How can I estimate my home value with Trulia?

Asked by Terry, Houston, TX Mon Nov 22, 2010

Answers

16
Savannah Bowman’s answer
Savannah Bow…, Agent, Fort Collins, CO
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Hi, Terry.
Your best bet is to have a local agent to a CMA (Competitive Market Analysis) with recent/similar homes which have sold in the past 3-6 months.
This number is constantly changing depending on the recent sales, so if you are looking for the right time to sell keep checking! There are many agents on Trulia who would be happy to get you this information, including myself. Consequently, this is also a good way to protest your property taxes.
Please let me know if I can provide this. All that's needed is your current address and any new improvements or improvements needed.
Visit my profile for more information or contact me directly at 832-409-9436.
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/sboon
8061 bright ct Orlando fl 32636
Flag Wed Aug 9, 2017
Cris Christi…, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Definitely get an agent to do a market analysis for you! If you would like, I would be happy to an analysis for you. Send me your email address with your property address and I will be happy to send it to you!
Frank Dolski, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Tue Nov 23, 2010
Terry,
As many agents have mentioned, get a local Realtor to assess the value of your home. Trulia is more accurate than Zillow but there is nothing better than a professional analysis from a Realtor with "Real Time" MLS Data!
Web Reference:  http://www.FrankDolski.com
Alicia Sermon, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Nov 23, 2010
If you would like, I can do a professional comparative sold analysis for your home. I am a Realtor/Broker and does have access to the sold history data, if there were homes sold in your area within the last 6 months or year. Feel free to contact me.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Terry,

Online is tough....Zillow has something like 50% margin of error in Texas...the last time I looked at their stats. Best is to contact a neighborhood realtor and get them to give you some updates.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Your friendly Realtor is your best bet. Trulia and others get their data from county records. In Texas, closed sale prices are not disclosed. However, the Realtor does have that data. In addition, we have been in the homes near-by and can compare your home to theirs.

Getting ready to sell? Fighting the tax man? Trying to sell on your own? Best bet is to call a Realtor with many years of experience and many sales under their belt.

Mark McNitt, Bernstein Realty
Greg Fowler, Agent, Dallas, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Terry,

Many have answered and almost all recommend that you use a local REALTOR to help you with this task. The most basic reason for this is that they have access to the SOLD data. Through websites like Trulia and Zillow, the value analysis is based on publicly available data. In the state of Texas, the public data will show most properties selling for "ten dollars and other good and valuable consideration". That is what the deed will most likely state.

Catherine Valle has given you a link to a great product that will show the information that will allow you to get a better feel for the actual sales in your neighborhood. However, it will stop short of providing a precise value for your home.

As others have stated, the best way to get an accurate estimate is to let a REALTOR visit your home. REALTORs who are active in your neighborhood will have a good grasp of the value of the updates that you have done to your home as compared to those done by others. They will be able to narrow the range considerably.

If you are just looking for a basic idea of the property value, I would recommend that you follow the link in Catherine's response and submit the information it requests.
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Terry:

Boots on the ground in your local neighborhood is the only effective way to get a real price. Online sites like Trulia and Zillow are only going to give you ballpark numbers – not real helpful.

Get a local Realtor to come to your home, look it over and give you a free, up-to-date local CMA.

It’s the only way, unless you want to pay an appraiser a minimum of $400.00.
Connie Inmon, Agent, Cypress, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Terry, Real estate is localized and depends on how homes that are comparable to yours are selling in your neighborhood. Your best avenue is to get a Realtor to do a CMA (comparative market analysis) which is based on homes that are currently for sale and homes that have sold within the last 3 - 6 months in your area. Go to http://www.yourneighborhoodinfo.net, fill out the information and you will get a very detailed report on what's going on in your subdivision.

best of luck,
Connie Inmon
RE/MAX
713-542-2845
Web Reference:  http://www.connieinmon.com
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Hi Terry, do not try to do this on your own!
You need the expertise of a professional area Realtor, someone who is very familiar with your area...
Each and every home is different in size, floor plan, lot size, location, upgrades and updates and the experienced Realtor has seen many many homes, and can preview similar ones to yours currently on the
market to compare to yours and give you a good price range for your initial asking price....

The agent can also take you to see a few competing properties in your price range, so that YOU also become informed and convinced of the most competitive asking price....

And your Realtor will also be able to assist you in preparing your home for sale, staging, painting, small repairs etc. etc. to show your home BEST to all potential buyers. The Agent will also be able to give you some idea of current negotiation %, and what your net to seller may be at a certain sale price, and also give you an idea based on how many homes are on the market and how many in your similar price range have recently sold, how long your home may be on the market before it sells!

Good luck, discuss all your concerns and ask all your questions, the Realtor will be delighted to answer them and get you all the information you need to make a well informed decision and thereafter remember communicate with your Agent, YOU ARE BOTH in this together, as the Agent is just as interested in selling your home as YOU are!
Edith YourRealtor4Life and your Chicago Connection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
Web Reference:  http://tinyurl.com/MeetEdith
Carol Rowley, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Terry, The best way to get a true comparative market analysis is to have a qualified and experienced agent who works in your market come see your home and then run the appropriate data for you. I'd be happy to help you and I live and work in this area all the time. Many thanks.
Carol
Greenwood King Properties
713-942-6898
Kaki Vallee, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Please follow this link: http://www.houstonluxuryhomevalues.com
This will generate a custom report on your home and neighborhood.
Please call with any questions.
Diane Schrak…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Hey Terry, I would be happy to do a comparative maeket analysis for you. Please email me with your address. Thanks!

Diane Hermis
Total Real Estate Services
832-620-6304
D.hermis@sbcglobal.net
Lucie Ogdee,…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Nov 22, 2010
I agree that data on Trulia can sometimes be confusing. Let me know if you would like a free comparative market analysis on your home

Lucie Ogdee, MBA
713-539-1006
www,BetterHoustonHomes.info
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Keep in mind that not all online information may be accurate nor up to date--if you need to know the value of your home, consider contacting a few agents from different realty offices and ask for a CMA--comparative market analysis--after reviewing the data, a determination on price can be made--and if looking to sell, you may wish to hire one of those agents--or consider hiring a professional appraiser.
Lyle Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Terry

The best way to estimate your home's value is by having a local real estate agent do a free market analysis on your home. Websites like Trulia and Zillow, while they can be helpful, do not provide sufficient information to determine true market value on a home.