Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Walnut Creek : Real Estate Advice

  • All242
  • Local Info13
  • Home Buying105
  • Home Selling9
  • Market Conditions6

Activity 153
James Collins, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
James Collins answered:
Anything you sign you should have a copy of. If you do not have a copy, get one.
That way it can be determined what you signed. There are many forms signed when buying or selling a home and when making an offer you will be required to sign an agency agreement. This agency agreement is only to acknowledge that you're being represented by this agent for this offer.

You may in fact have no obligation to work with this agent again.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Margaret Pri…, Real Estate Pro in Lafayette, CA
Thu Jul 10, 2014
Margaret Price answered:
Rossmoor HOA fees, commonly called the "coupon," cover different things depending on whether the property is a condo or a co-operative unit. The "Mutuals" are the Homeowners Association.

The coupon for the co-operative unit covers maintenance of the exterior of the buildings, landscaping, water, garbage, basic cable TV, use of the amenities (such as the tennis courts, pools, fitness center, clubhouse rooms, movie theater etc) and, if the appliances are original to the unit (or have been replaced and maintained by the Mutual) the Mutual will maintain these appliances. In addition, the monthly "coupon" also includes a charge of 1/12 of the property taxes. Also of consideration, Co-op Mutuals have asset and income requirements that must be met in order to purchase a co-op.

If the property is a condominium, the exterior maintenance of the buildings, landscaping, water, garbage, basic cable TV, and use of the amenities is covered by coupon paid to the Mutual. The coupon does not cover the maintenance of appliances, furnace, or water heater. Individual property taxes are not included in the coupon. Condominiums may also be eligible for Reverse Mortgages.

These differences can make it difficult to compare the purchase of a Rossmoor co-op and a Rossmoor condo. This is where an experienced agent who sells frequently in Rossmoor can help you. The agent must keep up to date with changes in the dozens of Mutuals, each with their own policies and procedures.

It is always best to verify what is covered by the HOA fees in any condo or co-op complex you are considering--there is no consistency and Rossmoor is no exception.

I hope you consider the wonderful lifestyle offered by Rossmoor to active, age 55+ adults!

Margaret Price
CalBRE 01888827
... more
1 vote 4 answers Share Flag
Margaret Pri…, Real Estate Pro in Lafayette, CA
Thu Jul 10, 2014
Margaret Price answered:
Rossmoor Co--Ops have certain advantages in what is covered by the HOA fees over what is covered by condo fees. Remember, too, that the property tax is included in the so-called "Coupon" or HOA fees for the Co-Ops but the condominium coupon does not include property taxes. There is much to consider other than sales price when looking at Rossmoor! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Kim Benedict, Real Estate Pro in Overland Park, KS
Sun May 11, 2014
Kim Benedict answered:
Nope there isn't. if you stop paying them you can be foreclosed on by the HOA for lack of payment... some places are higher then others just depends on where you live... Ive seen them from 200.00 a month on up to 1100.00 a month! If you have no income and can't pay it either borrow it, or sell so you don't lose to foreclosure... I know its not an easy choice yet its better then losing it and the money invested. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Kim Benedict, Real Estate Pro in Overland Park, KS
Sun May 11, 2014
Kim Benedict answered:
When there is a foreclosed property the bank owns it because the mortgage holder couldn't make payments, and was unable to lease back the property from the bank till they sold it.

Yes they can be bought as it's a matter of finding a buyer that is willing to go through the painful process with the bank to get the debit from the former owner settled and the new want to be buyer a good price, then being able to fix the abandoned property to where its in a livable state again... Most buyers don't want the hassle or agents discourage the buyers as it is a long and tedious process for everyone to go through, and they can get another home that is less work and a better guarantee that it will close with little problems. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Zachary Knapp, Real Estate Pro in Danville, CA
Fri Apr 11, 2014
Zachary Knapp answered:
Cathlene it is simple supply an demand. In most other states for everyone home buyer there are 5 to 7 homes available, here in California the ratio is 1.1 homes per buyer. With the high demand we have currently, low supply & also take into account how much money the banks have lost over this home being vacant & you can see why a bank will not reduce the price on a foreclosed home especially with high demand, low inventory. Feel free to give me a call if you would like, I'm a short sale foreclosure resource certified, also a platinum equator certified short sale and foreclosure agent & i also work for the banks as a BPO agent & foreclosure agent when the homes are foreclosed. Im a 2nd generations realtor that has been in real estate for over 10 years now. My number is (925) 389-8920 and if you have anymore questions just call me. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Simon Watson, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Thu Apr 3, 2014
Simon Watson answered:
Simon Watson, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Thu Apr 3, 2014
Simon Watson answered:
Walnut Creek is pretty much safe all over, contact the
local police who should be able to answer any questions or
concerns you may have.


Simon Watson
Keller Williams Realty
(925) 286-7112
(510) 859-4773
BRE 01881304
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tammy Hayes, Real Estate Pro in Port Charlotte, FL
Thu Apr 3, 2014
Tammy Hayes answered:
You want to give enough time for a home inspection and the title company to do the title search. Then it depends on how long the closing agency takes to prepare the closing statement. In general 10 days to 30 days, whatever you write on the contract and the seller is agreeable to.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
The Medford…, Real Estate Pro in Fremont, CA
Thu Mar 13, 2014
The Medford Team answered:
Call the appropriate school officials directly - they are the only ones who can give you an accurate answer.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Robert Spino…, Real Estate Pro in Mill Valley, CA
Fri Feb 28, 2014
Robert Spinosa answered:

Short answer is that 80/15/5, the way you'd want to do it, is not available. Do alternatives exist? Yes.

My best advice is to look at all the options and see how they compare to saving an additional 5% (or obtaining by gift, if possible). If you need help with such research, feel free to get in touch.

Rob Spinosa
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Brian Willin…, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Thu Feb 13, 2014
Brian Willingham answered:
Hi Henry-Wang,

I am an immigration advocate and local real estate agent. Yes, you can buy a home in the US using money your father provides. I'd be happy to speak with you directly if you need help submitting an offer. You can reach me at 925-400-7020 or

There are a couple of pitfalls you should pay close attention to. First, for a cash purchase the funds will need to be in the US in order to close escrow. It can take a few weeks to transfer large sums of money from overseas. Second, you need to be aware of FIRPTA, the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Murphy Team, Real Estate Pro in Portland, ME
Thu Feb 13, 2014
Murphy Team answered:
Yes, you can sign more than 1 Buyer Agency Agreement, but this will put you in a position of possibly owing commissions to both agents.
0 votes 30 answers Share Flag
Zack Heene, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Tue Jan 28, 2014
Zack Heene answered:
I work for J.Rockcliff in Walnut Creek. So call me and I will take care of all your questions and market information about the East bay, Walnut Creek too!
Thank You. Zack Heene
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Vikki Bearman, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Mon Jan 13, 2014
Vikki Bearman answered:
Good Morning Gil. It would be a privilege to work with you. It is also imperative that you work with a team that knows all of the details and nuisances of the VA loan. It really is ALL about the team that you work with in order to successfully come to fruition. I am quite passionate about our vets. I am an Air Force Brat. My father was a career military man. I am a former lender. I am very well versed on the VA programs and affiliated with the best lenders possible. I have references for you should you need them and closed 4 VA deals last year and am working with VA clients right now. I live in Walnut Creek. Please call! ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Julie Lauer, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Tue Jan 7, 2014
Julie Lauer answered:
Hi Mia,

That's a great question. I'd recommend the Tri-Valley area, which includes Dublin and Pleasanton. I recommend these cities in particular because of their superior public transportation options and wonderful communities in which to live and play.

Pleasanton and Dublin are located adjacent to highways 580 and 680, and boast two BART stations. 580 is 20 minutes to Oakland by car, while the BART stations offer excellent commuting along the same route. The ACE train stops at the Fairgrounds in downtown Pleasanton for points south, and Highway 680 runs south towards San Jose. Additionally, carpool lots near 680 ease traffic congestion.

Pleasanton and Dublin are both great communities with terrific schools. Whether owning or renting, you can't go wrong.

I hope this info helps, and if I can assist you further, please let me know!

Best regards,

Julie Lauer
Keller Williams Realty
CA DRE #01418971
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Steve Curtis, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Mon Dec 23, 2013
Steve Curtis answered:
listen to Jackie Giffin below... dues are high but the amenities and services included exceed anything else out there for the active senior.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Pacita Dimac…, Real Estate Pro in Oakland, CA
Tue Nov 26, 2013
Pacita Dimacali answered:
At least one resident must be 55 years of age or older to live in a home in Rossmoor. If the resident travels all the time that may be advantageous to you and the resident to have someone stay home.

Visit their website

And contact them for more detailed information
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Elizabeth Ha…, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Tue Oct 22, 2013
Elizabeth Haslam answered:
Rental and Rossmoor are few and far between. The best resource is the Rossmoor newspaper which comes out every Wednesday. You can access it online at Owners in Rossmoor are restricted to a twelve-month rental period over the length of ownership. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
DeAnn J Simp…, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Mon Sep 23, 2013
DeAnn J Simpson answered:
Yes, of course, if you qualify with terms & conditions of loan financing. I have a team of professional ready to help! With 30+ years in the industry I would welcome the opportunity to assist you! Please call today so we may get started in locating the perfect home for your Mother in Rossmoor!
DeAnn J Simpson #01138722 - Better Homes & Gardens 925/974-7653
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search Advice