Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

York : Real Estate Advice

  • All228
  • Local Info28
  • Home Buying61
  • Home Selling19
  • Market Conditions8

Activity 174
Fri May 3, 2013
Trevor Curran answered:
Good afternoon Veronica,

We see many credit reports with low credit scores (anything less than 620), and often many scores in the 500's. This is BAD credit. If you are one of the folks affected by this terrible economy, you have a low credit score and you have a dream of buying a home, here's some simple advice for you.

It is unlikely you could be approved for mortgage financing with that credit score at this time.

Beware of any mortgage professionals promising you an approval with such a low score. Wait on buying a home. I recommend you take the time to resolve your credit issues.

First, settle any outstanding debt. If you owe money on collection accounts, charge-offs and/or judgments, make payment arrangements and get these accounts paid promptly.

Next, begin rebuilding your credit. If you have current accounts with good payment histories, or even some previous late-payment-blemishes, make sure you continue to pay those accounts on time. If you do not have any existing credit accounts then you'll need to establish several in order to create a viable credit history.

I have found that CONSUMER ACTION is an excellent resource for objective advice on all things credit related. You'll find free and sincere advice on everything from settling collection accounts to rebuilding credit to building credit from scratch on their website.

Beware of anyone offering to "repair" your credit! The Federal Trade Commission issued a stern warning last year that such offers are scams. Find more from the FTC HERE.

The best way to buy a home is to have a decent credit history combined with sufficient Income and Assets for a home purchase.

The best way to have a decent credit history is to settle negative outstanding obligations and pay all your bills on time for at least two years.

Trevor Curran
NMLS #40140

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 20, 2013
Kenneth Gerrick answered:
Working with a Realtor, I would look for experience, communication, knowledge and trustworthy. A good Realtor would be one who stays on top of the transation. Looking for a Realtor check web site: ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 26, 2013
Susan Bordy asked:
This question was asked from this property:…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 16, 2013
Sharon Harris answered:
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 12, 2013
Sharon Harris answered:
Sounds like your on the Move! There are many homes that would suit your needs and finf=ding one would be easy. The key to the whole thing is financing. There are differant financing options and it helps to know what they are before looking.
One option is USDA a loan that will aloow you to finance 100% of the home. You can even add in closing costs if the homes apprasial will cover the cost of the home and the closing costs. This is a really nice loan program and it is based on income and debt ratios. .
Fha is another way to go you need 3 1/2 of your own money into the deal. it can be cash you have on hand, gift money, from a 401k or stocks. With FHA we can ask the seller to pay closing costs. Up to 6%. ( USDA allows this too)

Fha will go down to a 580 credit score >>you will need 5% down here.
If you get pre approved for a loan then you will know which program you will fit in and what amount money you are approved for. Plus you will need a pre approval letter to write contract on a home anyway.
If you want a list of homes emailed to you in the east York area send me an e mail address to send them too.Happy to send them and then you can review them and pick the ones you like. And from there we can reveiw taxes and see what that home will cost you a month. And get out to go look it it as well.

I work with buyers and buyers only>. I will be happy to help you and know how to get you to settlement without a lot of trouble!

Now if your still thinking rent to own we can explore that too. BUT you are soooooo much better off buying if you can. call or email 7174650661 or Buyers agent with Coldwell Banker.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 12, 2013
Lorie Frey answered:
WE are looking for a ranch type home, pref with a finished basement on at least an acre of ground....We need a big garage also.....thank you.....
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Brenda Riddle answered:
I would advise you to call York City Police. That is not information Realtors® should be giving!
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Dave Hyson answered:
The Pennsylvania State Police maintains a website of crime rates for various jurisdictions in PA.
It does not go to street level, but it's likely the best actual data you can get.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 19, 2013
lhouse asked:
house was foreclosed on. Received the writ. But we have the cash. House isn't listed anywhere that I can find. Do I contact Fannie Mae or their Attorney to make an offer and do I contact…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 28, 2013
Jack Robertson answered:
Remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Ryan Homes offers free finished basements and normally about $10,000 in closing help. It is all a marketing ploy. Nothing is free and if you look at the fine print, the finished part only results in a small space, not the entire level. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Ruth and Perry Mistry answered:
Hi Phyllis

The seller disclosure statement should have included this repairs.

Now it becomes an issue whether you have a Home Warranty or a warranty on the motor
from the manufacturer.

Otherwise you will have to collect in small claims.

You can also talk to your Realtor who helped you buy the home.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Sharron Minnich answered:
John is correct with his info and I want to add another thing, you also need to qualify financially with USDA. They have income limits according to how many are in your household. So first you need to qualify and make sure you don't make too much money and not all lenders can do a USDA loan. Wells Fargo is one that does and I have sold several USDA homes since I have been in business. Just be careful with the companies that say "bad credit okay" and "we will finance" on some of the houses for sale in York Co. They charge really high rates and if you miss a payment, they take the house back and you lose all the money you have invested. Get a good buyer's agent and they can help you with finding the home that qualifies and finding the lender you can trust. Contact me and I would be happy to help you. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 5, 2012
Alan May answered:
Okay... let's answer the exact question you asked. "are you obligated to use the listing agent, if they showed you the house...?"

No... you're not obligated to use the listing agent (unless, as others have pointed out, they got you to sign an exclusive buyer's agreement when they showed it to you).

This is one of those instances where you, as the consumer, are allowed to use whomever you want. If you want to hire a new buyer's agent, and bring them to the property... you are allowed to use them.

Now... it does complicate things. Procuring cause, might mean that the listing agent is entitled to a portion of any commission that is due the buyer's agent. But that's not a problem you should worry about... tell your buyer's agent the situation... and let them work that out together. What happens regarding the commission, isn't something that should burden you.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 10, 2012
Brian Raines answered:
Hi Mindy!
Properties like you describe in this area range between $1000 and $1500. I would recommend you call Dave Parlett in our Jack Gaughen Realter ERA office at 1499 S. Queen St., York, PA 17403. He specialty is rental management and if there is a place like available, he would know about it. Our office number is (717) 854-9242. Tell him I told you to call. All the best, Brian Raines, Realtor/Appriser. (I hope this helps you!) ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jun 1, 2012
Wes asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 1, 2012
Russ Malehorn answered:

I can't help you
I do not handle rentals for our company just sales.
I wish u good luck
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri May 25, 2012
Alan May answered:
Ask the landlord if they'd consider having the place "professionally cleaned" when you take possession, and you'll have the place "professionally cleaned" using the same vendor, when you leave. Including any carpeting... (due to allergens, and potential "mistakes" that cats like to make)...

along with a reasonable 'pet deposit'. That could go a long way to alleviating a landlord's concerns about you and your cat.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search Advice