What determines Trulia popularity?

Asked by Paul Doverspike, 60560 Sun Jan 20, 2008

Answers

7
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Tue Jan 22, 2008
Hi Paul,

I apologize for not chiming in sooner.

I have a hunch that you're not talking about popularity on Trulia Voices but rather on our Heat Maps. The Illinois Heat Map can be accessed at the link below. Very simply put Trulia Popularity shown here is based on Trulia website traffic and will give you an idea of where people are searching for homes.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Jan 22, 2008
O.K. now we all look foolish (other than Emily, of course).

A lesson learned for me - should have asked what the question meant rather than blindly following the lead. Sometimes overzealous is not a good thing.

I shall remember this :-)

Sylvia
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Jan 21, 2008
Ginger, I've found that Zillow is so anti-Realtor that any question asked by a potential buyer or seller, is jumped upon with such vehemence with statements like "don't buy, bad time to buy, prices are still falling", and that any Realtor who jumps into the fray to try to answer a question is chastised soundly, because of course, we are "only trying to protect our commission"... it's the wild-wild-west over there, and very little real estate knowledge is passing hands.

Trulia, on the other hand, is so pro-Realtor, that anyone with a FSBO or non-realtor slant is jumped upon with the same vigor. The language is more polite, but the sentiment is the same. Over here there is quite a bit of real estate knowledge being imparted (bravo Trulia), but the overwhelming message is not just "You need a Realtor", but in many cases "Use ME!, call ME, here's my website!".

I have more hope that Trulia will find that middle-ground, than Zillow. I have all but given up on the sheriff arriving at Zillow in time to find any of the residents still alive.
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Mon Jan 21, 2008
For me, it is the Trulia Voices. If Trulia did not have this section, I would not use it as much as I do. Some other real estate sites, such as Zillow, are useful sites (with some limitations) but the Q&A section is garbage. Even tho some agents contribute there, too much non-RE discussion.
So I come for Trulia Voices and stay to use some other features.
Mary Trostle, Home Buyer, Maryland
Mon Jan 21, 2008
Hi Paul,
I think trulia is a good resource for everyone in real esate -- especially if you are an out of town buyer or seller. It gives you the opportunity to network and seek advise. It also give each home listed a great "big picture" view -- maps, comps, etc. My family has been very mobile this site is "trulia" what I wished for when we were moving. You still have to do homework as a seller or a buyer but you are not so lonely doing it -- and smarter for asking questions.
Mary
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Mon Jan 21, 2008
In my mind, what determines Trulia Popularity is the kind of questions the buyers and sellers ask, and the quality answers Real Estate Pros provide. Also, not to forget the customer input which often adds a different insight to things.

As others have said, we love Trulia Voice. I am in Real Estate partly because I love the people interaction; it's fascinating how everybody has different needs and wants and how everybody interprets things differently. Being able to help on a personal level is what I love most. I also like the fact that I learn a lot from other Real Estate Pros, even with different level of knowledge, experience and location. The other, after you are here for a while, and become a regular, you get to know some of the people and know you can depend on some and ignore others (sorry, kind of like real life doesn't it).

Anybody who is on Trulia should really read and understand the community guidelines http://www.trulia.com/guidelines/

and Agents Best Practice http://www.trulia.com/voices/Using_Trulia/Trulua_Voices_Agen…

They are there for a reason.

Common sense, curtsey, respect, knowledge, dedication, curiosity, needs, sense of community are what make Trulia popular in the long run and we will all benefit from that.

Sylvia
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sun Jan 20, 2008
If you're asking about the "top voices" popularity contest, I believe that is determined via a combination of the "thumbs up's" one has received, the number of questions answered, and the number of "best answers" awarded.