I am very upset with Trulia, why has my listing not been updated with new pictures? We have had new pictures twice but this is still the same!

Asked by LB, 55806 Mon Jul 25, 2011

when we first listed our home..This is not helping us at all!

Answers

7
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Chances are you are upset with the wrong person, trulia does not update new pictures into your listing, that is done by your listing agent, listings are eaither automatically transferred from mls to trulia and will reflect what is on mls or listings can be manually added and updated by YOUR agent. Trulia is just a platform to post them on much like an ad in your local paper. i would talk to your agent as you are mad at the wrong person.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Hi LB,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question without knowing which listing on our site you are referring to, however it appears that you may have already located the source of the problem. As Scott said below, your listing agent can update your property photos directly on Trulia within the My Listings section of his or her account.

Please let us know if you have any other feedback or questions for us.

Best Wishes,

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Why are you updating pictures on a Realtor and agent site?
LB, Home Seller, 55806
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Thank you everyone for your great advice, our realtor and others did think that once anything was updated, photos, information etc, would be pulled from the MLS. Which we found out is not true. I did find the same problem on a number of other sites as well, so I am sorry that I was upset with Trulia. My error, I should have done more research before I posted this question. The pictures are very old ones, new ones were posted months ago. But I never went into different sites to look at them until the other day. I noticed most of our viewings were from Trulia..and for some reason I went in and looked at them as I was thinking of having some different staging ones taken..thank you again! I learned a very important thing..I also need to stay on top of my listing.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Aggregate websites like Trulia receive data from more than one source. It could be the local MLS..(very unlikely) or Realtor.com (very likely) or Yahoo or Homes or Cribs or AlligatorHotHomes or any number of unknown sources. The exhaustive list of sources from which Trulia accepts data is unknown to me.

Next, one needs to know what priority the aggregate website, Trulia, gives each source. For instance, if Trulia receives data from Realtor.com and the agent's contact information is stripped,(it is always stripped unless real estate agents pay a fee to Realtor.com to RESTORE their identity as authors of the data) but instead the agent comes to Trulia to add their contact data. What happens when your updated images are forwarded via Realtor.com and hits Trulia? Is the manually edited record preserved (since it was manually edited) or will it be overwritten and the agents data is lost again? Now lets say your agent using auto-posting services to place your home on other aggregate websites and those sites feed data to Trulia, does Trulia update the entire record? Just price? Price and images? Links? is the manually edited record protected? What happens when a price change and new primary image is received from Realtor.com? What is the hierarchical update protocol? Realtor.com may provide an update daily, while other aggregate sites update weekly. Will the latter, dated update, overwrite the fresher data?

Now, most importantly, WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCURACY OF THE DATA? Who do you call? The real estate agent is not responsible for the data that appears on Trulia, it is placed here without agent consent. Many agents do keep a presence on Trulia to look after the concerns regarding their home seller interests. However, you must be aware, there exists thousands of websites with real estate data with mutual exchanges of which real estate agents have no knowledge, have expressed no consent and have no control.

If you want current and reliable information regarding your home, rely on a source where responsibility is obvious, your real estate professional. Let me repeat, real estate agents are not responsible for data appearing on aggregate websites. We do our best to keep data current, intervene as much as possible, but you must understand, one purpose of aggregate websites is to sell services to real estate agents. In the case of Realtor.com, agents must pay them to keep our names associated with the listing. In essense, we must pay to keep the data we created unchanged!

Now, a real estate agent must decide, "Do I let LB get upset when the data for the home is incorrect on Trulia/Zippo/Cribs/TBO/Homes/hotdiggs/ or must I subcribe to every conceivable aggregate website, and review each listing on a 'daily, weekly, monthly' basis to ensure data accuracy?" Do you think that is reasonable?

More that 80% of home buyers do start their process of searching on sites like Trulia. Hopefully, when it's time to make a real estate decision they understand the data which they are consuming is unreliable and turn to their real estate professional for access to the local MLS.

I do hope you are able to get your new images posted.
Web Reference:  http://www.MyDunedin.com
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Trulia takes its "feeds" from local MLS's, that are updated by your local Realtor or Agency. Sometimes is can take a few days to update new photographs.

You're upset with the wrong entity.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Have you discussed the issue with your agent, and did you ask him/her to make any necessary updates...