How can we get Trulia to Start Moderating not Only the Questions but the Answers!?

Asked by Mike Kelly Allison Norman, Santa Rosa, CA Fri Oct 12, 2007

I just posted a response to a college student seeking information on how to cost out 350 acres near a freeway. I was the second answer. A "real estate pro" told him to get a "F"ing job instead! How does THAT response get through? We had a question a couple weeks back about a buyer worried about "those people" living too close to his proposed purchase!! Trulia? Please respond!

Answers

7
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Fri Oct 12, 2007
Hi Michael,

Thank you for bringing this up. Trulia does view the moderation of Voices content very seriously and we have in fact removed the answer in question from the site.

We do review all questions and answers posted to the best of our ability but must rely on the Trulia Voices community to assist us. Jim and Sylvia have already pointed out the 'Report' flag as the best means of bringing such answers to the attention of Voices moderators.

I do want to emphasize that flagging an offensive answer or question will ensure that the answer will be attended to more quickly than one that is not flagged.

We appreciate your help.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Mon Oct 15, 2007
Hi Everyone,

The answer in question was only live on Trulia Voices for a few hours.

If something is extremely urgent and you feel the need to do more than report a flag you can email me directly (see my profile) or you can contact customer service via the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Carole Cohen, Agent, Cleveland, OH
Sat Oct 13, 2007
If it is something you think needs to be handled quickly, I find I have the best result emaling someone at Trulia.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Oct 13, 2007
Thanks Emily,
Besides using the FLAG, is there any way to note "Urgent Attention" needed? A flag might be a habitual spammer and that maybe can wait a few hours. I only know of two situations that I would have termed "Urgent" this one, and one other because of vulgarity. The other remained a few days. :( This one was there a few hours, a day?

Deborah
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Oct 12, 2007
It is very unlikely that the troll who wrote that was either a "pro" or even named Derek Murray.
It could have been an enemy of someone named Derek Murray, just setting up a flame to anonymously damage some ones reputation. If you go the posers profile, you will see that is the flaming trolls only post. I assume that the email address he gave is spoofed.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Fri Oct 12, 2007
Hi Michael:

Thank you so much for writing. One of the big goals some of us have is to make sure we help Trulia grow and become a really valuable source for the consumers. I personally really appreciate your help in this cause!

I know Trulia tries to but I am not sure if Trulia has enough resource to monitor all postings as you can see sometimes they can come fast and furious. But we can help when we are on the forum -

First, the most important thing is that anybody on this site should read and follow the
community guidelines http://www.trulia.com/guidelines/ and
best practices http://www.truliablog.com/?p=191

It is also especially important for a Real Estate Pro to uphold our professional image - part of reason why we have to defend our profession so much, sadly.

Now that a response such as this was posted, there are a couple of ways -
1) You can report the answer by click on the Report Flag
2) Trulia does have some editing in place to disallow offensive language on the site, but I am not sure why it does not work
3) You can write the responder a personal email and ask them to help us to uphold the community rules and R.E. professionalism.

Sylvia
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Oct 12, 2007
When a truly horrible q or A is posted, we can click the little flag next to the thumbs and report it as inappropriate, spam, or even duplicate. The language filter and other auto filters alone can't weed out determined blog trolls.
I still cling to the notion that honoring the concept of free speech includes allowing the right of people with abhorent ideas to make their statements. I can then refute or ignore those I disagree with.

Trulia has its own commercial and social reputation to protect, thus I respect Trulia right to filter out trolls and spammers asTrulia sees fit.