Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Waterloo : Real Estate Advice

  • All28
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying12
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 14
Andres Andres, Home Buyer in Iowa City, IA
Thu May 21, 2015
Andres Andres asked:
Christopher…, Real Estate Pro in Tarrytown, NY
Tue Jan 13, 2015
Christopher Pagli answered:
A broker will shop for the best rate and a mortgage banker will do the same or have the ability to fund the loan within. Shop a round a little.

0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Lee Harding, Real Estate Pro in Sioux Falls SD 57108,...
Sat Jul 26, 2014
Lee Harding answered:
If your still looking I can refer you to a Keller Williams Realty agent in your area.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Matthew Wike…, Real Estate Pro in GRUNDY CENTER, IA
Fri Jul 11, 2014
Matthew Wikert answered:
The market definitley has been very good! Depends also on the type of property you are looking for:)
daveue is there anything I can help you find? I would be happy to help. Interest rates are still very attractive and home prices have become more reasonable. Please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance. Good Luck! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Matthew Wike…, Real Estate Pro in GRUNDY CENTER, IA
Fri Jul 11, 2014
Matthew Wikert answered:
Agree with Ellie Jo
if this is a real estate transaction you need to deal with a licensed realtor, or have an attorney of your choice assist you. You can always do transaction by yourself, but having an attorney or licensed realtor will make the transaction clean! You dont want any mistakes on legal documents! Using a professional will ultimately save you time and money. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Matthew Wike…, Real Estate Pro in GRUNDY CENTER, IA
Fri Jul 11, 2014
Matthew Wikert answered:
I agree with Keith, another good thing to consider is how to go about rebuilding your credit.
You can google companies that will assist you to help you do that.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Don Tepper answered:
There are seldom such lists. A Realtor can search listings and see if any property is listed that way. Or there are other ways of searching. See my blog at The type of seller you're looking for is the same in a contract for deed and a lease-option.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Carole Deeds,  in Waterloo, IA
Sat Mar 26, 2011
Carole Deeds answered:
I'm assuming you are referring to a a land contract where the seller basically holds the mortgage on the property and collects principal, interest, taxes and insurance much like a bank. These typically are at least 10% down and somewhat higher interest rate. If you default on your payments, the seller will foreclose.

There are minimal properties for sale offering the possibility of a land contract. These can be found occasionally on the local multiple listing service. You could also check For Sale by Owner and other private listings.

First, you need to find a reliable realtor. They may also be able to represent you as a Buyer's Agent with FSBOs or private sales.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Anna M Brocco, Real Estate Pro in Williston Park, NY
Fri Mar 25, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Why not consider working with an agent of your own; he/she can provide you with suitable listings, keep you updated as new listings arrive on the market, provide any necessary information, schedule showings, etc.; be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wordlv, Home Buyer in Cedar Rapids, IA
Fri Jul 10, 2009
Wordlv answered:
Yes, I dont know why this is so hard for people to answer. Per the IRS land contracts and contract for deeds are a form of financing. As long as the buyer recieves the benefits and the burdens of home ownership(i.e. property tax and intrest witeoff). The IRS has published a new note on this topic- July 2nd,2009 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Andrew Wenth…, Home Buyer in Waterloo, IA
Fri Jan 30, 2009
Andrew Wenthold asked:
and how much they would be and how much down i would have to come up with and do you have anymore homes for around 10.000 to 20.000 if so would you send me the pics of the homes thank you
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tyler Osby, Real Estate Pro in Urbandale, IA
Thu Aug 21, 2008
Tyler Osby answered:
Hey Kristi!

I'm going to agree with Steve on this one. Your earnest money is a definite loss. Other costs could come up.

Depending on your reasons for 'backing out' you may have a valid reason to get out of the contract. I'm not sure if something came up with the inspection.. something else?

Without knowing more about the specific circumstances, it's a tough call.

If you need legal counsel, I can connect you with someone.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Thanks again,

Tyler Osby
Certified Mortgage Planner
Four Legacies Mortgage
515-991-7102 - Office
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Jeff and Gin…, Real Estate Pro in Vero Beach, FL
Fri Aug 1, 2008
Jeff and Ginny Mitchell answered:
Talk to your Realtor and read your contract. Most Purchase and Sale Agreements require the seller to continue to maintain the property in the same condition as when you purchased. I

Furthermore, most states require that if there were existing conditions in the home that were not visible, the sellers and the seller's agent should have disclosed that information. Ask your Realtor to call the listing Realtor to resolve these problems.

If there are no Realtors involved, we are not attorneys and cannot provide legal advice, but we suggest you might want to contact the seller calmly and tell give them the list of problems and the expected costs to repair. If they do not respond, you may want to consult an attorney. This cost of the repairs may or may not warrant this action. Of course, if you win the legal action, whoever wins generally pays the legal fees. Hopefully the seller would have the funds to do so if they lose. You could also try Small Claims Court.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice
Home Buying in Waterloo Zip Codes