Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Foreclosure in Westland : Real Estate Advice

  • All177
  • Local Info9
  • Home Buying64
  • Home Selling5
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 16
Mon Apr 25, 2016
They won't give you an extension as they would have to re-file; however, these often become delayed for legal reasons. Get your belongings that you don't immediately need into a POD or something like Pack Rat storage container as you need to be ready if the date is hard and fast. Contact your lender and servicer, follow the court case with your county website and recorder office ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 20, 2014
Crystal Oxendine answered:
Hello! I did perform a search in the Westland area for homes $20000 and under. I came up with seven results. If you would like to take a look at them contact me with an email address and I will send them right over. My phone number is 248-414-1236 and my email is ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 29, 2013
Andy Hargreaves answered:
Not sure which house you're referring to.
See if you can link it so we can help, or reply to me with an address so I can assist.

0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Colleen answered:
Send me an email at
Include your full name and address of the house that was sold at sheriff sale.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 4, 2013
You can check with a local realtor to see if the house has been sold in a sheriffs sale. If it has not your realtor can find out what the lenders conditions are to purchase the home. Most likely you will need get preapproved to make an offer on the home once is becomes listed for sale. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Kathy Persha answered:
If the home has a sheriff's deed on it, that does mean the sheriff's sale (also known as foreclosure sale) has taken place. The homeowners have a 6-month redemption period in which they redeem the house for the amount it sold for at sheriff's sale plus interest or sell the house. If they do nothing during this six month redemption period, then at the end of the six months, they must vacate the house and it becomes a bank-owned property.

At this point, the bank would assign it to an REO agent. That is an agent who deals with bank-owned properties. That agent would then list the home and sell it. If the sheriff's sale occured in July, the redemption period probably expired in January. If the bank is going to put the house back on the market, I would expect to see it listed sometime between now and April. However, many times the lender does not list the house right away. They are currently sitting on properties that they foreclosed on three and four years ago and have not put them back on the market. If you would like more information or a list of similar properties in the area that are on the market, feel free to call or email me.

Kathy Persha, Realtor
Nextage Advanced Realty
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Kathy Persha answered:
Hello Keebler,

I assume what you mean by auction is the foreclosure sale, otherwise known as the sheriff's sale. What happens at the sheriff's sale is that the lender will bid some amount on the property. About 65% of the time, they will bid the entire amount of the principal portion of the mortgage plus back payments, legal costs and late fees. The other 35% of the time, they will bid less than what is owed. This is called an underbid. When the lender bids less, that is when other bidders can actually outbid the lender and win the bid. But the winning bidder has to pay cash at the time of their bid. There are no mortgages allowed.

If you are not on the mortgage, then you are not responsible for paying the mortgage. Are you on the title? After the sheriff's sale, there is a 6-month redemption period. You can still continue to live in the house during this redemption period. Because you have not provided all information in your question, it is impossible to say what all your options are. If you would like more information, visit my one of my websites at : or You may also call me at 248-930-0198 to discuss your options. You need to either speak to an attorney or an agent who understands what is going on with the property.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 28, 2010
Anne Zielke answered:
I am not certain anyone answered the home owner's insurance. The home is your respondsibility so keeping up on your insurance is also a good idea. The banks will sometimes get insurance "for you" at an crazy amount. The last thing you need is more money being added to your account. Some cities also have ordinances concerning "abandon properties" you may want to look into that also. If it looks like no one is living there the city will contact you. Another headache. I do free personal short sale consultations, if you are interested give me a call, 743-732-5436. I have found so many people don't understand the process, what rights they have and what rights the bank have. It's the wild west. Good Luck,
Anne Zielke
Remerica United
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 10, 2010
Nancy Gray answered:
Jim. I would suggest that you seek the advise of an attorney. Certainly you should reach out to your lender and try to negotiate a loan modification. President Obama's "Affordable Housing Plan" which does include FHA loans would allow you to do a loan modification. Call the lender and ask for the loan modification department and talk to a counselor. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 18, 2009
Perry Henderson answered:
You need to see this video on buying a short sale versus a foreclosure.... It'll answer some of your questions and maybe make you feel a little more normal...

Short Sales don't always mean a good deal...
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 15, 2009
ian cockburn answered:
A foreclosed property can take a toll on a need a bulldog of a Buyers agent to keep things moving smoothly and in your direction.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 30, 2009
Sonya Loose answered:
Tanhunter, if the Sheriffs Sale has occured you are now in Redemption Period. You still have the right to redeem your house if you pay the entire amount owed plus legal fees and other penalites. If you have 2.99 acres of less you have 6 months to redeem...3 or more acres you have 12 months. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 22, 2009
blaison samuel answered:
I dont think you can refinance but check with your lender or a good mortgage broker, may be they can help for loan modification. If you cannot get loan modification or refinance then you have to do short sale to avoid foreclosure. You have mentioned that you are already 6 months behind so take action now, talk to the lender for modifcation or do short sale.

Blaison Samuel
Certified Short Sale Specialist
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 16, 2008
LYNN Afton answered:
Diane, you may be interested in reading the Michigan law relating to redemption of real estate, (click on link below) part of which states: (Section 600.6062)
(2) Redemption may be made by any of the following:
(c) By any grantee of the person who acquires an absolute title by deed, sale under mortgage, or under an execution, or by any other means, to the premises sold or to any lot, tract, parcel, or portion which is separately sold.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 17, 2007
Connie answered:
You need professional advise. I know enough to be dangerous about any deductions you've taken against your home, what your basis might be, etc. Obviously you will not be experiencing a capital gain on your sale but there could be tax deductions you need to know about. Some CPA's will give a bit of free advise but not too much. Renting could be a good choice or lease purchase for the period of time you could afford to have your home tied up and not being able to buy another home without selling this one. I feel your pain! Connie

I would be curious about your Taxable value, current market stats and what your agent is doing to agressively market and sell your home rather than reduce reduce reduce!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Foreclosure in Westland Zip Codes