Why are the thumbs labeled helpful or not when they should be "agrees with my preconceived opinion" & "not"?

Asked by Jim Walker, Carmichael, CA Sat Jul 28, 2007

Answers

10
Jennifer Mon…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Jul 28, 2007
Hey Jim,

I select according to how articulate, informative and useful the answer seems to me. Dissenting opinions actually help me evolve my perspective, so I love them! If well worded and relevant - they get a thumbs up from me!

p.s. Just gave YOU a thumbs up! :)
Web Reference:  http://JennifersPdxHomes.com
Proflatfee, , New York, NY
Sun Jul 29, 2007
I just experienced a few thumbs down votes because someone did not like my post. It was not about if the answer was useful or not. If you agreed or not, my post was useful either way.

In another thread, a homeowner asked the fastest way to sell his house. 3 Real Estate Pros responded that it was all about price, even saying “price cures everything”, “price is #1”, “price for yesterday and it will sell”. Not one of these Real Estate Pros was concerned in the slightest about anything other than price. Each had an opportunity to speak about value added services, and instead, answered that it was “all about price.” They completely support the argument for flat flee MLS listings by the way they handled this. I believe in Flat Fee MLS listings. I agree it is all about price. Let’s not debate Flat Fee pros and cons in this thread, but see how the thumbs down vote was applied in this case.

Here is why my post was useful. Assume you believe in Flat Fee MLS, then my post was useful because I pointed out the validation statements made by the Real Estate Pros. Assume you do not believe in Flat Fee, then my post pointed out that the failure to address value added services was a dangerous error on the part of these ladies. Still, a useful post on my part. I simply told the ladies how their message comes across to the public. If they are delivering the wrong message, my post is useful, and they should say thank you,. Not the case, my post received thumbs down because they did not like what I said.

Jim, you are absolutely correct in that the voting system is one that supports preconceived notions. So, if that is the voting system, I shall vote thumbs up for the ladies who said it was only about price, because I agree. And, I will vote thumbs up for you on this question, because I agree.
Megan, , San Francisco, CA
Sun Jul 29, 2007
I've also noticed some not so friendly uses w/ the thumbs down functionality. what do you think about making the ability to give a thumbs down based on a members "Status" in the community? for example, in order to give a thumbs down you'd have needed to submitted a certain number of contributions, or received a certain number of "best answers". what do you think?
Kathleen Kel…, , Nashville, TN
Sun Jul 29, 2007
One more thought.... ever lose a listing to another agent who told the sellers that they could sell for a higher (unrealistic) price? Then you watch the house sit until they come back down to reality. Sellers don't always want to hear the truth, they'll go with an agent that is "blowing smoke", and it winds up costing them in the end.
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Sat Jul 28, 2007
P.S. to my previous post:
I will never hit the "thumb's down" box simply because I disagree--every market has it's own quirks!
Kathleen Kel…, , Nashville, TN
Sat Jul 28, 2007
I noticed that too, Jim. People aren't always open minded, even when asking a question; I think they aren't actually asking, they are just looking for someone to confirm and validate their own thoughts. Then if someone answers contrary to their pre-conception, they count that as an invalid answer.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Aug 4, 2007
I look at some of the answers and I see the majority of the answers are thought through and very well presented, whether their opinion agrees with me or not, but they are always educational. Quite a few do deserve a Thumbs up.

However, I also see very few answers where it seems to me the person does not even seem to either have read or understood the question or the person just give a very short answer and ask the buyer / seller to contact them. This, I see as purely trying to get their name out there instead of offering service which is what we should strive for; then I would think a thumbs down is warranted.

At this day and age with many internet tools allowing potential buyers and sellers to do a lot of research themselves, let us professionals work hard to show that we care, we are knowledgable, and we bring values to our clients and our service is worth it. Every thumbs up count.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Jul 29, 2007
Jim, Good question...

Megan,

I think the voting needs tweaking. I don't have any suggestions at the moment, and will give some thought to the options you mentioned. Perhaps I will have my two cents to throw in within the next few days.

Deborah
Megan, , San Francisco, CA
Sat Jul 28, 2007
Hey there Jim. Megan - product manager for Trulia Voices here. You should not be seeing text when you mouse over the thumbs so that's a bug - nice catch! We wanted to leave the it messaging free because we thought definition was restrictive. For example, if we put text that said "useful," then someone might not click the thumbs up because if they thought someones answer was clever or funny... trying to accommodate different interpretations.
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Sat Jul 28, 2007
I've hit the "thumb's down" button a few times, usually because the answer given was not well thought out or entirely self-promoting. More often than not, I find myself clicking down the thread with a "thumb's up" to a lot of answers. The information provided here is wonderful. I'd like to see more COMSUMERS asking questions, though...