon Feb 9, 2015
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer