Using Trulia in New York>Question Details

Jodi Strober-…,  in Bucks County PA, Mon...

Is anyone else addicted to Trulia Voices?

Asked by Jodi Strober- Bucks & Montgomery County PA, Bucks County PA, Montgomery County PA Wed Aug 29, 2007

I don't know if I should be happy or upset about this - but Voices have taken over my head.

Answers

42
I am guilty. I do email people. Because, I fear the DOWNTHUMB to elaborate on a personal level too far without my hands waiving around and facial expressions to be behind the words. Heck after reading Jim's post, you have start on your "rep" right from the get-go. I really try hard to answer questions appropriately and fairly ;-) and it seems like most do too. I feel like I am reading a book I cannot put down.
Steve Ostrom, Real Estate Pro in Roseville, CA
I've noticed I'm drinking less. I have a very addictive personality and the object of my addiction is completely transferable.
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Yes, I'm cured. The changes in the mood and fun on Trulia occurred during a brief 2 week period back around November. I've come back on to find that none of the bad negativity exists from that turbulent time however they say, "You can't go back home." Trulia has matured and many of the regular contributers are now the proverbial college graduates. Whether Trulia was a close knit family for a while or a college fraternity, it will never be the same.

Using the family analogy, Father Trulia was saying, "This is my house and my rules." As one goes from a child to an adult, the rules need to grow as well.

Using the fraternity analogy, we crossed the line. Previous parties that didn't cross the line were now being scrutinized more heavily.

Those who are still on Trulia are no longer the student but have stayed to become the teachers or moved to a home next door to Mom and Dad. The rest are just alumni guest speakers or returning home for the holidays.

I miss the good old time.
Ruth
Web Reference: http://www.Oak-Park-IL.com
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Formerly addicted include....Jeanette, Patrick, Paul, Carrie, Ute, Sylvia, Bridgette, Cindi,Erin, Jennifer, Ed. Patti, Diane,Steve and Heather, Ruth, Jim......and I apologize for any I have omitted, but should have included.

I still see Jim and Sylvia, but so much less. Every once in a while I see Patrick, Diane and Ruth pop in for a moment. And, Jodi, the OP, hasn't been here in a while. So, does this mean her addiction waned, also?

It's too bad for Trulia and the public that so many great voices disappeared, or participate at a such a substantially decreased level. There are some great new voices here......and I learn from them, and am glad to see them.

I am disappointed that many of the former regular contributors are not here, or are only found infrequently.

As for me......I have just been very busy lately.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
No not me. Just because I'm answering at 2AM on a Monday morning is NO indication of that.
Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007
yeah buddy, it's addictive! let go of the mouse and step away from the computer...stop me before i Trulia!

and while we are at it, has anyone else developed a little crush on the girl whose smiling mug graces the emails? and do you ladies get a cute guy?

i laughed out loud at the suggestion that the unplugged meeting need be at a place with wi-fi...classic!

on a serious note i think this compulsion stems from the fact that many of the answers are very good and are a nice deviation from the pure BS of other forums. the depth of the expertise here kicks the you know what out of any other forum i've run across. sometimes when i have afew minutes i log in to see where a thread has strayed...especially useful are the ones with a sequence and a resolution.

cheers, Trulia, you are a helper.
Hooked because I've learned so much from all of these intelligent agents! Love it!

The only bad thing is, I'm more informed, but less productive. Oops. ;o)
Addicted isn't the word I would use, but I did liken it to "My Space for REALTORS" yesterday to a younger friend. Blog on!
I ran across this post again and it seemed to have vanished. Have we lost our addiciton to Trulia??
Web Reference: http://www.c21infinity.com
Sylvia:
Not only are you the hero, but you can turn a villain into a hero. I think you and Jim Walker (artist picture) had it out on a couple posts, and ever since then he has gone from always being funny and snide to consistently winning best answers. And also since then, you have lightened up a lot, too. You miss him, I can tell - especially because you are commenting on Patrick.

So, to the new people, those are a few of the cast members in As Trulia Turns.
Ruth
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Sorry, Realtyexec, you have my sympathy ;-)

My only advise is to turn off your PDA and get some sleep sometimes. Also, make sure you follow Rule #2 ; and don't take Patrick too seriously.

O.K if you insist, follow the other rules also.

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Using_Trulia/Trulua_Voices_Agen…

Have Fun!
Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
That was me sylvia, And yes i am addicted. Any advice?
You're a hero Sylvia, no doubt about it!
I am brand new to this site as of today actually, and I have been facsinated reading all the questions and responses. I have to remind myself I have work to do!! :-)
I have really enjoyed the voices section of Trulia. The best part of this site has been seeing how many caring professionals we have in our industry. I have seen many professionals give opinions with utmost sincerity, without prejudice, and without being paid. In the past I have seen many agents just keep things to themselves as they think someone is going to steal their knowledge and make more money with it. Keep up the great posts everyone.

As for being addicted, I dont think I have answered enough questions to be considered part of that elite group!!!

Ken Herrera
Century 21 Infinity
Ha Jodi - yes, I think I've become a bit obsessed here! It's fascinating here and a very different "feel" than most message boards. There are even villains and heroes (you and Ruth are definately heroes :) I love it!
Absolutely! Yes. It have become very addicting and informative.
Web Reference: http://castles2homes.com
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
Yes, it's a sickness for me too. If I'm up late at night, trulia voices is checked at least 5 times an hour. The questions and answers are useful, amusing, bemusing... I love reading the answers from the Pros!
There was a point where it consumed a lot of my time and not other things have taken over. Also, it seem that a lot of top voices went on a vacation. I know if did as there was quite a bit of negativity going on for a while. It is always nice to pop back in and participate. The forum is different since the three categories showed it and it seems as if a lot of the old voices have faded.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Hi Ruth:

I think fun is how and what you make of it, so do come back - you will meet new people, one jumps out, guess who.. ELVIS!!!

I still have fun on Trulia and still learn a lot. I personal have not been here because I have been quite busy - work and volunteer take a big chunk out of my time; so I don;t even have time to check sometimes not to mention spending time coming up with the right answers; also the market changed a lot -- there are so many questions about short sales / foreclosures and finally, I have answered so many questions, it's time for the new comers to make their marks on Trulia.

There is rules and there was rules; I believe some of us old timers really tried hard to instill the community rules and we still believe in that; that has not changed for me. .

To be honest, I think the mood also changed for me after Trulia revamped their site to have three different areas. I am mostly for improvements, but the three areas make me miss one or the other; but I guess it suites others.

I do miss you all and I am still here answering questions; so do come back and visit when you have time. Either way, you know where to find me.

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2008
I have a new policy. I am only allowed to be on Trulia if I am sitting and rolling on my exercise ball. It has already started working. It has been months since I used the ball and it deflated some. I just cleaned out couple draws just so I could find the nozzle to re-inflate it. I just can't stand the ten minute drive to the health club knowing that someone is on Trulia and I don't know what they are saying. I may have to cancel my club membership and buy a tread mill.
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 8, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
No, not in the least. LOL....................
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2007
Jodi,
I hear the voices too! Yes absolutely. I spend too much time here. Not enough time selling real estate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2007
Must I admit it?

You all are wonderful and I enjoy a good spirited round table anytime - virtual or otherwise :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
Well.... I am taking a new loan application, working on closing an escrow, working on a milliun dollar counter offer on the bottom feeder offer I received on my listing in Alameda, I have my fishing pole out in the river in the back yard waiting for a striper and I just had to come in and check on "The Voices!"

Yeah... I would say I am hooked. Anyone have a prescription for my illness?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
But Kelly, they will probably only come if you promise to supply enough laptops there for them to log on and start answering questions right there and then. O.K. Just kidding! :-)

I'd love to be there; especially if I can go and meet some of the people like Deborah and others. But I am on the complete opposite end of the country :-(

Also, a suggestion, Kelly; since your invitaiton can roll off the Trulia Voice Home page, you mgiht want to just have this invitaiton posted on one of the boxes right on top of the questions and answers - perhaps in that 'What's the Buzz?' box. But then again, you might have to get a bigger place, so this might not be practical.

Have Fun, You'all!

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
Um..... let me think about this for a second....... Um.... HECK YEAH!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
Absolutely!!! Some of us have tried emailing each other to cut down a bit so we don't get caught up in something new. But so far that hasn't worked either, from what I have seen.

Jodi: You'll be a top voice before you know it. The trick is to un-click email me answers.
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
I love Trulia Voices, it really enables us to interact with each other. I welcome your addictions on my blog, check out my top 5 tech recommendations, I assure you to will be addicted. :) Sharii Rosen-Roth
Yes! I love this place. Perhapsit is the "VOICES" in your head.
A twelve (12) step plan is coming out soon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
I'm sure if I could my typos would dramatically increase.
Ruth
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Ruth, can you be on Trulia and the treadmill at the same time?
I am addicted. This is probably the best real estate consumer Q&A forum out there...I find myself logging in whenever I have a few free minutes...which is not as often as I would like!
Web Reference: http://www.erinattardi.com
Erin Stumpf…, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
Well, I am having my moments of fun here! LOL, It IS a good way to not only share info with others, but to learn what is on their minds. It is a pretty harmless and actually helpful way to spend a little bit of evening time. I have a myspace account for real estate chatter as well, come visit me.. http://.www.myspace.com/realtorlisabrodsky
"I hear dead people", lol....and that was all I was going to say, but I have to have 25 characters or its not letting me post
and I have to enter a code now too
When one of the agents asked about what kind of PDA to use so they can be connected to Trulia, I decided that is the epitome of addition to Trulia. - Sorry, I am addicted, but not that much.

William - interesting to know that as consumers you see Villains and Heroes here. Would hate to find out which side I am on. Add a bit of #2 here.

Sylvia
Jodi:
I'm reviving this post because of a blog on addiction I read. Dr. Hallowell is one of the foremost authorities on ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder - the H stands for Hyperactivity). In his blog he says,

* * * Though addiction commonly refers to substance abuse or behavioral addictions like sex and gambling, there are other kinds of non-traditional pseudo-addictions that you might consider “treating” if you have ADD.

* Some adults with ADD cannot let go of their sense of unworthiness, behaving as if they were addicted to feeling shame, guilt and unworthiness.
* Some adults with ADD are addicted to conflict. Wherever they go, they instigate an argument. They have insight into the problem, but they can’t stop doing it – as if they are addicted to the negative feelings associated with interpersonal conflict.
* Some adults with ADD can’t stop procrastinating. No matter how many systems they put into place, they find themselves getting into a frenzy to do things at the last minute. They seem addicted to the pain of the last minute crisis.

For all of these addictions, I ask you to consider these ideas. The first is the power of connection. Human connection, in the form of friendships, memberships, involvement in relationships and groups where you are deeply valued and understood are critical for the person who is trying to overcome an addiction of any kind. Fellowship is the best and safest “drug” we have. * * *

As I said below, I'm drinking less. I took a sabbatical from Trulia for about a week twice now and both times I drank like a fish. I haven't had a drink since the last time I was able to stay away from Trulia for more than 24 hours. My liver thanks you.

Ruth
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
Hello fellow Trulians. I was wondering if I was the only one out there who felt like I had to create Trulia Voices Anonymous. It's definitely addicting. What can we do about it. Does anyone have a secret remedy other than turning off the computer?
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in New Castle, DE
I was until I took the cure:
http://www.blogtourusa.com/
Good points! we don't have an official spot - yet - for this type of stuff, so I thought i'd jump in with a question. but DO keep an eye out for more Unplugged events to come....
OK - if you're really addicted, do you have time to come over for to NYC next week forour first-ever Trulia Voices Unplugged get-together? THURSDAY, Sept 6? We'll be at Pravda Bar in NYC's Nolito neighborhood. Trulia to supply the drinks; you supply the good conversation. Buyers, sellers, professionals and amateurs alike are welcome. If interested, respond to my previous question - see link below (but ignore the type on the data - it really is Sept 6).
I "heart" Trulia Voices. I love the variety of answers and the complexity of some of the answers.