Using Trulia in McLean>Question Details

Ray Thomas, Home Buyer in 22101

Why does Trulia not pick up all of the listings from MRIS in the No. Va area?

Asked by Ray Thomas, 22101 Thu Mar 13, 2008

There are several properties on the market that fit my search criteria however they do not show up in the Trulia search engine. This means that if I only use Trulia.com for my home search, I am not getting several listings which should appear.

Answers

6
One of the problems that I had with Trulia when I tested it last was it had outdated homes. Sometimes homes that were sold 6 months ago. I guess it is easier to say "we have 2 Million homes" if they don't remove homes.

I believe they are getting better, but you are right, who wants to search for "almost" all homes? I don't care if it is 2 million or 20 million, if there are more on the MLS, you are missing the boat.
Web Reference: http://franklymls.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 13, 2008
I learned this evening that some Real Estate Brokers do have the option to have their listings display on Trulia and other national websites. The DC Metro area MLS is MRIS which has an agreement with Listhub.net that MRIS subscribers may subscribe to. Listhub in turn will send that Broker's MLS listings to Trulia and any other websites the Broker selects. I'm not sure whether individual agents can share their listings through Listhub without the consent of their Brokers. That said, if the feed is connected through the MLS, the listings should be fairly accurate and up to date (maybe a couple day delay). If individual agents add listings on Trulia and are not good about updating their status, I believe this is where you're more likely to see incorrect data or listings that have sold some time ago.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 4, 2009
Hi Ray,

The answers below are correct. Except in a few rare cases, Trulia does not receive listing information from the MLS. Rather, listings are submitted to us by brokerages, brokers, agents and web vendors. While this does mean that we don't have complete coverage in all areas we currently have over 2 million for sale listings in our database and our coverage continues to grow each day.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
It's because they scrape the data and/or get it from the brokerage firms. They don't have a feed from the MLS, IDX, etc. It's the local MLS deciding not to give away the information (a topic that could lead to hours of discussion).
And if you don't like my new site. (4x larger photos, fast like Google, works on your cellphone) , try this other link which showcases all 33 companies that display the local MLS. So you can pick the format you like the best.
No they do not have the MLS. See my blog where I talk about what Zillow and Trulia do not have.

You might try http://www.FranklyMLS.com