Why so much weight on first to answer?

Asked by Kent Palmer, Denver, CO Fri Jan 11, 2008

First to answer gets their name at the top of the thread and Best Answer gets all Caps at the top of the reply? Is that why we get so many hasty and useless first answers? Seems kinda backwards. The best answer falls by the way side while, "I don't know. What area are you looking in?" gets the spotlight?

Answers

10
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jan 11, 2008
boy, Kent... nobody is going to want to be "first answer" on this one...

ooops... d'oh!
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jan 11, 2008
I'm not really sure why "first to answer" is noted at all... first to answer seems pretty obvious (scroll down, young man, scroll down!)... and Best Answer, is often noted, before many of the answers appear, and I don't think the original poster can change it, should they determine that one of the later answers is as good or better...

maybe we should have an "honorable mention" category?

Zillow?? Bueller? Bueller?? Bueller???
Trulia Roger, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2008
Well, we wouldn't want Elvis to leave the building just now. :)
Kent Palmer, , Denver, CO
Fri Jan 11, 2008
Emily,

Just a link next to first answer would work fine.
Trulia Roger, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2008
There's also a long tradition of trying to get the first post or answer on sites with threaded exchanges (forums, blogs, slashdot, etc). It's a bit of a nod to the tradition. Hopefully folks don't abuse it and do contribute quality answers that happen to be first.
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2008
Hi Kent,

Great question.

We want users to have a great experience on Trulia Voices and that partly involves receiving an answer to a question in a timely manner. Waiting days or even hours for a question would be painful for users especially when so many internet users have a low attention span and expect immediate results. (I'm citing myself and others I know so patient individuals please don't take offense.)

Promoting first answer also gives credit to those really active Trulia Voices community members, like Elvis, who keep up with recently posted questions.

I do agree that first answer shouldn't be promoted above best answer. We at Trulia agree that a lot more love needs to be shown to those best answers and we are planning to do so. I myself am a huge advocate of this so I'll keep you guys posted when these changes come about.

If you guys have specific ideas for features you think will give best answer the attention it deserves please share them with us. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so keep bugging us about this.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Kent Palmer, , Denver, CO
Fri Jan 11, 2008
Thanks Elv!s.

I needed to smile.

Realtyexec,
Just like to keep the community thinking and improving. My point was that when somebody comes across a question that is of interest to them, it would be nice to see the most relevant answer highlighted at the top of the thread, not the first.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Jan 11, 2008
I generally find the first answers to be hasty, but not useless. And, all too often, questions are posted that are missing essential details.

Good question, though.
Infinity Rea…, , Saratoga, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2008
Does it Really matter at this point. There are plenty of unanswered questions at times. Its just a stat, unless your counting yours or someone else's who cares. Lets help some consumers and leave the stats to Trulia. They will figure it out soon enough, and if you think we can change them we cant.
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Fri Jan 11, 2008
I knew ELVIS was to be first to answer. He is the best man to answer. He seems to be first alot.
I think this is a good answer