Question Details

John the Bru…, Home Buyer in Connecticut

Somone duplicated my user name/profile.

Asked by John the Bruce, Connecticut Fri Aug 15, 2008

My doppelganger is using the same name and avatar and posting some not-so-nice stuff. Please remove it and the posts, if possible.

Here's the offender: http://www.trulia.com/voices/profile/Home_Buyer-Connecticut-…

Answers

15
Hi John,

I'm sorry that this happened to you. The user's profile has been deactivated and the answers posted under that profile have been removed as well.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Emily - thanks for the quick fix!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 15, 2008
Hi John,

We've deactivated the latest duplicate profile and we have removed the answers posted under that profile as well.

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Stop the insanity, again.
I defer to more knowledgeable heads.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
All,

We do have unique member names (your email address), and we don't expose that for obvious privacy reasons--you wouldn't want people to write robots to harvest those email addresses and spam you. That's the same as AOL, Yahoo! and others. Your display name is non-unique because names in general are not unique. Yahoo! lets you pick whatever display name you want with no uniqueness constraint. From that perspective we're no different from them.
Elv!s,

At the risk of repeating myself, making such a change would require a ton of work by our engineers, wouldn't deter those who want to copy a profile and would make registration more difficult for users with the same name. From our end, it doesn't seem like there is a real benefit to doing this.

Still, I'll let our team know that you are urging us to reconsider.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Somehow, I think that Google, AOL, Yahoo and other similar companies, have more membership than Trulia, and they somehow manage to have user name uniqueness.
I unfortunately agree with Emily and Roger.
Web Reference: http://www.bowenboston.com
Emily, just because people sometimes have the same name, isn't a valid reason for not making the user name unique. They'd just have to begin using their middle initial, or being a bit creative.

And yes, while I realize thay could simply add an extra space, or a period, or a hyphen... that would still help to differentiate. Please ask the powers that be to reconsider.
Hi John,

I'm sorry this continues to happen. The user's profile has been deactivated once again and the answers posted under that profile have been removed.

The user name field cannot be unique for each individual because many people do have the same name. If you check out some of the results in member search, you'll see what I mean. Also, even if we did make the user name field unique, that wouldn't solve this problem. Someone can simply add an extra space or two to the end of the name to make it unique, yet it will look almost identical to the name in the original profile.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Hi John,
Unfortunately constraining the name field would be inconvenient for a lot of folks (I'm sure there's more than one Trulia user named John Smith or Jill Carter) and not a deterrent for the idiots intent on causing mayhem. They could register as "John the Bruce" (note the 2 spaces), which would render essentially the same as your name in a browser, yet still be unique from a technical point of view.
Same thing, yet again.

Why is the user name field not constrained as unique?
Good Morning John,

I'm sorry that we weren't able to respond to this sooner, however the user's profile is now frozen, along with the answers he posted under that profile.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Emily,

Same thing is happening again. Here's the user's profile.:http://www.trulia.com/voices/profile/Buyer_andamp_Seller-Con…

Isn't there a user-name "uniqueness" constraint upon a new user signing up that should prevent this?

-John