Should Agents answer questions or try to PROMOTE themselves on Trulia?

Asked by Donald J. Leske II, Tacoma, WA Sun Dec 16, 2007

... are we getting spammed? It seems that the majority of member Agents try to really help people out! Some users are not even agents, but have great thoughts and advice. Some agents are daily online trying to help with great answers, but some others seem to be just fishing for business.
New Agents.., please review: http://www.trulia.com/guidelines and lets have fun helping others! :)

Community etiquette
1. Keep the peace
2. Keep it clean
3. No sales
4. Have fun & be original!

This is a fun forum and gives a way to sharpen our skills plus learn what is going on out there in the community too. However, there has been some Agents that continue to give out their email address and answer questions with a seemingly biased answer geared toward grabbing a clinet more than helping to really answer the question at hand. - This is especially poignant when the Agent is blatent about it and/or self promoting. Give this question a THUMBS UP if you agree.
-Don

Answers

7
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Excellent and timely post, Don.
I have seen agents gently remind newcomers to read the guidelines, which is helpful. It may be an oversight. I think that we, the community, need to flame repeat offenders. I do find the majority of agents are genuinely helpful and I think it is fine to include a link. I like to check out their websites.
Hey Francesca, I too have accidentally hit a thumbs down when I meant thumbs up. If you go & click TU on the same post, it will reverse it! Try it! :)
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Hi Don:

Thanks for the posting. There are quiite a few questions like this. As new agents come on board, a reminder is good periodically.

One of the suggestions I made to Trulia is to require people to read and agree with the 'Community Guideline' (actually an improved one to include the lessons learned so far and address out of state answer/question, liability issue, etc) when they create a user account.

The consumers and real estate pros can browse the questions and answers but will not be able to ask or answer a question nor are they able to give TUs and TDs unless they actually create a user account.

I believe Trulia is working on some of those. Until then, here is another thead for Agent's Best Practice, which I believe Keith created - also a good one to read

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Using_Trulia/Trulua_Voices_Agen…

Thanks for bringing this up.

Sylvia
ruby smith, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
RE agents are your best resource to answer your questions. It's what we do, it's a job like your job. Some agents who are answering questions have some kind of monetary arrangement on Trulia to have their name and picture featured. its how Trulia is able to provide to you this service. an agent can buy more prescence on the site also.
James Taylor, , Orange Park, FL
Wed Sep 15, 2010
I feel that Trulia offers such a wealth of information and collective knowledge. Since it is such a resource I feel there is room questions and also promotion. Great site!
Donald J. Le…, Other Pro, Tacoma, WA
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Interesting.... so far all posts seem to be good for the community "Lets help others!" ...and I will assume that the TD's are agents who love to spam and will not show who they are anyway. Also, YES you can change a TD to a Thumbs UP by just clicking it again later. :)
Don
Francesca Pa…, , Monmouth Cty NJ
Sun Dec 16, 2007
Nicely put Don. Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees this.

Sorry, but I accident hit theTD on this one.
Web Reference:  http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Graham M. Lo…, Agent, Franklin, TN
Sun Dec 16, 2007
I feel answering questions is the best for this type of forum!