Ok, I know I'm setting myself up here, but...

Asked by David Rivera & Sheila Small, San Francisco, CA Fri Oct 5, 2007

it seems Trulia readers have become, for lack of a better word, really "stingy" with the positive reinforcement (thumbs up). All of us on here who take the time out of our day to answer questions thoughtfully and professionally deserve a little pat on the back now and then, no? Ok, yes, we do it because we like to help, but, I admit, that acknowlegment feels good!

Answers

27
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Oct 6, 2007
Hello Cindi:

No, I did not give you the TD so don't worry about that and I agree with what you said about the ultimate goal of providing quality answers, and you know I believe that.

I think Dave and Sheila's question is really, ,since there is an instrument of recognizing useful answers, and there are also various quality of answers on Trulia forum; when you see a good answer to a question, it will be nice to recognize that; especially since a lot of time and thought were put into it. Since there is no audible way to connect when we see an answer, a Thumbs up is the way to go.

If what you said is true, we probably don't have to say 'Thank You' to anybody at all, because the goal in our life is to be helpful and contribute to the goodness of mankind (no LOL from anybody, I may not do this every minute of my life, but I do fundamentally believe in this).

It never hurts to show a little appreciation when it's warranted and it is always nice to make people feel good; we all need that.

Sylvia
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sat Oct 6, 2007
OK....you all may dislike this answer.

While it DOES feel good to get positive reinforcement, isn't our ultimate goal to answer questions for the consumers and help them as best we can? (I am expecing thumbs down for this answer....bring 'em on!)
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Fri Oct 5, 2007

No, I don't think you are setting yourself up.....

Sylvia had made a suggestion a while back that an email reminder go out from Trulia to an original poster asking them to vote for a Best Answer. I thought it was a great idea. I think that same message could incorporate a gentle reminder to the original poster to remember to vote for the answers that were useful or helpful.

Such 'reminder' could be incorporated for both BA and TU, and, in my opinion should come from Trulia. If several agree, perhaps we could collectively deliver that suggestion to Trulia. RE Pros are not paid for their time here, so feedback for a postiive contribution is important.

Deborah
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Sun Nov 11, 2007
Are Dave and Sheila being, for lack of a better word, "stingy" in awarding best answer??? Well, I thought there were a lot of good posts, and gave out a lot of thumbs up. Not mine to give, but I would give best answer to Patrick Mahony with the very funny video. :)
Ruthless, , 60558
Wed Nov 7, 2007
I agree with "deserve a little pat on the back" and "whether I answered the person's question or whether my question is on track from other people's perspective."

I think the reason people don't like the TU and TD is because of the TD bandit. When TD is given because of the PERSON answering and not HOW they answered the question, that's when things turn ugly. I've JUST RECENTLY realized that when I give a great answer and then someone else says exactly the same thing after me and they get 3 TU and I get none, that it is because I have FSBO next to my name. Luckily, I've earned enough respect (I think and hope) that anti-FSBO agents don't just give me TD because I am a FSBO.

Ruth
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Wed Nov 14, 2007
I did find it , but after the fact. I was just teasin' ya. :)
There were so many answers that it was hard to keep up. This thread turned out to be a lot of fun. But thank you for responding. I thought Sylvia's answer was excellent.
Still think we need a special award for the very funny video posted by Patrick.....
And I do try to do a better job with the thumbs up. I just gave you one for getting back to me!!!!!
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Oct 6, 2007
Yes, I agree with you, Dave and Sheila.

It does feel very good when we know people appreciate our efforts and the fact that we are willing to share our knowledge and experience with virtually total strangers here in Trulia. It takes me a lot of time to answer one question and I do love it when it's acknowledged.

I think if we start giving TUs (Thumb Ups for the new comers, that' the little hand underneath the answer :-) ) ourselves, then people will follow the example and know that it is O.K. to give out Thumb Ups.

By the way, that little hand is actually very cute, it says 'Thanks' when you click on it! Just like anything else in life, it's good to give out 'THANKS'

Sylvia
Ute Ferdig, Agent, Auburn, CA
Fri Oct 5, 2007
Yes, Dave and Sheila. I have noticed the same thing. I personally give TUs to those whose answers I like. I don't give TDs. I'll just post my answer and sometimes I'll send a personal e-mail if I think I should share my disagreement. Sometimes, I see an answer that refers to another answer as a good answer, but no TU was given. What is proper Trulia voting etiquette? I have to say that I have received e-mails and phone calls from fellow Trulians who wanted to tell me how much they enjoy reading my answers and it was nice to get the feedback. We are all very busy and when someone takes the time to pick up the phone or send an e-mail, it's much appreciated. I have also sent e-mails to other Trulians showing that I liked an answer they posted. It would be nice if Trulia sent a follow up e-mail to the poster of a question thanking them for using Trulia and reminding them to vote. Many times I wonder if the poster of the question ever reads all the answers as there is often no feedback (good or bad).

Thanks for having the courage to bring up this subject.
Web Reference:  http://www.go2kw.com
#1, , San Francisco Bay Area
Fri Oct 5, 2007
If the content of a question or answer is good, I constantly and freely give thumbs up. I read all prior posts before I answer. If it is a good post it gets a thumbs up from me.

If it is a bad post or question, I pass. I don't give thumbs down. When I receive thumbs down on my posts It doesn't bother me because it doesn't count against me and at least I know I got someone's attention.

If a post is really bad, I flag it. Personal promotion, off-subject, total stupidity or absolutely no class gets flagged.

As for best answer, Trulia has left that election up to us. Notice, best answers are few. I don't feel best answers are handed out indiscriminately. If it is a great answer or question it is acknowledged by someone. I think that is a good system. The absolute best answers do get recognition on Trulia.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Ginger,

Nicely said. BTW, you can TU (Tumbs Up) as much as you want. BA (Best Answers) are limited to the question poster, who can only choose one answer that represents the "Best". However, you can read any thread, at any time, and use your Thumb. You can't wear it out,unless you knuckle gets tired and needs a rest. :-)

Thanks for your comments on this post. They were insightful.

A comment..... I totally agree that a total disregard to the inquirer with a stock, "Ask your Realtor." brings no value. When I direct a someone back to their Realtor, I usually try to explain why I dont' have the ability to provide a good answer and why their Realtor needs to be the one to do that. There are times when I direct someone to a local Realtor because local pieces of data are needed that I do not have or know. Other times I must direct someone back to their local Realtor in order to be compliant w/ our National Assoc. of Realtors Code of Ethics. The Code of Ethics was written to protect the consumer, and once in a while a consumer wishes we could bend on some part of it to meet their needs.

I would love for more consumers to participate and share their views. So, please, ask your friends and family to participate. I welcome the oppty to learn from them!

Thanks Again,
Deborah
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Casual users don't know about the thumbs up & down. I just figured it out. Sometimes if there are two or three really good answers, it is hard to go back and pick just one. I have done it & felt kinda bad about the ones I didn't pick because they really were just as good.
I think Ruth is right - there is a bias twds realtors by some realtors. Not all, just some.
You know, you really should be learning just as much as the buyers/sellers on here. Shocking? You have an open window into the minds of the people to whom you are attempting to market. You can learn a lot about your customer base. You can learn from other realtors and other professionals. And (gasp) sometimes the cusomer, because at the end of the day is the actual investor, has direct knowledge with a unique point of view.
Also, to addess your comment thorougly: The stock answer of "Ask your realtor" tends to be ignored. I can see where sometimes you positifvely, absolutely have to tell them to seek professional help now. But when the situation is not urgent, that adds no real value.
You should participate in Trulia because you like it. Your answers are a way of giving back. Thumbs up can be a nice little surprise but the experience itself is the reward.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Sun Oct 28, 2007
Patrick,
You posted such a great answer to the boss' wife realtor question I had to go back and read some of your other posts. That's a really great film clip. I give it 5 stars, thumbs up! Who is that devilishly charming young man??? Looks familiar . . .
I think you should repost it as a question (has anyone seen the Trulia thumbs lately? with a link to the video) since no one else has commented on it. Great job! I'm impressed!
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
J R, , New York, NY
Sun Oct 28, 2007
Cindi wrote:
OK....you all may dislike this answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~
While I'm not giving you a thumbs down, :) , my ultimate goal is not to "help" consumers if it means giving away my own hard earned or proprietary knowledge, and I object to many of the "giving away the store" answers, perhaps in an effort to look "helpful". My goal is to give honest answers to the public's questions, and direct them to where THEY can get the information they are looking for, just as I do with my customers and to an extent, with my clients. It rankles me to see someone ask "how should I/my realtor be marketing my home, and find a 500 word dissertation of how to market a home for an answer.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Nov 14, 2007
Do you really need approval from others? Believe in yourself man..... Live in your own reality. Get a hg from your family... That's all that really matters.
David Rivera…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Nov 14, 2007
Hey Ginger,
Look down to Sylvia's answer - we gave it best answer a couple of weeks ago. Guess you didn't make
it all the way through all the answers!
J R, , New York, NY
Thu Nov 8, 2007
I hope you didn't think I meant you, Deborah, when I said that, but there are a number of agents here who cheerily suggest "you need a new AGENT!" for practically every situation.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Off topic of this thread.....apology to Dave and Sheila:

Note to JR. I am extremely hesitant to ever suggest that anyone "fire their Realtor." We usually do not have enough info here usually to have the full story. Thank you for bringing that up agian.
J R, , New York, NY
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Sylvia wrote (to me? or at least in a post that started out to me):
I know some truly don't care, but sometimes, I wonder if the person who objects to the TUs or TDs are the ones who truly worry about whether they will be getting TUs or TDs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know for my part I'm probably one of the most vociferously anti TU TD, but I honestly don't even notice them when I get them, OR when other people get them, and rarely give them out unless Ruth reminds me to, LOL! :)
J R, , New York, NY
Thu Nov 8, 2007
"Ask your realtor" may sound like a stock answer, but 90% of the time IMO it is the answer that should be given instead of 5 paragraphs telling the consumer to fire their agent. :)
Ruthless, , 60558
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Good morning Deborah. We posted at the same time. But I noticed that you said, "Nicely said" and didn't give Ginger a thumbs up. I sure it just hadn't registered yet, right.

Deborah is without a doubt the BEST professional on this forum!!! She takes so much time and her answers are always exceptional.
Ruth
Ruthless, , 60558
Thu Nov 8, 2007
You said it Ginger! I remember making one comment early on and Deborah M. was amazed that the standard sales line (or whatever it was) was actually a huge turn off for consumers. She said she didn't know that was how or why the consumer thought that way. You can't fix the problem if you don't know what it is.

Ginger, when you award best answer, post and let the others know that you thought their answer was just as good. Sometimes it helps to let the TUs be a tie breaker for you or when in doubt, awarded to the person with the best answer first. The people that respond afterwards have an advantage by reading the other posts.

Thank you Ginger for joining me on the consumer side of things. I hope to hear more from you and other home buyers and sellers. Let make this world a happier place.
Ruth
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Nov 7, 2007
You are correct in some way, Pam, but each person has their own needs.

You can be full of knowledge, but if you can't read the person and does not respond to their true needs, all your opinions do not mean anything to the customer.

My real goal is to provide information for the consumers based on their needs.

Sylvia
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Nov 7, 2007
I thought our goal was to provide information for the consumer based on our opinions.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hi J.R.

I think that's the other reason why I like havingg the TU and TD options.

For me, it's also an indication (not as much as the BEST ANSWER) of whether I answered the person's question or whehter my question is on track from other people's perspective.

Yes, sometimes I don't feel I deserve one or the other, but over time, I think it evens out; but you know the theory of large numbers; you do have to be on the board for a while before it will 'average' out.

Sylvia
J R, , New York, NY
Sun Oct 28, 2007
I think everyone stopped voting when people were complaining about getting thumbs down. :)
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Fri Oct 5, 2007
In life positibe reinforcement is always a good thing. We public servant Realtors always enjoy a pat on the back and in fact that is why some agents do business.

I think we should take the time to comment when there is a good or helpful answer.
Frances Flynn…, , State College, PA
Fri Dec 19, 2008
I agree wholehearteldy about acknowledgment and it appears as #11 in a post I wrote, "15 Tips About How To Behave In Online Community." (I just clicked this question for your 11th Thumbs Up here.)

11. Be generous with praise.

If another poster makes a good point, click the Thumbs Up button and feel free to acknowledge good answers with online praise. How do you feel when someone compliments you on a job well done? You can share good energy online with personal acknowledgment. This creates a feeling of warmth and solidarity within the community. You can accomplish this in Trulia Voices Q&A and in blog comments.

TIP: Make it a practice to say something nice about someone or another person’s question or blog post each time you visit the community.