How Trulia can make money?

Asked by Victor, Miami Beach, FL Mon Dec 3, 2007

Trulia has around 2 million of unique visitors a day. That is Maximum 30 million of pageviews a month. Maximum you can sell 1 000 of impressions, even with 5 advertising blocks on the page, like Trulia has - is $10 per 1 000 impressions. So that mean that trulia can make maximum 300 000 or probably even less. Trulia has 50 people working for them - with office costs, taxes and so on - that should be minimum 300 000 a month - and plus advertising and all other things. Still I don't understand - they should be be getting a huge minus every month.

Answers

8
Pete Flint, Home Buyer, Noe Valley, San Francisco, CA
Tue Dec 4, 2007
Hi Victor,
This is Pete from Trulia
Interesting to read your analysis on the business model.

You're right, we are making a loss today, but as a new company we're investing in growth, by hiring smart engineers and product teams to build a useful search engine, community services like Trulia Voices and advertising products.
While I'm not able to break down the specific numbers, we're really delighted with our progress and have growing our visitor numbers by double digits on average every month for at least the last 12 months and our revenues have been growing even faster than visits to the sites. As you highlight, we're a media website that makes money from advertising and it is working pretty well and we will be profitable in the future with this model as we invest some of the $18m of venture capital we have raised to build a great website. It is these growth rates in visitors and even faster growth in revenues that will help turn the red ink into the black ink in the future.

We're very confident and excited here at trulia about our prospects as a company.

Pete
Victor, , Miami Beach, FL
Wed Dec 5, 2007
Sylvia, actually you have a link in this post to your site. For instance, if it would be regular link your site would be higher in search engines. But now - it is not influenced absolutly. That is not fair - you spent your time on Trulia Voices for chatting and so on and Trulia is a greedy about giving you a little PR. All other projects give PR out everywhere - it is some kind of "thank you" for their members - like wikipedia for example - in the bottom of every page you can see all external links.
Victor, , Miami Beach, FL
Tue Dec 4, 2007
Thanks everybody for the answers - that is very nice to see a lot of friendly people, who are always willing to help you.

Pete - thanks for your answer personally. As you are here, I have one more question for you: why all the links in trulia voices and in agents profiles are marked with a NO FOLLOW tag. That means that you are not giving any PR to all this kind people and to their respective web-sites. As Google certified Marketing Specialist I can say that Trulia has a lot of PR and trust from Search Engines and especially from Google, if you share with little of that with your members nothing will happen to your positions in search engines - but they will get a little payback from that - which is always pleasant.

Moreover - they are making user-generated content for you - which is a great contribution for you and that what will . I am sure - it will be fair for you to make a step towards your members. This content collects a lot of small keywords, like for example this post is collecting traffic on Trulia make money keyword already :)

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&complete=1&hl=e…
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Dec 5, 2007
Nice Job, Victor, on the suggestion to Trulia for the Realtors. Although we are providing free service here for the consumers (thus helping Trulia build their business), it sure would be nice to be recognized if Trulia can provide us with the presence as you have described.

Sylvia
Pete, , Portland, OR
Tue Dec 4, 2007
Outside of advertising, i'd imagine they are collecting a lot of valuable data along they way. Before you know it Trulia may the authority for real estate trends that people will refer to.
Suzanne Walk…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Tue Dec 4, 2007
I'm impressed Victor, you seem to have been on Trulia a short time and you pulled the CEO out to make a statement.

Since I don't know how long you have been here I will say this, In my opinion, Trulia is on to something. Let's see how they play their cards. Very few business models result in the black this early in start up.

It does say something Pete Flint is reading our post. Hopefully, that means he'll keep his finger on the pulse and continue to let Trulia grow in the best interest of the public.

Trulia is exploding. It's amazing how many more visitors are here versus just two months ago. I know it must be mind boggling to some of the 'old timers'.

Just had to give you a thumbs up for being on top of the game in numbers.

Susan Walker
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Dec 4, 2007
Hi Victor:

Personally, I am not worried about what Trulia does; I don't have time for that. I will concentrate on my own Real Estate career and I will let Trulia worry about how they can make money.

Sylvia
Victor, , Miami Beach, FL
Tue Dec 4, 2007
I understand that it is some kind of protection from not generous people, but anyway, you can make some kind of limit for example NO FOLLOW will disappear after 50 answers for example.