which place in US has good public transportation?

Asked by Baybird, Bay Area cupertino san francisco palo alto berkeley marin county sonoma county vallejo Mon Jun 11, 2007

I want to move to a city where public transportation is good and I don't have to depend on having my own car option.

Answers

7
Jaira (Ventu…, , 91360
Mon Jun 11, 2007
This is a site which rates public transportations in the U.S.

http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-rankings/
1. New York, NY
2. Chicago, IL
3. Boston, MA
4. Oakland, CA*
4. San Francisco, CA*
6. Washington, DC
7. Philadelphia, PA
8. Long Beach, CA*
8. Los Angeles, CA*
10. Atlanta, GA
11. Seattle, WA
12. Houston, TX
13. Miami, FL
14. Baltimore, MD
15. Arlington, TX
15. Dallas, TX
Ross Rylance, , 37215
Thu Jun 14, 2007
Having lived in Chicago for 25 years and not owning a car for 20 of them I have to go with what I know. I have also lived in NYC and in San Francisco and I would give them great ratings too! But Chicago has the best system between trains and buses and they have to becuase in the winter you cannot stand outside for more than ten minutes some days. As a result they have the most interconnected routes running 24/7.
I currently live in Nashville and they have about the worst public transit in the country. You need a car to live here!
Hope that helps,
Web Reference:  http://RossRylance.com
Florida Mort…, , Pembroke Pines, FL
Mon Jun 11, 2007
I would say Washington, DC and New York have the best I have been using in the past.

The one place I would say is not very good is South Florida. it is OK, but is far from the best.
Trulia Roger, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Mon Jun 11, 2007
San Francisco proper has pretty good public transportation, but only folks who haven't used a good public transportation system can claim the Bay Area as a whole is well served by BART.

New York's subway is a superb example of what can be done with mass transit.
Lawrence, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Jun 11, 2007
As far as I know, New York City and Chicago are the two places in the US where it is extremely common not to own a car. There are a handful of other cities where it is fairly easy to get around without a car, but those two are above the pack in terms of public transit options.
Rainbow, , 94609
Mon Jun 11, 2007
Oakland does not have good public transportation. I'm not sure what this list is actually talking about, but Oakland and LA should not be even close to the top cities in the country.
Megan, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Jun 11, 2007
San Francisco has great public transit. stay far away from los angeles