I am about to sell our home. For buyers like you, I am developing the following strategy. I will show the home for a month, with all the upgrades. If it doesn't sell, or people keep demanding a lower price that is what homes were selling for 7 years ago, I will do the following:
1. Take out all the expensive light fixtures I bought and replace them will the el cheapo ones that cost 10 dollars (like what ALL the other houses around here have).
2. Take out all the kohler fixtures in the house AND the steam pump for the shower unit. I will replace these with the 10 dollar plastic fixtures that were supposed to come with the house originally.
3. Take out the compression heat pump water heater, and replace it with a standard 5000 electric heater.
4. Take out the stainless steel appliances, and replace them with plain white el cheapo ones.
5. Replace all the electrical outlet covers and door knobs with the orginal 5 dollar fake gold plate ones and plastic ones.
Unfortunately I can't take the double sided privacy fence, the two zone air conditioner, the wood floors (everyone else has WHITE carpet), The stone floor (everyone else has vinyl), AND the banister that makes the office up stairs open to the living room.
So yeah, you can have it for 10,000 cheaper, and you'll get a cheaper house. Lastly, we are not in a recession anymore.