Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in Yolo County : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 14
Mon Aug 22, 2016
Well first off, there are some things, you need to put up a good faith deposit and pay for an appraisal and for home inspections.
What you could do is sell the house to your wife's siblings and then lease back for 2-3 months while you buy your house. Make sure you know what you can buy and what home prices are in your area. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 28, 2016
stella- vanderpool asked:
Thu Jan 14, 2016
Scott Godzyk answered:
It goes to whose name is on the deed minus any mortgage payoff you may have,
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 4, 2015
Cindy Davis answered:
This is a question for an accountant.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 28, 2014
Jason Walter answered:
This is a very common question and for good reason because you don't want your house to be listed online for less than it's current market value, right? However, the online estimates are absolutely not an accurate determination of home value. Rather, they are a general estimate because it's an automated system. There's no way for anyone to place a value on your home without actually viewing the inside themselves. In general, home prices have increased about 30% in Sacramento County within the last year. If you want to know the value of your home you can get it appraised or you can ask a local Realtor. Hope that helps! ~~Thanks, Jason Walter, CPA, Realtor ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Jaime Becker answered:

I just came across your question and wanted to see if you were able to get everything handled? If you still need help, let me know. I have both experience in the area as well as probate and or trusts sales.

You can contact me if you still need help.


Jaime Becker
Lyon Real Estate
Off: 916-484-3610
Cell: 916-715-7454
BRE# 01737783
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Sally Grenier answered:
Key question -- is your home listed for sale with a Realtor? If it's in the MLS, and your agent entered the incorrect info, then he/she needs to correct it.

But if it's not for sale, and If you're just looking at public records, then you have to take that up with your county assessor's office. But watch out -- if there's an increase in your SF, then it'is going to increase your taxes! So, I would seriously consider how bad this relatively minor issue is affecting you personally before you go to great lengths to get something changed. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Austin Najera answered:
Hi Alicia,

I would also be happy to give you my opinion of what can be done to get you the absolute top dollar for your home.
There is a lot involved in preparing and selling a home so it is important that you get the very best person for the job. I would love the chance to throw my hat in the ring!
You can call me at 916-813-7516 or email me at
Talk to you soon.

Austin Najera-Broker Associate
Fusion Real Estate Network
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri May 11, 2012
Perry Palamidessi answered:
Hi Alicia, if you can hold off you are going to get more money as time marches on. Since mid January my charts started to move north, with some homes up nearly $35,000. I don't see this pattern changing for a couple of years, this whole real estate market fell so far so fast, we were due for a quick uptick in pricing. We are poised to see a nice run thru out the rest of the year, so if your situation permits, hang in there, and enjoy the ride.
Alicia I have lived in West Sacramento my whole life and have sold more homes in the last 11 years than anyone. I think one of the reasoins for this was I told people the truth about their situation, and it seems you are in no hurry. We all took a beating in the last 4 years, let the market catch up a little...we are just getting started
Perry Palamidessi 425-1270
Exclusive Realty
1102 Jefferson Blvd.
West Sacramento
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 28, 2011
John Souerbry answered:
Linda is right. There are things you can control (price, condition) and things you can't control (location, comparable properties). Focus on what is in your control. Selling a home is a competition between your property and the one for sale down the block. Look at your property objectively and make it competitive.
Unless you're a real estate pro, get a pro to help you (read "The Richest Man in Babylon").
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 5, 2009
Ann Cook answered:
Hi Wendy,

I'm not an attorney but I do a lot of reading. You should go to an real estate and tax attorney on this What I do know is CA is a non judicial state which means that if the home is foreclosed on the bank cannot come after you because they've gotten the house back from you. However, if you have not lived in this house as your pirmary residence you'll face a tax on the loss the bank suffers. They'll 1099 you for their loss and you'll have to pay taxes on it. The only way you'll get out of this is if you have lived in the house as your primary residence, file bankruptcy or you can verify with the IRS you are financially insolvent. There was a law signed into effect by G,Bush jr in 2007 under the debt foregiveness act that allows the owner occupied home owner who loses their house to foreclosure to not be penalized by being taxed on the loss of the bank. This law is a sunset law that expires in either 2009 or 2012. You can go the IRS's website and look up debt foregiveness. It does not appy to 2nd homes. If this home was used as a rental at all during your ownership be prepared to pay taxes on the depreciation you claimed on your taxes against the house. Again, I'm not an attorney but I read a lot. Perhaps you may want to contact your bank to see if they're willing to do a loan modification (be careful about the terms of the loan mod if you get one because while CA is not a judicial state, with the right language in a loan modification re your future default on the loan the lender could alter your rights with your agrrement). One thing, if the home is your primary residence, if you have an Equity Line of Credit (ELOC) on the loan, if the value of the house has dropped below the balance you owe on the ELOC the ELOC is now an unsecured loan because there is no longer any equity securing the loan; but I'm sure there is a little more tied to this than my simple explanation. A bankruptcy attorney can advise you on this (I've never filed bankruptcy). I've been told that some bankruptcy judges have eliminated ELOC's all together and treated them like any other unsecured debt. Again, I am not an attorney, I just read a lot. Now I may be misunderstanding everything I've read out of context and without reference to connective laws that affect what I've read, but I encourage you to please talk with an attorney. Please check out IRS.Gov and CA Assembly BIll SB1137. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 15, 2008
Bill Schmiett answered:
you should look at your statement closely to see if the buyers side of the escrow debits them for the mortgage payment of 5 days. You should have had an offset for credit for 25 days of mortgage interest also.

Your escrow officer should be able to answer this question for you.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 27, 2007
Bruce Lynn answered:
There is demand. Most I'd think is at the request of Realtors. They see the difference it makes. Sellers are less knowledgable about what it takes to sell and will only hire the stager at the request of the Realtor. There may be some savy sellers out there, but I'd say less are in tune or networked enough to know about stagers or the process to hire one. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Search Advice