How can Trulia data be so wrong?? Do they not update their sources? The county of Santa Clara corrected my home records about 5 yrs ago

Asked by fu, Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA Fri Dec 4, 2009

Answers

3
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Fri Dec 4, 2009
Hi Sandra,

Welcome to Trulia and thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. We license the assessor records information that you find throughout our site and we receive weekly updates from our data provider with new or updated information that we in turn publish on our site. We will be happy to investigate this matter and alert our data provider of any discrepancies that appear between their information and the information published by your county.

Please access the link below to contact our Customer Service team about this problem and please be sure to provide a link to our display of your property on our site or the complete property address. Additionally, If it is at all possible for you to provide us a link to the assessor information published for your home by your county, that will help us to investigate this issue more efficiently.

Please be sure to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Web Reference:  http://support.trulia.com/
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Fri Dec 4, 2009
Hi Sandra,

The most reliable source of information comes from your trusted Real Estate agent. It is their job to know what is the most current and accurate information. Websites, although information rich, really should be compared to entertainment and very general in nature. They are best used to gather general information so that you are armed with questions, find and interview an agent, go from there.

The local MLS and Tax Records are pulled by all the virtual real estate websites. Not all these websites pull from the direct source, they may receive feeds only from individual brokers and paid data banks. If those sources are not pulling their data from the direct source, as it happens, then the information will not be accurate. Some websites, such as Craigslist, Zillow, and Trulia receive active listings direct from agents, so if the agent doesn't directly submit the listing, then it will not show up.

Real Estate agents and Brokers pull their data directly from the source.

Hope this sheds some light for you.
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
joe smith, Agent, NYC, NY
Fri Dec 4, 2009
Very few websites update their data once it's read from the county records. The assumption is that it won't change and it's originally recorded as correct info. Unfortunately as in your case, changes made are not reflected on the internet stored records.
In defense of Trulia and other websites, it would be an impossible task to scan all county and city records every day/week/month to see if there were any corrections. This would mean they would have to scan millions of records every time and compare with the original.
This problem arises most typically regarding the availability of properties for sale. My clients ask me to provide info on a particular home they see on the internet, and ofter I tell them it's already sold 4 months ago.
I hope this clears up your question. See my website if you would like to call me direct and ask more questions. Remember: the only question that's dumb is the one not asked :)